I know very few JW window washers and cleaners

by MC RubberMallet 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Just before I graduated HS and decided to wreck my life by not going to college and pioneer, a window washer pioneer sister who was going to bethel sold me her window washing supplies (squeeges, fluffy bar on a stick thing) but I never bothered getting in to the business. It just seemed stupid. I started painting houses with a couple of brothers who had a family business. Didn't make much money, but really did have a good time!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Interesting thread!

Elders I've know:

• Draftsman
    • Pool Service Technician (aka Pool Man)
    • Retail Sales Manager
    • Singer
    • Secretary
    • Carpenter
    • Janitor - Yes. His whole family was in the business
    • Electrician
    • Ditch digger
    • Data Entry Tech
    • General Contractor
    • Plumber
    • High School Teacher
    • Composer
    • Copier Salesman
    • Prison Guard
    • Computer Sales
    • Light Bulb Installer - No kidding, for city street lights. Someone's gotta' do it!
    • Piano Tuner
    • Fireman
    • Security Guard
    • Drywall Installer
    • Engineer

Of all the elders I've ever known, I can only think of one that had a college degree. I'm sure there were some, but I never knew it. Let's just say they hid their education well. The one engineer I knew did NOT have a degree. He was an incredibly smart guy, but raised a JW he never went to college.

He was sort of grandfathered in on some of the jobs he worked. As I recall he was often frustrated because his job opportunities in his chosen profession were often limited by his lack of formal credentials.

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

Our neighbour years ago was a window cleaner. My mum window cleaner and carpenter is JW. When I went to a party with "her" most of the males were window cleaners.

• rmnnoute
    rmnnoute

What does it matter? There is dignity in all honest work.

And there was never a memo forbidding college education.

Small-minded stereotypes are nothing more than that.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

What does it matter? There is dignity in all honest work.

Small-minded stereotypes are nothing more than that.

LOL, seriously, thats the best ya got? It matters because old men living extremely comfortable lives in NYC have told lies for the last hundred years. DISCOURAGING young people like myself who certainly had the APTITUDE and ABILITY to make it in college and out in the real world. And why? Because they KNOW that college teaches people HOW TO THINK, and not what to think. Can't have that when you are running a mind control cult.

Instead, many of us ended up in jobs that basically suck, and had to start over in our late 20s, 30s, or 40s.

Its called OPPORTUNITY COST, look it up.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

No, no memo.

Higher education is just demonized at every assembly, convention, CO visit, WT study edition, schools for elders. . . . Can't fool me. Been there, done that.
  • Scott77
    Scott77

I know too some JWs who are doing that too.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The pay and job aside, i dont remember any kids answering "window washer" to "what do you want to be when you are older?"

This is my gripe. Bill I have no issue with anyone getting a good trade if thats what they WANT to do. JW kids think ambition is a bad trait. They eventually do not dream of astronaught or pilot, president or doctor.. Instead they will say "its good money on the windows!"

Having gone from manual labour, including window washing, to training as a doctor. I can assure you, that even if the wages were equal, i'd rather be a doctor than a glass wiper. Its not snobby, its just honest. I would want a lot more for my kids too!

snare x

• jam
    jam

Most of the brothers that went into that business years

ago (70,s) are still cleaning windows. Why, because they

tought the end was near, didn,t plan for the future.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w08 4/15 p. 4 par. 10 Repudiate “Valueless Things” ***

What, though, of higher education, received in a college or a university? This is widely viewed as vital to success. Yet, many who pursue such education end up with their minds filled with harmful propaganda. Such education wastes valuable youthful years that could best be used in Jehovah’s service. (Eccl. 12:1) Perhaps it is not surprising that in lands where many have received such an education, belief in God is at an all-time low.Rather than looking to the advanced educational systems of this world for security, a Christian trusts in Jehovah.—Prov. 3:5.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit