Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

It is under faulty deduction. Assuming that someone is not educated or has not read science books, without evidence for this (especially if it is just based on a difference of opinions), is jumping to conclusions.

You are assuming the person saying to go read assumes you haven't. Faulty deduction, tec?

• tec
    tec

I am not assuming that at all. If someone states it with the assumption that you have not done so... then it applies.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. [1] [2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. [3] [4] [5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. [4] [5] [6] [7] Atheism is contrasted with theism, [8] [9] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists. [9] [10]

The term atheism originated from the Greek ?θεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshipped by the larger society. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves using the word "atheist" lived in the 18th century. [11]

Arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to social and historical approaches. Rationales for not believing in any supernaturaldeity include the lack of empirical evidence, [12] [13] the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. [12] [14] Although some atheists have adopted secular philosophies, [15] [16] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere. [17] Many atheists hold that atheism is a more parsimonious worldview than theism, and therefore the burden of proof lies not on the atheist to disprove the existence of God, but on the theist to provide a rationale for theism. [18]

Atheism is accepted within some religious and spiritual belief systems, including Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Neopagan movements [19] such as Wicca, [20] and nontheistic religions. Jainism and some forms of Buddhism do not advocate belief in gods, [21] whereas Hinduismholds atheism to be valid, but some schools view the path of an atheist to be difficult to follow in matters of spirituality. [22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Ahhh..I'm starting to see why the definitions seem....off.

It was originally a term applied to people who didn't believe in a god by people who did. That comes accross loud and clear. Maybe it is time it had a new definition. It looks like there are many definitions that could be applied to Atheism.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Stating "you need to read some books on science" says nothing about what the person knows or things about whether you have already read some science books. You are adding in that it does in the form of assuming that.

For example, there is this guy that works for me that constantly asks questions about information in an SDK he has already read. I usually tell him "you need to read the SDK". I know he has. He needs to read it again.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Are you guys honestly saying there is no such thing as an anti-theist?

• tec
    tec

Okay, EP. I would have to go all the way back and try to find the place where the comment was made to begin with.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

knowsnothing - A theist isn't just somebody who vaguely asserts there might be a higher power of some sort. A theist goes much further and believes in a deity that is involved in the world. you might want to google "the imminence of god". Theism stands in opposition to deism.

I am an anti-theist but it would also be possible to believe in god and oppose theism.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    A theist goes much further and believes in a deity that is involved in the world.

Cofty, what possible negative ramifications could come from it?

I am an anti-theist but it would also be posisble to believe in god and oppose theism.

An anti-theist atheist? How does that work? You oppose a god you don't believe in?

• cofty
    cofty

what possible negative ramifications could come from it?

Sorry I don't follow?

An anti-theist atheist? How does that work?

There are theologians who believe in more sophisticated versions of god such as panentheism - not to be confused with pantheism. There are deists who do not believe in a theistic god but are not atheists.

A theist believes in a god who is intimately involved in the world, who answers prayers and provides good things.

Its possible to be opposed to this concpet of god and not be an atheist.

• A.M. Number 1
    A.M. Number 1

I see it the other way. it is theists, religionists etc, that send out missionaries and try and convert other people even threatening death and all sorts of punishment if everyone doesn't believe like them. Not atheists. Any bagging on theists by atheists is so small in comparison to thousands of years of outright genocide against atheists on the part of the God believers. This is really therefore a ridiculous argument that completely ignores history of religion. If atheists started genociding theists then you might have a point, but atheists are usually too ethical to do that. They are literally too good for God apparently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit