holding off on my baptism???

by madcow78596 50 Replies latest jw friends

• perfect1
    perfect1

You have a child. Imagine in five years. You could be helping your child prepare for college. He could go study to prepare to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, teacher, you name it. You have the opportunity to set him on a path in which he will have career, financial security, and options.

If you get baptized now, no such opportunities will come. You will be prohibited from preparing him for higher education. He will find a low wage job which limits his options. He could get into trouble because he gets desperate to earn a little extra just to survive. If he never takes to Bible Study you will be advised to SHUN your own son, leaving you weaker and more dependent on THEM for emotional, financial, intellectual support.

Meanwhile, you get older, but you are discouraged from planning for you future, retirement, savings, etc. Maybe someone in the hall offer you a cleaning job at their janitorial firm. THEY EMPLOY YOU. THEY TEACH YOU NOT TO THINK. THEY BULLY YOU. THEY DESTROY YOUR FAMILY. SO THEY CAN OWN YOU.

I am glad you managed to get your life ontrack. Now take the stability you have and run with it. Run far far away! As long as you do not officially join this cult you are still free and you dont matter to them! F**k them if they dont like your hot body. Those dresses probably look way hotter on you than the dour elders wife who gave them to you. She is probably jealous and asked her husband to counsel you against wearing them! You are probably making all those elders sweat in their polyester suits because they are so sexually repressed! They cant handle their supposedly sinful thoughts, and you are probably one of those women who would look hot in a BURKHA! They wont find you sexually less threatening until you are a shriveled mummy.

PM me if you want. Please, please please GET OUT NOW.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Thank goodness you showed up here first! It would be terrible for you to be back here in five years regretting this decision you've made.

You're a mother of two? Think about how they will be affected. Do you really want your children to not be set up for success? You have young children. Your 11 year old has expressed that he doesn't want to be involved. Do you want them to miss out on everything that makes childhood great, instead slaving away for a corporation?

You're already expressing doubts about the strict rules. The WT corporation is nothing more than modern day Pharisees. If you think nitpicking your dress is bad, it is just going to get worse and worse.

If you are worried about losing friends you have gained, consider this first. What will these so-called "friends" do if you decide the Witnesses are not for you? Will they still be your friend or will they ignore you and leave you be?

Like I said, it is a good thing you showed up here. Do your research. If you feel it is still the right decision, we can't stop you. I just ask that you do the utmost research. And that means NOT going to overly biased JW sources.

Almost forgot to mention, welcome aboard!

• madcow78596
    madcow78596

thanks everyone for the welcome and suggestions. right now it is not my intention to turn away from the organization, although the thought does weigh heavily on my mind. my former congregation actually encouraged higher education and most of the brothers there have higher degrees and successful careers so their wives can full time pioneer and raise children. not to say i condone or personally agree with all their choices or examples. i have always and will always continue to encourage my child to get a higher education. in this unfortunate system we live in, its almost a necessity. i would never want him to struggle the way i have. true that jehovah will bless those faithful to him. that doesnt mean you have to devote every waking moment to the preaching work the way some would make it seem. my children are always free to make their own decisions. i encourage them to research and study until they find what is right for them just as i did. jws are not for everyone. but under my household they will at least respect my beliefs, but it is never forced upon them or required of them. if my children not studying keeps me from getting baptized then so be it. i do not agree with forcing it upon my kids and i am almost certain the governing body will agree with me on that issue.

perfect1, lol thanks for the ego boost....i'm not the hottest momma out there but i try!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Take the hint and GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

If you feel that certain aspects of your life have improved from studying with witnesses, take those lessons learned and leave.

It's a cult!

• perfect1
    perfect1

Your view towards your children is much too liberal by JW standards, and that is the point they are trying to make by not letting you get baptized.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

DO you realize you will be dedicating yourself to a Publishing corporation even though the "Teach book" says just the opposite

*** Bible Teach chap. 18 p. 183 par. 24 Baptism and Your Relationship With God ***
    Remember, too, that you have made a dedication to Jehovah God himself, not to a work, a cause, other humans, or an organization . Your dedication and baptism are the beginning of a very close friendship with God-an intimate relationship with him

But yet here is what really happens this is the actual vow you will be required to affirm at baptism

"Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

Until 1985 the Watchtower Society theoretically viewed baptism as signifying a dedication to God and God alone, but legal challenges revolving around this correct view, where litigants sued the Society for requiring loyalty to it rather than to God and enforced such requirement by disfellowshipping, caused the Society to begin fooling proselytes into taking a legally enforceable vow that is nothing more than a loyalty oath and a promise to do anything the Society commands.

also see Changing Baptism Arrangement

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/baptism.php

They only gave you two reasons to not get baptized?

I, and many others here, can give you thousands of reasons to avoid baptism. Consider the elder's advice to be a good thing.

As for your son, I was born in to being a Witness, and many decades later, I still resent that my parents forced me to attend meetings, go out in service, etc.. Think carefully; your son will be an adult in 7 years, which will go by very fast. If he determines that you forced him to participate in the cult that is the Jehovah's Witnesses, he will resent it as well, and might decide to "disfellowship" you as his mother, as my siblings did to my parents

Put your son's interests first, and get the hell out of the kingdom hall! As a single mom, there are far more important things for you to take care of for your son, and getting involved with this cult will most certainly rob you of the time you need to be spending with your son or working on his behalf.

Be careful, you are on the edge of the cliff. Baptism is the free fall . . .

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i want to echo the same sentiments.

many of us were raised in this cult, and that's really what it is. a cult.

the struggles your child will face as he gets older are going to be ugly, if he decides to become a jw. hopefully he will not have to go through all of that.

if for nothing else, think about the impact it will have on your son.

the central premise of the jehovah's witnesses is that christ became king in 1914.

1914 is said to be calculated by biblical prophecy in the book of daniel.

after applying 2520 years to the end date of the destruction of jerusalem in 607 bce, they get to 1914, but jerusalem wasn't destroyed in 607 bce, it was destroyed much later in 587bce.

so the watchtower has been lying about this all along and changed the bible to fit their beliefs, in the same way that other christians changed the birth of jesus to fit their beliefs.

why trust an organization that is lying when it claims to have the truth?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Listen to the advice Madcow, think of your kids, this organization is poisonous and evil.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

A belated welcome to the board Madcow. Something I think you should ponder though, you've said that you think you've found the truth and are willing to wait to join the club when you've finally been approved to do so though it does seem to bother you. So you bring your gripe to a board known to be filled with exjws and apostates because apparently you don't have anyone on the inside to gripe to and I hazzard to guess that you know that would be a big no-no. Doesn't that sound kinda funny to you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit