Survey: Who here is an atheist? Who here still believes in God?

by Christ Alone 295 Replies latest jw friends

• Liberty
    Liberty

atheist

• caliber
    caliber

..WE have to take responsibility for our actions and not blame it on a devil or wait for a god to open the way - all of that is in our own hands - so in a sense you are your own god."

So then is there anyone without a god ?

If you do not follow , you are a leader..

with knowledge to know good and bad

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

As Stephen Colbert said, an agnostic is just an atheist without balls. I guess you could consider me agnostic atheist but I prefer to keep it simple, atheist.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    an agnostic is just an atheist without balls.

Nope. They couldn't be more different.

An agnostic doesn't know, or even if he really doesn't think there is a god he allows that at least there might be some information out there that could change his mind. An agnostic is not arrogant. he knows he does not know everything. Moreoften than not, an agnostic will oisten to others' opinikons, even to the opinionated, and he will respect another's position or belief. he might want to discuss, but he will never hector.

An atheist doesn't believe there is a god. He may adamantly declare there is no god. Very often he will say he has considered the matter and done his research. He finds there is no evidence for god and that's enough for him. That means, he does not allow for the fact that other information may be found. He is content to say that because he doesn't believe there is no god, there is no god. Thus, he places his own abilities and beliefs and understanding above that of everyone else. (This is not true of many who call themselves atheists; in conversation it becomes clear that they have the qualities of an agnostic even though they think they're atheist.)

I know which character I prefer!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"he does not allow for the fact that other information may be found"

I've never encountered such a person. Not even Richard Dawkins holds this position. Most atheists are agnostics, in my personal experience.

As I quoted on page two of this thread:

"Virtually all atheists would change their position given evidence of a god or something we call synonymous with god"

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    I've never encountered such a person. Not even Richard Dawkins holds this position. Most atheists are agnostics, in my personal experience.

I think you may have missed some recent posts on here, leavingwt.

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

Hope CA counts all the votes Chariklo

love HW

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

LOL Healthworker!

Trouble is, it isn't an exact poll. Still, you're right, each vote here is identfiable and countable.

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

Hi, Chariklo!

"Trouble is, it isn't an exact poll. Still, you're right, each vote here is identfiable and countable. "

Yup, think this is as good as it gets! Think most people here are MORE honest than they should

And then I finally get those answers I asked for in that other thread, you know..

Love HW

• cofty
    cofty

I am certain there is no god.

I accept the vanishingly small possibility of new evidence.

I am not an agnostic - agnostics reserve judgement.

I made my decision based on evidence beyond all reasonable doubt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit