Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Which Christ Sab? Adoptionist Christ, hypo static Trinitarian Christ, Marcionite Christ, Ebionite Christ, Mormon Christ? Which one is real Sab?

To correct you again, you cannot be atheist and have a belief in any 'real' god be it any of the many Christs and Krishnas that have historically been worshipped by ignorant people without access to accurate knowledge of physics or history.

Edit missing 'historically'

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Which Christ Sab? Adoptionist Christ, hypo static Trinitarian Christ, Marcionite Christ, Ebionite Christ, Mormon Christ? Which one is real Sab?

I can only answer that question conclusively for myself. The same goes for you.

-Sab

• Soledad
    Soledad

I really don't understand your crap attitude Qcmbr.

Anyway, I'm an equal opportunity believer.

But if it makes you feel better, feel free to pick one deity for me and make whatever point you wish to make based on it.

Ganesh is fine. He's my homeboy.

Shoot.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

It's because you are posting strange unsupportable assertions and thinking you are saying stuff of great import. Remember you need to explain why Ganesh is equally valid for the observed universe.

Shoot.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Hey, Soledad, Ganesh is very appealing. He removes obstacles, doesn't he? There's something very comfortable and reassuring about his elephant-headed persona, and I love the story of how it came to be.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Just to be clear, responding to this is tiresome, but I feel it's needed. You cannot equate your non belief of Zeus with your non belief of Christ simply because you never believed in Zeus to start with.

it certainly makes for an interesting question though. those people thought zeus was real with 0 physical evidence to back that up. are you making the same mistake?

Bringing up Zues, or any other false gods for that matter, just detracts from the main issue, that you stopped believing in Christ, the REAL God.

evidence that there was a christ?

evidence that he is the REAL god?

evidence that he performed any miracles?

I stopped believing in Christ too, check my post history for proof. But as I contemplated on what atheists like you had to say

I realized that all your are doing is equating Christ, the real God, with Zeus a false one and then calling the real God also false

(you are making a mistake). If you look into history you can see that gods were just a way of establishing order in a civilization.

The people at the top of these governmental structures knew that it was their military prowess, among other secular pursuits,

that created their power, NOT divine authority. But they claimed otherwise making them liars fit for destruction, and now they are gone.

and how do you know that christianity hasn't been co-opted in the exact same way? everything about the history of christianity suggests that it's nothing more than a means to control people. the catholic church in particular, but we could also point to the church of england, any mega church, and the real estate holdings and business dealings of the jehovah's witnesses, mormons and the roman catholic church which has been known to do some money laundering for some very unholy people.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It is understandable that they simply haven't realised that Jesus came dispelling that idea by showing and telling of God's love, showing a father who counted the very hairs on the head, teaching that the poor and rejected are especially cherished.

Pointing out where your reasoning is flawed, is not taking offense. Pointing out that you continue to falsely portray our position, is not looking for hurt. Did you WANT to understand the atheist perspective, or did you just want to declare what you think it is?

Regarding the highlighted portion----this is proof that you DO NOT understand our perspective, so I will try to state it again, maybe using different words, and hopefully it will make its way through.

It does not matter why Jesus came. It does not matter if this god is so wonderful, so perfect, so moral, so wise, and so powerful and loving that we all look forward to a future dancing among the rainbows with butterflies. It. Does. Not. Matter.

It does not matter if this god is stoking the flames of hell for most of humankind, sending plagues and floods as punishment, empowering slave owners and rapists. It. Does. Not. Matter.

Our issue is not with a particular story about a god---but with the entire concept! Just because something sounds wonderful, it doesn't make it true. Just because it sounds horriic, doesn't make it true.

Get on the yellow brick road and head for Oz and all your wildest dreams will come true. But OZ does not exist! Even if the wizard is reported to be the most wonderful person in the world, if he DOES NOT EXIST, then an atheist will not set out on the yellow brick road.

There! Now you've forced me to use a Wizard of Oz analogy!

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    I can only answer that question conclusively for myself. The same goes for you.

which sounds suspiciously like, "it's real to me and that's what matters"

so you want to claim the "REAL god" yet you can't point to who that is. i'm afraid that does not compute. if there is a real god, then we ought to know which god is the RIGHT one no?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Bringing up Zues, or any other false gods for that matter, just detracts from the main issue, that you stopped believing in Christ, the REAL God.

LOL. We are equal opportunity nonbelievers. Muslims and Jews don't believe that Christ is the REAL god, and frankly, many Christians don't believe that Christ is the REAL God. We reject them all.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

New Chapter, you forgot one bit. It. Does. Not. Matter. To. You.

Not sure why you need all those full stops but when in Rome...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit