Christ's 'silence' on slavery.

by tec 149 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Tammy, a great teacher or leader does not just talk about principles, he/she applies those principles to to the realities of society.

Jesus lived in a society where humans were traded like chattel and treated appallingly. Its simply not good enough to talk about love to people who can't see how to apply that principle to real life.

If Jesus had explained that all humans were equal before god and that to own another human was demeaning to human dignity that would have been the mark of a great mind.

As a moral teacher Jesus was not nearly as great his followers would have you believe.

He was a man of his age - a 21st century teenager could teach him a thing or two about ethics.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

He should have written his own book.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL. Look at Penn State. Besides the perpetrator, what were people shocked about? That people with knowledge and power to put a stop to it stayed silent. I'm sure they worried about other things, and did some good elsewhere. But that wouldn't exactly hold up as a defense in court. Their silence is what we condemn them for, and rightfully so!

But Christ gets a pass, because he was more concerned about the root of the problem. It's a common political reasoning of our day. We shouldn't make a law to prevent discrimination, we should concentrate on changing attitudes. Isn't the real solution a combination of the two approaches? But the fact is that the bible was used for hundreds of years to find support for slavery! Christ could have prevented that with just a sentence or two----but he gave us nothing. He gave us nothing because culture at that time did not condemn slavery, and neither did Jesus.

He had a lot to say about many other issues that were downright petty in comparison. Talk about straining gnats.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Tammy, salaam alaykum in aramaic, the language of Jesus, Peace be with with you. Let us be slaves or servants of God, that brings true Peace. Share the message of peace and truth. John 14:27. John 16:7, 12-14. Thank You and...... Peace.

• tec
    tec

Tammy, a great teacher or leader does not just talk about principles, he/she applies those principles to to the realities of society.

He did. Led by example. But He does not make anyone follow Him OR His teachings. It is our choice. Always our choice.

Jesus lived in a society where humans were traded like chattel and treated appallingly. Its simply not good enough to talk about love to people who can't see how to apply that principle to real life.

They could have looked at Him. Truly looked. But we carry so much baggage that needs to be shed first, before we can see through the lies and errors, to the truth hidden beneath. This is baggage that we create for ourselves. Shedding it takes time, as one learns and grows (as a person and society)... unless you do want a bloody revolution. But neither Christ nor God order such things... correcting our wrongs with wrongs of their own.

And again, slavery was a social structure that we chose. Our free will... and we used it to enslave others. But Christ did not enslave anyone. He served. He came to teach TRUTH... about God. Once we had that... then all the rest would follow. That is what knowing the truth, and being 'clean' within, means.

If Jesus had explained that all humans were equal before god and that to own another human was demeaning to human dignity that would have been the mark of a great mind.

He treated all people as equal. (who is my mother, brother, sister... those who do the will of my Father in heaven is my mother/brother/sister) And Paul does state explicitely that there is not male/female/slave/free with God. All are equal to Him. Paul learned from Christ.

As a moral teacher Jesus was not nearly as great his followers would have you believe.

I am his follower.

He was a man of his age - a 21st century teenager could teach him a thing or two about ethics.

Our ethics and knowledge is not so hot, Cofty. We would not have so many slipping through the cracks, nor so many suicides in these countries of great advancement and wealth, if that were so.

We could all do to listen to the teachings of Christ a little more.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Peace be with you as well, insearchoftruth4! thank you.

tammy

• jam
    jam

Jesus speaking about the Faithful and unfaithful servants.

Speaking about things people can relate to.

Luke 12;47 And that sevant who knew his master,s

will, but did not make ready or act according to his will,

shall receive a sever beating (48) But he who did not

know and did what deserved a beating, shall recive a

light beating.

It sounds to me that Jesus not only condone slavery but

also show justification for beating your slave.

I realize he is talking about the Faithful and unfaithful servants

when he return, an illustration.

• tec
    tec

I realize he is talking about the Faithful and unfaithful servants
    when he return, an illustration.

Yes, thank you.

Peace,

tammy

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

For Jesus to argument against slavery in his day would have been the equivelent of him arguing against the right for employers to hire employees. It was a part of the culture and the system. Democracy, self-determination were not much talked about or acted upon concepts untill people invented things like books, schools, light bulbs, and the steel plow, giving them more time to ponder upon their lot in life. One would have lasted about 10 seconds if they started spouting of PC non-sense about "human rights" even if anyone would have bothered to stop trying to earn enough food to eat to listen.

It's ridiculous to hold that against Jesus.

• tec
    tec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit