Watchtower's Weirdest Photograph?

by Marvin Shilmer 66 Replies latest jw friends

• mrquik
    mrquik

Reminds me of the purges Stalin initiated & the people he had removed from photos. Same mentality here.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Brilliant find. How did you do spot that?

Also, is this photo in any of the publications, like the Proclaimers book?

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Jeepers! They couldn't look less joyful if they were at a funeral!

That's fascinating about the drop in numbers. I hope that happens again.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

That's not Fred Franz sitting next to Bonnie Boyd, is it?

• mind blown
    mind blown

Hi Marvin...it looks like three men were planted in the photo with facial hair. Two with beards and one with a mustache. One of the bearded men look like Russell.......

• St George of England
    St George of England

Photoshop had not been thought of when this photo was taken but negatives were routinely 'retouched'.

I don't want to spoil a good story but I suspect that the guy in question simply moved during the exposure and his blurred image was retouched afterwards. In these days films were extremely slow and so long exposures, especially indoors were the norm.

George

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

He looks more than "touched up" to me. (And I've seen quite a few shops in my time ;)

The shadows on the figure convey no depth. Just compare his arms to the guy on his right. We should be seeing very similar shadow pattern on the figure in question, but it's nothing like anyone else in the photograph. Sure, they put a shadow on the left side of his face, but it's pretty obvious there was serious alteration of the figure when you compare it to the detail of the woman's face on his left.

As far as the significance, however, I don't think it means anything. As another poster said, they person probably moved or something. I highly doubt Rutherford would allow the photo to be taken without everyone in their seat, especially since there are some standing who could have easily filled the chair. So someone was sitting there, but for some reason their image was altered. Why? I don't much care or see any reason why it would matter to us today.

There are plenty of other whacky images published by the WTS.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

almost looks like someone has cut an image out of another photograph or picture and placed on top, then photographed the edited image

• Terry
  • dmouse
    dmouse

Looks like some quite famous people there.

Right at the back, between the windows, I can see Groucho Marx.

And second table in from the front, in the middle facing the camera, it either the 'Woman in Black' or Queen Victoria.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit