Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Very well put, Soledad!

• cofty
    cofty

"Well, god didn't answer my prayers....why did he let me down...I lost my husband/wife/child/parent, why did he let that happen?" That to me is what's really behind it.

Then you have a very poor understanding of rationalism

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Soledad - you said it can't be proven. This is pretty hollow - as a believer I really did think it was provable , after all I had proven gods existence to myself. Your statement regarding proof was not shared by the bible authors who went to great lengths to point out how all of nature and all events within it testified of god. What changed?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

To that I say if you are going to look to science to answer the question does god exist, you will be disappointed for now.

This is so simplistic and limited, it's hard to respect. Atheists base their conclusions on a vast array of facts, history, science, logic and reasoning. Reducing it to this just shows how little you understand here---while insisting that you have the answer. Your comment on prayer is almost nonsensical. It's like you are making up two sides of a debate and arguing both sides. Your assertions are not how atheists view these things, so you are arguing a false argument. A strawman.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Very well put, Soledad!

Really? Does your fundamental misunderstanding of atheists really run this deep? This is eye opening.

Enjoy your "Let's bash the atheists while pretending to want to understand them" thread. It's gone beyond ridiculous.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Agreed. The key is investigating the natural world as we now know it. Some here want science to prove god. As of now, hasn't been able to. So they say well if science can't prove, it isn't real.

or there's...0 evidence for anything even remotely approaching god? where did the concept of god originate from? did it possibly originate from early humans trying to explain the world around them? sure seems like it considering how god has evolved through the ages. as humans progressed, god changed and became more and more sophisticated but that doesn't take away from the very poor logic used to justify the existence of god in the first place.

To that I say if you are going to look to science to answer the question does god exist, you will be disappointed for now. That isn't speaking disdainfully of anything.

you're saying that shows a very poor understanding of science and exposes a basic flaw of religious/god logic. the believer seeks to prove the existence of god. science simply works to understand why something happens. there's no control over this at all. in science, everyone has to have this evidence. it has to be replicable. none of this, "well i prayed to god and he gave me the right lotto numbers to play" business.

What I do find disdainful is, again, the prevailing attitude that atheism is the pinnacle of human intelligence and success.

again with this? and where did anyone say that?

People who choose to believe or have a faith are hit over the head with "oh yeah? prove it, prove it." You know damn well it can't be proven now.

it's funny, when most people realize they have no proof of a concept, they realize they might have been wrong...

So what's the real story behind all that? "Well, god didn't answer my prayers....why did he let me down...I lost my husband/wife/child/parent, why did he let that happen?" That to me is what's really behind it.

what's the real story with believers clinging to something they have no proof of and never had any sort of proof of?are they not capable of basic reason and logic? can they not understand simple genetics? that to me is what's really behind it... or am i painting with a very broad brush based on an opinion which has a value of a chocolate starfish?

• Soledad
    Soledad

i'm not sure how to process your view on fact based evidence. that one blows my mind. the universe is built on facts, laws and reality. not opinions

What built the universe? The answer to that is based on opinion at this time. Isn't that the point of the discussion here, somewhat?

great, keep that in mind when you decide to try and cast others as "angry and vengeful" based on an extremely small sample size. a sample size that is, in mathematical terms, worthless.

Small yes, but no less real, truthful and relevant to the topic on hand.

so again, you base your opinions of atheists on a sample size of nil. you know what they say about opinions...

including yours.

• Soledad
    Soledad

Soledad - you said it can't be proven. This is pretty hollow -as a believer I really did think it was provable

The issue then is faith, not belief. Takes faith to believe in something that can't be proven in the moment.

, after all I had proven gods existence to myself. Your statement regarding proof was not shared by the bible authors who went to great lengths to point out how all of nature and all events within it testified of god. What changed?

I don't think anything has changed other than the era of time we live in. Had this collection of books been authored more recently I think there might be some statements pertaining to proof. But who knows.

• cofty
    cofty

What built the universe? The answer to that is based on opinion at this time. Isn't that the point of the discussion here, somewhat?

No not really.

Believers insist that god speaks to them, answers their prayers and performs daily miracles. They tell us that god cares about what who people have sex with and how they do it. They imagine that their holy book is a more reliable source of information about geology and biology than centuries of scientific research.

That's the problem, not a vague notion that there might be a supernatural first cause.

• Soledad
    Soledad

This is so simplistic and limited, it's hard to respect. Atheists base their conclusions on a vast array of facts, history, science, logic and reasoning.

Not all of them, and that's what I'm talking about here. Facts history science logic and reasoning is also very limited and I find hard to respect some it also, especially when it's culturally biased.

The question asked is "why are atheists so intent on scorning believers." I gave an answer based I what I experience with them.

Reducing it to this just shows how little you understand here---while insisting that you have the answer.

Never insisted on having "the answer" just MY answer. See above.

Your comment on prayer is almost nonsensical.

Where is this? I don't belive I commented on prayer

It's like you are making up two sides of a debate and arguing both sides. Your assertions are not how atheists view these things, so you are arguing a false argument. A strawman.

Both sides can be argued, but I choose to take one side based on what I know. And you don't speak for all atheists either. No false arguments anywhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit