Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

CA - I think the crux of the matter is not the degree of certainty. Atheism is more of a passive or negative position, "disbelief" rather than a positive "there is no god" position.

Most people are either believers, or as Dawkins said they "believe in belief".

Atheists just go a bit further and say something like, "I don't believe in god due to lack of evidence and I don't think belief or faith is a virtue I am missing out on".

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Sounds reasonable, cofty. Thanks.

So what would you call someone that expressed the positive "There is no God". Does there need to be a term for the negative and another definition for the positive? Or is this splitting hairs.?

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    So what would you call someone that expressed the positive "There is no God".

Generally, that's what's called an anti-theist.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I'd call them an atheist.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Oxford English Dictionary: about as authoritative as it gets.

atheism: disbelief in the existence of god; godlessness.

Nope...LOL

god·less (gdls)

adj. 1. Recognizing or worshiping no god. 2. Wicked, impious, or immoral.

Definition for godlessness:
    Web definitions:
    atheism: the doctrine or belief that there is no God

doc·trine /'däktrin/
    Noun:
    1. A belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a church, political party, or other group.
    2. A stated principle of government policy, mainly in foreign or military affairs: "the Monroe Doctrine".

I'm finding it quite funny finding a definition.

I like coftys so far

• Satanus
    Satanus

'So what would you call someone that expressed the positive "There is no God".'

That's the antichrist. No wait, the antichrist says there is no christ.

S

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Take it up with the Oxford English dictionary, still thinking. I just copied straight from the page.

let us know how you get on.

• cofty
    cofty

So what would you call someone that expressed the positive "There is no God" - CA

I might use that expression as a shorthand but there would be an implied "subject to the vanishingly small possibility of, as yet unknown, evidence to the contrary".

If somebody means they can prove 100% that no version of god could possibly exist I would call them foolish.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Thanks Cofty. I think that's fair. So the dictionary definition holds with a qualifier as all words usually do.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes its all about context I think. Words are imperfect tools.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit