Survey: Who here is an atheist? Who here still believes in God?

by Christ Alone 295 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"No. Just like the singularity could not have come from nothing. There has to be a place for "eternal" whether it is the universe or God."

Hence, my membership in the Church of I Don't Know(sprinkled with a dash of I don't care)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Christ Alone: Imagine a god with such poor communication skills that the people standing right before him were not convinced.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Ah, mea culpa, Halthworker, I derailed your thread with Douglas Adams.

Oops. Sorry. I replied to your PM, by the way

• sizemik
    sizemik
    There has to be a place for "eternal" whether it is the universe or God.

"Eternal" gives the impression of a constant . . . a static state. "Eternal" can also be in a constant state of change, but is seldom viewed as such.

Just a thought.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Christ Alone: Imagine a god with such poor communication skills that the people standing right before him were not convinced.

I've heard this statement before (and commented on it above). And I know you know what I'm gonna bring up....FREE WILL!!! Believers love to talk about free will, don't you know!!!

I don't believe I would like to force anyone to love me. I would want them to come to me willingly. Would everyone? No. No matter what I said and did there would be plenty that wouldn't want anything to do with me. Just because people don't respond to what God HAS communicated (or what I believe He has), that does not make Him a poor communicator.

No one anywhere is going to be able to convince everyone of anything.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

"Eternal" gives the impression of a constant . . . a static state. "Eternal" can also be in a constant state of change, but is seldom viewed as such .

I get what you're saying, sizemik. When I talk about eternal I mean that either something always was. SOMETHING. Something NEVER comes from nothing. And this is the atheists achilles heel, IMO. Either the universe (or at least the "stuff" that made up the singularity) was eternal or something came from nothing. Either the universe is eternal, God is eternal, or something came from nothing.

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

back at ya chariklo

ca - get this thread back on track, we need more votes

• elderelite
    elderelite

The free will aspect is worth noting CA, but then i have to point out that in jewish tradition (the bible) it refers to having a spritual need. If we have a "need" to be spritual like a need to eat or sleep then is it free will that the need is induldged in? Is it free will that we eat? We may choose to eat, but a healthy person will not deny themselve sustanice... God wouldnt be interfearing with any excersise of free will. He would be giving a way to properly meet a need HE (or she for zid) gave us

• Left in the Cold
    Left in the Cold

I believe in God. Right now anyway.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Believer. A moderate to liberal Christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit