Recommend a Book

by Black Man 78 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

"HOW TO TURN 10 MILLON DOLLARS WORTH OF REAL ESTATE INTO $2OO DOLLARS CASH IN 30 DAYS"------BY DUB & DUBER

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Cain and Abel by Jeffery Archer...nothing biblical about it...just a great story...I don't like the rest of Archer's work as much...also...anything by Wilbur Smith...some of his work is a bit predictable...but the Courtney series is really really good...I always wanted to be Centainne Courtney....as if!!!

Beck

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

A couple I'm enjoying right now:

Ten Philosophical Mistakes, by American philosopher Mortimer J. Adler.

Things Hidden Since the Foundation of the World, by French anthropologist (and Stanford professor of civilization) Rene Girard.

The first suggests that modern philosophers (to say nothing of average people) are still plagued by mistaken views first advanced by Hobbes, Bekeley, and Hume.

The second provides a remarkable theory of the origin of sacrifice in religion (and religion itself, for that matter), as well as the implications for a radically different understanding of the death of Jesus Christ.

Rational

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

The Bible... If you were a Jo-ho you've never read it before.

Interesting reading.

ofcmad

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl

I still reread this book because it is one of the best books I've ever read. The account of Frankl imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp. What makes the book unique is he was a psychiatrist, and his observations on why some people persevered as opposed to those who gave up and died are profound.

Visions of Glory by Barbara G. Harrison

The best account I've ever read about what it's like to grow up as a JW, and be a woman, be intelligent, go to Bethel to serve, and ultimately break free of the JWs. Deep and moving. This woman opens up her life and emotions completely to the reader.

The Stand (uncut), by Stephen King

Growing up with Armageddon constantly being preached at me led me to appreciate King's version of it as a government-manufactured virus escapes the lab and wipes out most of the population of earth. I loved this book.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

The Lord of the Rings..OF COURSE!!!! All of J.R.R. Tolkien's works; and I'm just finishing up The Chronicles of Narnia for the first time, very interesting.

But for more serious reading: "The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness" by Erich Fromme. It was the first 'worldy' 'critical thinking' book I read in defiance of Watchtower protocol....and I'm still going strong. Erich Fromme has faith that humans WILL work out their problems...and he's been more right on in this prediction than the Watchtower, hey?

UADNA-US (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-United States)

• cellomould
    cellomould

lol to the Bible!
    hahaha

Especially Jude 8-13, the first chapter of Job and the last chapter of Jonah. Not to mention Genesis chapters 2-3. Eye openers if you read them with any functioning brain cells.

I will recommend another book:

American Holocaust
    David Stannard

cellomould

"In other words, your God is the warden of a prison where the only prisoner is your God." Jose Saramago, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

• Mulan
    Mulan

The "Outlander" series, by Diana Gabaldon. Historical fiction.
    1. Outlander
    2. Dragonfly in Amber
    3. Voyager
    4. Drums of August
    5. Fiery Cross
    6. sequals ongoing

This is a great series, set in Scotland, mainly, during the Jacobite rebellion, and afterwards, and involves time travel, and the new world colonies. Really good. My whole family is hooked on this series.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• teejay
    teejay

The Hot Zone – Richard Preston

The Unseen Hand – A. Ralph Epperson

Mama Flora's Family – Alex Haley

p.s. Invisible Man is an American classic, Black. (btw... "Mine's"? "Mine's"? You too, too funny. )

p.p.s. Larc? How to retire in comfort at 95 as a former pioneer ? You are one sick puppy. That was very funny... but you're still sick. K?

• new boy
    new boy

"Conversations with GOd" "And Friendship with GOD" by Neale DONALD WALSCH -------------------"The Seat Of the Soul" and " The Dancing Wi Li Masters" by Gary Zukav-----------"Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda--------anything by Carolyn Myess

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit