I know very few JW window washers and cleaners

by MC RubberMallet 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• jam
    jam

"Harmful Propaganda". I wonder what harmful propagand ? Maybe

it,s a CULT.. Other Christian organization encourage their young

people to seek higher education and their faith in God remains. So

the only reason to discourage University, you learn to think.

• Glander
    Glander

Menial work is honorable. I've done it and was glad to have it.

I have not read the last two pages of this thread.

A lot of good people were discouraged at a young age about material endeavors. This especially targeted higher education. Yet many of these folks showed a work ethic that is admirable.

But they shouldn't be marriage counselors, psychiatrists or life and death judges just because they've read the Watchtower.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

rmnnoute: And there was never a memo forbidding college education.

Are you kidding? There have been tons of WT's demonizing H.E. Blondie qouted just one. I bet it didn't take more than a few seconds to find that reference.

There have also been letters to the elders on the same subject.

To be sure, an honest work ethic is commendable and there is nothing wrong with menial labor. Clearly H.E. is not for everyone. The problem with the WTBTS is that they universally condemn H.E. for everyone. This is not a decision they should be making for others. They overstep their rights by telling other people how to live.

00DAD

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The intention is logically to make a point that most have labor-based jobs. This is not always a reality especially with the new generation of Jdubs, but as you go back in history it was mostly like that. I know plenty of Jdubs that have cleaning jobs, even in my family.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Lol. So I see there is some truth to every joke, like JW's being window washers, eh?

Where I grew up, most of our elders worked in NYC. They had corporate jobs, even in downtown Jersey City and Newark. One brother owned his carpet cleaning company. In the hall I was in @ Bethel, brothers owned businesses or commuted to NYC/Westchester, etc. I see my title mentions JW's, but I meant to say elders. I know for pioneering sisters, cleaning seemed like it was outsourced to them.

But they shouldn't be marriage counselors, psychiatrists or life and death judges just because they've read the Watchtower.

• Heath N
    Heath N

The main thing of being self-employed or independent contractor is need of having insurance and

medical coverage, which is extremely expensive when your are not part of a group plan. Also, the

requirement of paying taxes to pay into Social Security, which is 14+%, instead of 6+% when the

employer pays their share.

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

this is my hall

retired, retired, retired, unemployed, retired, retired, professional yard mower, retired, unemployed, baker, office manager, engineer, retired.

We have nothing but old people in our hall. They all have children, but most of them arent witnesses. I have noticed in my area that most witnesses are low income. The wealthier ones have their own business, they are usually all in the construction business. They build eachothers houses, and sit in them, then judge everyone else for not making as much as they do. If your poor, consider yourself marked and never expect an invite to anything.

Honeyphukit

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Any sort of decison that helps one make a better living is villanized. When I deced to go into business on my own, I was hit from all sides. That was in 1993, and I was told it was foolish because we're not going to see the end of the century in this system of things. Of course when I was employing a few dozen dubs, no one complaine then.

I met 00DAD back in the 90's. Right about the time he decided to stop beating up his body doing physical work and just getting by. I was pulled in and asked my opinon about his decsion to go back into music/teaching. Music was evil back then as the Purple Publisher wasn't baptized yet.

Yea I was called Me big Business. It wasn't a compliment. Especially when we studied the Revelation book.

• nochoice
    nochoice

I can tell you that in my KH, the sterotype holds very true. Many of the friends are in cleaning jobs of one kind or another - whether it's sisters cleaning homes and offices, brothers cleaning commercial facilities, or simple window cleaning or car detailing.

In fact, when some heard that a few new publishers were moving into our hall from out of state, one of our publishers said they he hoped they weren't coming to our area to look for work because the brothers were already competing with eachother for cleaning jobs! So, the assumption and the stereotype held by the friends themselves is that a new publisher coming in would most likely be in the cleaning trade!

One more for you that I don't think was mentioned - hair stylist. So many sisters cut hair for a living while thier husbands clean windows!

• jam
    jam

I hope it become a trend, one daughter graduated from

nursing school last year. My other daughter, started a nursery school

employing other JW,s. I guess it,s a step up. I don,t really believe

the young ones think the end is near.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit