Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I get that some believers expect scorn as a fundamental part of their belief and revel in it when they find it and poke and prod when they don't get enough of it.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

// Absolute labels corrupt absolutely//

I like that frankiespeakin. Very true.

As for QM, I have commented on this extensively, and I agree that it would be disingenuous to conclude that all is reducible to matter.
    We still have a lot to discover.

So although I will not say there is no possible intellegent design, I will and can dismiss those gods that are based in old superstitions.
    QM is changing the paradigms, and it seems Nature may have a method to the evolution of our Universe... exciting things to be learned! ;)

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Oh dear. It is perfectly clear from the opening post that the atheists referred to are those exhibiting the described behaviour on this board. Sizemik, no, we haven't gone from one thing to another, at least, not the thread itself. The predictable posters have proved true to form, though, as they circle and head in hoping to score. Then it deviates.

The thread was started after I had observed just one too many examples of the behaviour it describes.

As I said earlier, from one point of view I've failed. From another, the thread has succeeded, though in an oblique kind of way, as illustration is supplied.

Not to worry, though. As we've just been told, we "just can't grasp the concept" that atheists insist is correct. It must be right. They say so. /endsarcasm ...that's for ElderE, he knows why!

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Oh dear. It is perfectly clear from the opening post that the atheists referred to are those exhibiting the described behaviour on this board. Sizemik, no, we haven't gone from one thing to another, at least, not the thread itself. The predictable posters have proved true to form, though, as they circle and head in hoping to score.

I've done nothing more than try to make a reasonable contribution to the discussion . . . I can only conclude this is deliberately designed to offend.

• ammo
    ammo

Chariklo

I think you have pretty much cast a spotlight on the whole situation, and as EE said it's all about ego's. well done!!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

How can that possibly be offensive, Sizemik? I don't understand, and I'm sorry if somehow I've hurt you. I merely answered your point.

you are not included among the predictable posters. I do not see you as part of the behaviour described in the thread. Was it that? Sorry.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Thanks again, Ammo

PS

I don't know that I cast light, but it has certainly been cast.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    The predictable posters have proved true to form, though, as they circle and head in hoping to score.

Do you include your friend ammo in that description? . . . or is it just those who disagree you wish to demonise?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

behavior like this?

"Agnostics are just cowards that won't commit to anything."

"Pagan morals are also much more fun than the Christian ones, just don’t expect the same level of spiritual development or even trustworthiness from a temple prostitute, than from a Christian. If you extrapolate this to the type of society they produce, you can see clearly which one is superior to the other."

" If it bothers you the fact that Christianity is superior to paganism..." "I see the Catholic Church, over hundreds of years, slowly assuming all of the Roman Pagan world into herself, destroying the Pagan world as it was known"
  • undercover
    undercover

If I knew a 30-something year old who still believed in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Great Pumpkin, I would be pretty scornful of him. Of course, I wouldn't harp on it, except when he commented on waiting up for Santa to give him cookies or commented about leaving a tooth under his pillow.

Similarly, for those that believe in other fairy tale creatures, I would be scornful of them whenever they pushed an agenda of their fairy tale friends and their adventures. Otherwise I would leave them to their fantasies and not worry about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit