Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

NC, do you believe it's childish for someone to believe in a personal God?

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

NC, do you believe it's childish for someone to believe in a personal God?

No.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    No.

I wasn't expecting that. Good for you!

-Sab

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Sab, what's your new avatar?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Looks like a dragon in the clouds.

• sabastious
    sabastious

It's the dragon, haku, from Spirited Away. He's my favorite of all dragons.

From http://ryuu-haku.deviantart.com/art/Colored-Dragon-Haku-130813017 (NOT ME! This is just an awesome picture of him)

-Sab

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Is it mammal or reptile?

It has a mane. I somehow never thought of dragons...or reptiles...with hair.

Hmmm...we need a biology professor, maybe?

Nice dragon, though! Dragon mythology is fascinating.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I scorn atheists that are angry at a nonexistent god!....New Chapter

ROFL

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Atheists would do well to understand WHY Christian's will defend their faith when an atheist challenges them. It's PART of their faith!

I think many already understand that . . . as another pointed out, most have been believers. Although, I don't think that's the full answer.

Understanding a persons motivation can be helpful . . . also their prejudices, fears, background etc . . . but ultimately that's all mental clutter that can serve to muddy the waters of the actual issue . . . when defending any position, the critical factor is the content of your argument . . . not your motivations for holding to it.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Sizemik, I understand that content is important, but that was not my point. The point is that someone who believes they are comissioned by God to defend their faith is not going to stand down. They are not going to let another tell them that they are not qualified to make an argument or to assert a notion they believe to be true. It's good to have perspective on who you are speaking to. If you accept the fact that they are going to defend no matter what, that will help increase the quality of the conversation or debate. If one doesn't accept that when they don't stand down one might become angry and lash out with ad hominems, when really that person is just acting in accordance with their faith.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit