Recommend a Book

by Black Man 78 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

SUSCARRA,

Light One and Two were authored by Judge Rutherford. What? You don't like science fiction?

• Mulan
    Mulan

AGuest: I never would have believed we would like the same books.

How could I have forgotten "The Poisonwood Bible"? What a great book.
    And "The Far Pavillions" too. Another 2 by M.M. Kaye are "Shadow on the Moon" and "Trade Winds". Loved them all.

The last two years, I have read several by Nelson De Mille, too. "Gold Coast", "Spencerville" and another, but can't remember the title. I think it's bedtime. My eyes are slamming shut!!

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• heathen
    heathen

lets see here :I am an avid sci fi horror fan so I would recomend stephen king THe shining or the stand 2001 a space odessy and if you are into fantasy the Tolkien collection is excellent also the sword of shanarah By Terri brooks who is also one of my favorite reads.If you really want a total experience in the thinking behind religion try the srewtape letters by CS.Lewis very bizarre.

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Whitley Strieber - Majestic
    Stephen King - The TommyKnockers, IT.
    Anything by Arthur C. Clarke + Isaac Asimov
    Microserfs - Douglas Coupland
    Excession - Iain M. Banks
    Anything by Terry Pratchett
    Flux - Steven Baxter
    Neuromancer - William Gibson
    Anything by Robert Silverland.

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• Doc_jedd
    Doc_jedd

I`m currently reading the works of H.P. Lovecraft .......Jedd

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

"Moby Dick" - Herman Melville. The classic struggle of man versus the inevitability of the universe.

"King of the World" - About Muhammed Ali - can't remember the author, but I just finished it.

"The Time Machine" - H.G. Wells. MUCH better than any movie version.

"Battlefield Earth" - L. Ron Hubbard. Don't worry - you won't find any kooky Scientology stuff in Hubbard's sci-fi works (but it's easy to see how he came up the wacky ideas they promote). A real page-turner, which is good, considering it's over 400 pages long. Again, MUCH better than the awful movie Travolta did last year!

"Native Son", and "Black Boy" - Richard Wright.

"The Autobiography of Malcolm X" - Alex Haley

"The Souls of Black Folk" - W.E.B. Dubois

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings", and "The Collected Poems of Maya Angelou" - Maya Angelou

"Any day spent NOT knocking on doors is a good day!"

• mike047
    mike047

"FLINT" by Louis L'Amour.
    I have read all his books. 100+ I think.
    I have over 95 in hardcover.

• Oldhippie
    Oldhippie

Just finished "Timeline" by Michael Crichton.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
    End-Time Visions by Richard Abanes
    The Eden Express by Mark Vonnegut
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (Six Volumes) by Stephen Donaldson (Would have listed Lord of the Rings, but several others already did)

So many others...I have about 100 boxes in my cellar from moving, most of it is books. If they were available, I could monopolize the thread with good stuff to read...

Tom

• termite 35
    termite 35

THE RED TENT by Anita Diamant.This book is currently blowing me away!A book of womanhood, told through the eyes of Dinah;this book is so richly descriptive it takes your breath away.I have never read something so evocative and moving.Lust,sibling rivalry,infertility, humour,jealously,murder,ambition,betrayal...and so earthily intimate.I have to tell you to get this book-it's incredible!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit