Latest "Shun Your Family" Statement - Jan 2013 Study WT

by LostGeneration 98 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It's been a tough week with wifey but this topic got her attention. I read her the article, and then I mentioned what 00DAD said about necessary business. She said that she heard elders in the Spanish hall clearly mention that family is family. I told wifey that all those elders can be removed if they keep counceling brothers that way. It all seemed to bug her. I could tell she wasn't buying the DF stance and shunning.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

16 ... “I was devastated,” says one sister whose daughter was disfellowshipped. “I wondered, ‘Why did she leave Jehovah?’ I felt guilty, and I blamed myself.”

The kids have to make sure that the parents are in no doubt as to why they leave the CHURCH.

18 Do not blame yourself for what happened. Jehovah has put a choice before humans, and each dedicated and baptized family member must “carry his own load” of responsibility.

The kids have to let the parents know that it was the parent's choice to join a CHURCH with a history of failed prophesies (expectations, or whatever weasel words they want to use) and to raise them in it, so when the kids take the scriptural advice not to follow false prophets, any breakdown in the family relationship is the result of the parents choice. The parents don't have to shun their kids for taking scriptural advice straight out of the parent's own Bibles. It's a choice the parents make at the request of CHURCH leaders that have failed to produce a god to stop them looking like fools.

Never let parents think you accept the blame for their bad choices and bad behaviour.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

It is amazing how they shift the blame of pain, devastation, loss, grief, guilt, and seperation. It's not our fault we are doing this to you!! Sick twisted reasoning! F'ed up to the max !

FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS 16 The bond between parent and child is so strong that Jehovah used that relationship to illustrate his own love for his people. (Isa. 49:15) It is normal, therefore, to be deeply grieved when a beloved family member leaves Jehovah. “I was devastated,” says one sister whose daughter was disfellowshipped. “I wondered, ‘Why did she leave Jehovah?’ I felt guilty, and I blamed myself.” 17 Jehovah understands your pain. He himself “felt hurt at his heart” when the first member of his human family, and later most people living before the Flood, rebelled. (Gen. 6:5, 6) It may be difficult for those who have never experienced such a loss to appreciate how devastating it can be. Nevertheless, it would be unwise to let the improper course of a disfellowshipped family member distance you from Jehovah. How, then, can you cope with the profound grief that arises when a family member leaves Jehovah? For suggestions, see pages 17-19 of the November 2011 issue of Awake! 16, 17. What grievous situation has afflicted many parents, and how do we know that Jehovah understands their pain? 18 Do not blame yourself for what happened. Jehovah has put a choice before humans, and each dedicated and baptized family member must “carry his own load” of responsibility. (Gal. 6:5) Ultimately, Jehovah holds the sinner—not you—responsible for his or her choice. (Ezek. 18:20) Also, do not blame others. Respect Jehovah’s arrangement for discipline. Take your stand against the Devil—not against shepherds who act to protect the congregation.—1 Pet. 5:8, 9. 19 On the other hand, if you choose the path of resentment toward Jehovah, you will distance yourself from him. Really, what your beloved family member needs to see is your resolute stance to put Jehovah above everything else —including the family bond. So to cope with the situation, be sure to maintain your own spirituality. Do not isolate yourself from your faithful Christian brothers and sisters. (Prov. 18:1) Pour out your feelings to Jehovah in prayer. (Ps. 62:7, 8) Do not look for excuses to associate with a disfellowshipped family member, for example, through e-mail. (1 Cor. 5:11) Stay absorbed in spiritual activities. (1 Cor. 15:58) The sister quoted above says, “I know that I must stay busy in Jehovah’s service and keep myself in a spiritually strong condition so that when my daughter does come back to Jehovah, I will be in a position to help her.” 20 The Bible says that love “hopes all things.” (1 Cor. 13: 4, 7) It is not wrong for you to entertain the hope that your loved one will return. Each year, many wrongdoers repent and come back to Jehovah’s organization. Jehovah does not begrudge their repentance. On the contrary, he is “ready to forgive.”—Ps. 86:5. 18. Why should parents not blame themselves if a child leaves Jehovah? 19, 20. (a) What can parents of disfellowshipped children do to cope with their grief? (b) What hope do such parents rightly entertain?
  • rory-ks
    rory-ks

How is this supposed to play off against the information displayed on jw.org?

Under "Do You Shun Former members Of Your Religion?" it states,

What of a man who is disfellowshipped but whose wife and children are still Jehovah’s Witnesses? The religious ties he had with his family change, but blood ties remain. The marriage relationship and normal family affections and dealings continue.

Of course, we know that jw.org is "trumped" by The Watchtower...but even so...

• trujw
    trujw

Rory good point. I guess lying is ok for them but my mom still does not talk to me cause well I am not a member of a book publishing corporation. I am sure that is in the bible. I live a wholesome life with my wife and son don't smoke. I read the bible, work hard provide for my family treat people with respect and oh by the way I am not a volunteer (which is actualy what there are) for a book publishing corporation so I am evil.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cofty, Thanks for the sympathy, you have mine as well.

ReallyTrulyAthena, You really articulated how I feel. Mostly I'm a "truly happy self" as well, but when the WT prints things like this is just renews my frustration at the whole messed up situation. It's really seems that those guys that write this crap sit around thinking of ways to make life difficult for everyone. They must be truly unhappy people to their core.

Perfect1, you have a PM

rory-ks, they speak with forked tongue

wha happened?, sorry your wife is having a rough week. We should talk. ... whadder you doing up at 3 am-ish anyways?

• flipper
    flipper

LOST GENERATION - Good thread. Thanks for posting. This is disgusting information. The mind control is so obvious it comes spilling out into the paragraphs. All a person has to do is replace the word " Jehovah " with " WT Society " and you'll see my point.

For instance , " Really, what your beloved family member needs to see is your resolute stance to put the WT society above everything else - including the family bond . " Also, " The sister quoted above says, " I know that I must stay busy in the WT society's service and keep myself in a spiritually strong condition so that when my daughter does come back to the WT society , I will be in a position to help her. " Jehovah = WT Society. It's the same thing to all these JW's. Ridiculous

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    How is this supposed to play off against the information displayed on jw.org?
    Under "Do You Shun Former members Of Your Religion?" it states,
    What of a man who is disfellowshipped but whose wife and children are still Jehovah’s Witnesses? The religious ties he had with his family change, but blood ties remain. The marriage relationship and normal family affections and dealings continue.

It doesn't play off against it. The article on jw.org indulges in 'Theocratic Warfare' by only addressing aspects of shunning that the enquirer might see as reasonable, leaving out what it doesn't want them to know until they are trapped.

Dishonest? Yes.

Deceptive? Yes.

An outright lie? No.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
  • Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I knew something was up....

Been through some rougher times with family...

I thought that perhaps there was something out from the assembly this summer. To Make sure you are

not involved with family members who no longer associate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit