I know very few JW window washers and cleaners

by MC RubberMallet 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• dozy
    dozy

I agree it isn't good to generalise , but in the UK a lot of JWs are window cleaners. I would guess in my old congregation probably 30% - 40% of the working males cleaned windows and many of their wives as well. We were quite typical , I would guess. Stair cleaning is also popular , especially in the cities where there are lots of flats.

To this day when I pass a car with roof racks & a ladder , I always kind of assume it is a JW ( and often is. )

Having said that , I only know of a few who were janitors , so I guess it varies from country to country.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I knew many that were, both in Tasmania, and in Sydney. Some left professions such as accounting to become window washers, so they could work part time. It does not mean that they were poor, as several brothers built large businesses and became very rich from it.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Nearly all the JW's I know are window cleaners and cleaners. The Co-ordinatings elder is a window cleaner. Others include a teacher who became a cleaner and a bank manager who became a window cleaner.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Touche, my peoples. Although I don't know many, I guess they are more prevalent than what I can see....

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Funny,

in my congregation there are 5 brothers with businesses providing carpet and window services. I have had to hire custodians on occasion in my line of work. 80% of janitorial and window companies are run by witnesses in my geographical area. People even crack jokes about it " jw's might be a effing cult but at least they are a clean people"

siam

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

It's true, MC Rubber Mallet. It is used to make a point because most elders are uneducated in terms of helping others in a professional way.

But you're right. In the congregation that I used to go to, there were MANY well educated and wealthy men. Most of the elders drove BMWs. Even an Aston Martin or 2 were regularly in the parking lot.

I guess they didn't get the memo that college wasn't allowed...

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I know 3 brothers who are window cleaners and another 2 who own cleaning companies. I also know far more sisters cleaning toilets, than there are brothers cleaning windows. Unfortunately, in the USA, it is more difficult for women to earn a decent living with only a high school education, than it is for a man...wage disparity...

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

What a shameful coincidence...

electrician

joiner

plumber

carpet fitter

bricklayer

painter

decorator

All the jobs recommended by the literature over the years...... Coincidentally also happen to be quite handy to a corp that does a lot of building, refurbishing, developmemt of property...

how many JW kids went into this kind of trade on the advice (financial intentions) of Watchtower?

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I say percentage wise it's probably lower than the exaggerations out there, but I know several in my last cong that washed windows and did cleaning jobs for a living, they are usually the extreme pioneers of the group. I also knew of a pioneer in a neigboring congregation, after he became a dub, he immediately left a prestigious position on the NASA space program back in the 50s or 60s, started pioneering, and worked as a janitor for the rest of his life. He died several years ago.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I feel sad when I see that "window cleaners" are sneered at. I know some nice window cleaners who aren't JWs. But of course I see that the point is the lack of education and job skills, which is true.

In my cong there were lots of people in the construction industry, lots of builders, painters, that kind of thing. Several of us cleaned houses and offices - me included.

I liked being my own boss, charging what I wanted to charge and lots of freedom during the day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit