Recommend a Book

by Black Man 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

That's right....recommend a book...any book that would be a good read......

Mine's is:

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

The Blind Assassins - Margaret Atwood

• Introspection
    Introspection

Just any book? Or are we talking about the "books that help you leave" kind of thing?

• apostate man
    apostate man

Run Baby Run.
    I think the author is Nick Cruz.
    This is a graphic story about Nicky Cruz. He came from Poerto Rico and lived on the mean streets of NY in the 60's I think. Its a good book about gang violence and how he overcame all that to become a minister. I read this book about 15-20 years ago and can't remember any more about it.

It's not so bad to finish second, because the other guy finished second to last. -A.M.
  • refiners fire
    refiners fire

"Crowds and Power".
    Elias Canetti.
    A book about mass psychology and mass control. Laden with historical accounts of how ancient rulers dealt with underlings.
    My favourite account was the King who invited some people who had offended him to dinner.
    The banquet hall was decked out with Black, Death symbols everywhere.
    Including on the dinner plates. He manufactured fantastic lighting to enhance the mood.
    A great book.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Sophies World by Jostein Gaarder

Read this book several years ago and I loved it! Below is amazon.coms synopsis of the plot.

Wanting to understand the most fundamental questions of the universe isn't the province of ivory-tower intellectuals alone, as this book's enormous popularity has demonstrated. A young girl, Sophie, becomes embroiled in a discussion of philosophy with a faceless correspondent. At the same time, she must unravel a mystery involving another young girl, Hilde, by using everything she's learning. The truth is far more complicated than she could ever have imagined.

betweenworlds

Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity. Lord Acton 1834-1902

• LDH
  • Farkel
    Farkel

"The Return of Merlin" - Depok Chopra. It's everything "The Celestine Prophecy" SHOULD have been.

Farkel

• somebody
    somebody

TP For The Bunghole - By Beavis and Butthead

peace,
    somebody

• chezza
    chezza

After i left the org, i really got stuck into reading the worldly books we shouldnt have had time to read, i really like the writer nicholas sparks, he is the guy that wrote message in a bottle that the movie was based on, he also wrote a walk to remember, but his latest book was fabulous too, its called a bend in the road.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit