Recommend a Book

by Black Man 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Swan
    Swan

For a good mystery:

Murder on the Iditarod Trail by Sue Henry

It was not only an exciting mystery but also an exciting race. It was fun to find out who-dun-it and to see who would win. It even had a map so you could follow along as the race progressed. It reminded me of:

Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour

Which was another race/chase type of story set during the cold war. Very good. Mr. L'Amour was famous for his acurate detailed depictions of his settings. Another author does the same in her books:

A Superior Death by Nevada Barr

Ill Wind by Nevada Barr

Liberty Falling by Nevada Barr

These are three of hers I have read so far and I really like them. Each book is a mystery that takes place in a different U.S. National Park where her heroine is a park ranger. She describes these parks in such great detail that the setting becomes an intregal part of the story.

Enjoy.

Tammy

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Anyone up for a good laugh...

The Sweeto Potato Queens Book of Love by Jill Connor Browne.

Arrowstar

• reubenfine
    reubenfine

The Boomer Bible by RF Laird, the funniest book I ever read.

"And so there will be a great renaissance of belief in you,

2 And once again, waves of hatred will fan out across the planet,

3 In your name,

4 Bringing hope and salvation and freedom from thought to millions and millions of your followers."

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

How Jesus became God -- forgotten the author momentarily -- but he is American -- shows the Trinity for what it is the - biggest piece of garbage ever -- and it one of the things the WTBTS is correct about

• talesin
    talesin

mulan,

right on with Outlander series, and anything by Nelson deMille - deMille, could it have been Testament, or First Blood, or the Lieutenant's Daughter? He has so many great ones.

Here's a couple of my other favs

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (also, any of her Darkover series - all in paperback xcellent sci-fi, don't have to be read in sequence)

The Womens Room by Marilyn French (also, My Mother, My Self)

Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson, who also wrote The Keep, The Tomb (his books are about conflict of good vs evil)

White Ninja, Sian, Angel Eyes, or any of the Nicholas Linnear series by Eric Van Lustbader

On Writing by Stephen King (for anyone who LOVES to read and/or write)

any of the I, Robot books by Isaac Asimov (there's 14 in all, and they don't have to be read in sequence)

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

If you like legal thrillers, anything by Peri O'Shaughanessy (sp?)

King Rat, by James Clavell (prequel to the Shogun series)

Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou (and anything else she writes)

Night, by Elie Wiesel

OKAY, I'll stop now!

talesin

(yeah, I'm a bookworm)

• Swan
    Swan
    Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Yes! I loved this book. I sometimes feel that I could very easily have red shoes too and not be able to stop dancing. I know there is a big hole in my life and am aware of the obsessive/compulsive nature that could be unleashed in trying to fill that hole.

Tammy

• City Fan
    City Fan

Have to recommend -

The Saga of the Exiles by Julian May - 4 books which are:

The Many Colored Land, The Golden Torc, The Non-Born King, The Adversary.

Plus anything by Deepak Chopra

• talesin
    talesin

swan,

yes, an AMAZING book and, although written for womyn, the parables and lessons learned can be utilized by everyone. I have shared with (some of) my male friends and they have found it useful learning as well.

Funny thing about this book. I will be going through a rough patch, and I'll pick it up and begin to read a chapter randomly. Seems that I always hit on the lesson I need to get me through the hard time. It's good to talk to another who has discovered this treasure.

t

• Prudence
    Prudence

I recently read To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee , for the second time.

I was reminded after reading the book, that one should not think they know a person or understand what someone is going though, until they have walked a mile in their shoes. It is a great classic and I love the movie too!

Prudence

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

please please PLEASE read The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. i was put off by the title but bought it anyway, i can't say why as i rarely read fiction, but i'm so glad i did. the language is just gorgeous...i've always wanted to go to india; after i read this book i went out and got myself a passport! :P

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit