Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

In case the shot accross the bow went unseen, i deal with science not philosophy

I was thinking something similar, but you put it succinctly. Like talking to a cardiologist and trying to score points by challenging him to a duel on astronomy. Seriously, Stonecutter, your responses seem completely disconnected from the statements being made---it's like we are taking part in two different conversations.

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Seriously, Stonecutter, your responses seem completely disconnected from the statements being made---it's like we are taking part in two different conversations.

Why should I interpret this as anything less than an avoidance of my question? Irrelevant or not, would you please answer?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

No. I repeated Snare's comment to say that I don't debate or discuss philosophy. I know some people really like it, and I'm sure I draw on some concepts, but I find it tiresome as a point of deep study.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I didn't understand the question....

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

This discussion is awesome and is a great microcosm of the fate of faith based religion. Among those supporting the premise of a god ( apparently any god) it has been claimed and not refuted by any other faith based posters:

• God cannot be proved being outside of time and space ( which must make it difficult to do stuff but let's not point out that impossibility.)
    • The bible is junk ( certainly the OT and much of the NT and then any verse that can't be defended )
    • Religion is bad ( so even the organisation set up by bible Christ is rejected, those poor apostles trying to meet together to partake of the body of Christ have been thrown under the bus. )
    • There is no physical evidence for God - This universe and all life within it is not useful for evidence apparently being physical.
    • All beliefs are equally valid. Elephant headed gods are equally as likely and valid as a bearded invisible man.
    • Atheism is disbelief in a real god and anger at a god.
    • Atheism is no different from belief.

I find myself heartened by the full scale retreat of superstitious thinking. The churches will continue to empty , the bible and all other sacred scriptures will be increasingly rejected, without structure and organisation faith based beliefs will become little more than a game of Chinese whispers with believers unable to agree upon any form, the body of Christ will be the individual in Christ. This intellectual rout is turning into simplistic faith statements such as 'Christ is love'. Faith based belief is increasingly becoming a loose choir singing Beatles tracks (NC;) ) If your belief is so neutered that it simply traduced to you wanting to love more then great. Go do that.

The super thing about love is you don't even need an invisible being for it. It's a free gift from evolution. Ditch the crazy unloving blood sacrifices, eternal punishments, miracle silliness and pretence to secret knowledge. It's emotionally freeing.

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Still Thinking, if you ask a Christian, for example, by which standard they determine reason, they will quickly tell you that it's the Bible, or the 10 commandments, or Jesus' teachings, etc. I am simply asking what the atheist equivalent would be, since, I assume, atheists believe they exercise reason.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    NewChapter, let's go with Plato's universal application of reason (logos) and not the all-too-used Enlightenment understanding of the concept...for the sake of argument.
    Under the Platonic idea, what is the standard by which atheists determine reason?

In rhetoric, logos is one of the three modes of persuasion (the other two are pathos, emotional appeal; and ethos, the qualification of the speaker). Logos refers to logical appeal, and in fact the term logic evolves from it. Logos normally implies numbers, polls, and other mathematical or scientific data.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Logos#Ancient_Greek_philosophy

i think you might be in trouble mate...

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Still, if you ask a Christian, for example, by which standard they determine reason, they will quickly tell you that it's the Bible, or the 10 commandments, or Jesus' teachings, etc. I am simply asking what the atheist equivalent would be.

aren't a lot of those christians not exactly following that book?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

aren't a lot of those christians not exactly following that book?

And do the 10 commandments they follow include the Sabbath day---and is that logical?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

are they abstaining from blood? hahahahaha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit