Survey: Who here is an atheist? Who here still believes in God?

by Christ Alone 295 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Other than the bible and people telling me I need to have faith to believe in a god...this God concept has never confirmed or denied this itself.

So really, what we would have to put faith in is what the bible (a book) says, and what people say about what they feel is true. And that's ALL we have. There is no more evidence than that to support any other god belief either. Mankind has created thousands of gods, most of which, the vast majority of people no longer believe in. But at the time people had faith in these gods too.

Even if I wanted to believe in and have faith in what people say about their gods. How would I choose which god to put my faith in? None of the gods that people have faith in confirm their reality, in fact without this faith the god ceases to exist at all (a christian god does not exist to a hindu, and the hindu gods do not exist to christians). It's all hear say and second hand information.

Some non atheists will tell you not to listen to them but to listen to god...well I've never 'heard' from him. Then it becomes a matter of HOW to hear from god or more faith. But exactly how much faith is needed? I used to have faith coming out my eyeballs...never 'heard' from any of the gods. Maybe I had the wrong god. Maybe I asked the wrong way, maybe I didn't have enough faith, though god knows (if he was real) that I did. Would a god be so picky that if you asked questions the wrong way he wouldn't speak to you?

But non atheists all swear by their chosen god and tell you to have faith no matter who their god is. Vishnu, Krisna, Jehovah, Zeus, Jesus (if you're a trinitarian)...etc.

Now either most of the world is lying about thier chosen gods. Which must be the case if only one is real (monotheistic belief). Or they are kidding themselves. I prefer the second option because I don't like to think that everyone lies. I know I didn't when I believed.

• atrapado
    atrapado

I cannot find a logical explication why God would need faith from his own creation. Perhaps he likes to toy arround with things and experiment at his pleasure. And as cofty pointed out faith and trust are different. You need to build trust when did God build this trust with each individual. He perform all those miracles according to the Bible but shows no evidence today(and we can't even proove that they happen back then). Yet he lets people manipulate his so call word and enslaved masses.

Either God just decided to stop giving proof because he got tired(whatever reason you want) or because they didn't happen. Now there are those that say we don't have the right to question God because he created us. Well until God shows up and tells me not to question him and explains in terms I can understand why he is doing what he is doing then perhaps I'll stop questioning.

• tec
    tec

Because a) Faith is linked to trust as CA said.

Because b) Not everything in this universe can be seen, touched, tasted, heard, smelled, measured by physical means. We have to learn to 'hear' and 'see' in spirit, because the spiritual exists. Rather than depend completely on what our physical senses tell us, because those are limited. So faith, also linked to trust, helps teach us this.

Everything that God does or requires or asks is for our benefit.

peace,

tammy

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Because b) Not everything in this universe can be seen, touched, tasted, heard, smelled, measured by physical means.

what cannnot be measured in this universe by physical means?

• tec
    tec

The spiritual.

• still thinking
    still thinking

trust is earnt...you would not trust a sugeon to operate on you if he had no quilifications.

You would not trust a partner who didn't SHOW you that you could trust them. Relationships don't consist of blind trust like faith does.

• tec
    tec

My trust HAS been earned.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

For example, a wife gets into a car with her husband driving, trusting him to drive safely, even though he often drives faster than she would on winter roads.

I would not trust my husband if he was driving to fast and if he started to drive unsafely I would as him to pull over. (yeah, I'm that back seat driver...LOL). And if he was really dangerous and he always drove unsafely I wouldn't drive with him.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thats nice for you tec...but like I said...second hand information.

• atrapado
    atrapado

@tec ' Everything that God does or requires or asks is for our benefit.'

Sure you can read that in some book and hear people say it. But the evidence shows otherwise. Does repeating something make it so?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit