holding off on my baptism???

by madcow78596 50 Replies latest jw friends

• madcow78596
    madcow78596

So I've been studying with JWs since April 2011. 1 year later I decide to become an unbaptized publisher and take steps toward dedicating myself to Jehovah. I'm a single working mother of 2 with what i will call a very "colored" past. But over the course of this last year and a half I have dramatically turned my life around and am very pleased to be doing Jehovah's will. Because of my circumstances I don't always have the time others do to go out in service, but I have been doing a consistent 5-6 hours a month along with informal witnessing here and there. I also don't have the luxury of buying too many new clothes, but I do what I can. Now, fast forward to July 2012 and our convention is coming up and I express that I would like to get baptized at the next opportunity. Well the convention came and went and I personally did not feel ready to go through with the review....so I decide to wait till our assembly in October. I dilligently study the questions from July to October and restudy, and restudy till I feel ready.....I go through my review....the brothers agree I have all the knowledge down, BUT they recommend I should wait. Here's the kicker.....the 2 reasons they feel I should NOT be baptized after associating for over a year, being in service for 6 months, being enrolled in the school, consistently attending meetings, weekly study, etc.....are that 1) my 11 year old son refuses to study God's word. Now he goes in service, attends meetings with me, etc....but he has clearly expressed he is not interested at this time despite efforts from myself and other brothers. So, I cannot FORCE these ways upon him and risk the possibility of him resenting the truth....I simply lead by example, require that he attend meetings while living in my household, and keep making efforts to study with him and keep him in Jehovah's discipline......and reason 2) my dress is not "modest" enough. Now keep in mind, I wasn't always the nicest person my past 28 years of life, but never once have I purposely dressed provocatively. Now I am a curvy girl and have been granted with gifts others haven't that sometimes are hard to keep covered....but I wear cardigans and make sure my dresses are never shorter than just below my knees. Dress is always questionable, I will agree. It's more a matter of personal opinion. I am not protesting that I should be allowed to wear whatever I want to wear, I am a representative of Jehovah's organization and I want to present myself as such. So, maybe there is room for improvement on that.......the thing is.....the elder that brought up this reasoning to me....I study with his wife....and both his wife and daughter have donated many dresses to me because we are similar in size and shape....so if these dresses were appropriate for his family to wear, why are they suddenly inappropriate for ME???

Also.....neither of these points were EVER brought up to me during my entire course of study. I was never counseled on them. Don't the guidelines say I should be counseled first, then held accountable for my improvement or refusal to comply???

Now, nowhere in the bible or watchtower literature have I read that ALL members of a baptism candidate's household MUST be studying as well for that person to qualify for baptism. That is my first point. My second is that if I have worn the same dresses (that I received from an elder's family) for the past year to meetings, conventions and out in service and they were never addressed as a problem before, why are they a problem now??? I am concerned the brothers (well....BROTHER actually.....the others stayed silent while I received this speech from my bible teacher's husband) made a choice based on personal opinion....not scriptures or printed organizational guidelines. Now, I've suffered a great deal of discouragement, it makes me think the organization are a bunch of hypocrites when I believed all this time in my heart that what I was learning was truth, and that these brothers were there to guide and help me grow, and I'm set back another 5-6 months for the next available opportunity to get baptized IF THEY FEEL I AM READY. I called our CO who agreed the decision was questionable and he will be counseling them this week. I also wrote the Governing Body for their formal opinion on the matter. Close friends in the truth have also recommended I change congregations so as not to suffer retaliation or continue to be judged personally.

My question is.....has this happened to anyone else? Do you believe these reasons are scripturally valid and that I am overreacting? And how do I get past this feeling of defeat and keep walking in Jehovah's ways? I need help!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Welcome to the board! Stick around, you will learn a lot!

Now, I've suffered a great deal of discouragement, it makes me think the organization are a bunch of hypocrites when I believed all this time in my heart that what I was learning was truth,

Thousands of us share your view, that the organization is extremely hypocritical. Unfortunately "truth" isn't quite as simple as the organization makes it out to be. Keep on searching, and questioning the things you are being taught.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i've never heard of that before, but you will find that elders are a different breed from hall to hall. perhaps, you got one of the bad sets of elders. it happens.

now, my suggestion for you is to seriously consider the history and teachings of the jehovah's witnesses before committing yourself to the religion and committing your children to it as well.

the scriptures mention the ancient boreans (i'm sure i butchered that spelling :P) and how they worked so very hard to make sure that what they were told is true. before baptism, it is essential you do the same.

hopefully others will chime in with better advice, but i'd suggest looking into the history and the older teachngs, at the very least, you'll get a comprehensive view of the society and if you were questioned about it, you'd know what was being asked about.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Getting baptized by the JWs is a terrible idea. It ruined many of our lives. You don't have to make the same mistake. Find a church with better food and music.

Welcome.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I would also encourage you to read the following article on Jehovah's Witness baptism, you deserve full disclosure before committing yourself:

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/baptism.php

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

ease off, gently move away from study/meeting attendance/FS and stop trying to force this garbage down your sons throat, he will thank you one day. This is as far away from "The Truth" as you could possibly imagine, you wont regret it!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Welcome!

It's a good idea to hold off on your baptism ... FOREVER!

madcow: Now, I've suffered a great deal of discouragement, it makes me think the organization are a bunch of hypocrites

You are right, they are a bunch of hypocrites.

This is a cult. Once you are baptized you can never leave without facing the possibility of being forever shunned by everyone that is a JW. Do you really want that?

It will only get worse if you get baptized.

Any group that claims to be the sole possessors of "Truth" is lying. Truth is not a thing that one person or group can possess to the exclusion of all others. That is illogical. Think about it.

Run from this group. They do NOT teach the truth, nor have they ever.

Consider it a favor that they don't like the way you look in the elder's wife & daughter's clothes. They've given you a wonderful opportunity to see how controlling they are. If you get baptized pretty soon they will tell you:

• who can be your friends and who can not
    • what movies and tv shows you can watch and which you cannot
    • what books you can read and which you cannot
    • what music you can listen to and which you cannot
    • what jobs you can have and which you cannot
    • who you can date/marry and who you cannot
    • what education you and your children can have and what you cannot
    • what you can believe and what you cannot ... this is subject to change at the whim of those in charge and you can never, ever question it
    • what kinds of recreational activities you can pursue and which you cannot

The list is actually much longer, but hopefully you get the idea. If you don't, then it's already too late for you.

BTW, I was baptized in my early 20's, spent a quarter of a century as a JW, most of that as an elder drinking kool-aid in whatever was the flavor of the month. I still have children in that won't talk to me because I am no longer a fan in believing things that aren't true. I only mention this so you know I am speaking from personal experience.

Don't say we didn't warn you. I wish someone would have warned me, but no one did.

00DAD

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Welcome and RUN! This happened to me as well. I had studied for 3 years, they were all over me to get baptisied, then when I asked, I was told I was not ready! I was shocked. The study conductor told me to wait on Jehovah or something like that. So I waited 6 month or whenever the next assembly was coming up, and asked again. NO, NOT YET! I wish I had walked like I wanted to as I thought these people play head games, and I had seen others get baptised with less time studying. But I had a very aggressive, manipulative study conductor who convinced me to stay. Third time they allowed it. WORST DECISION I EVER MADE! IT IS NOT THE TRUTH!!! FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS. RUN!!! Do more research without WT literature. go to JWFacts.Go to freeminds. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS TO YOUR CHILDREN! Find another church. Read the Bible without WT "study aids". I think you will find out this is not God's organization. I wish you all the best!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

If these non reasons are being used to delay you baptism what comes to my mind is do they really want you to be a jw? In others words, do they really want you to join their club?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hi, I'm a never-JW who married a Witness. I've looked at the materials alongside my husband and have concluded that it is not the truth. I go to another church. So you can take my advice in that context.

Congratulations on achieving so many changes in your life. I raised my children as a single parent too, so I appreciate the time you have dedicated to make these personal changes. Bravo for being a wise parent to your eleven year old.

The Witnesses do hypocritically treat people differently based on biases and their idea of your background. I remember a magazine only a few months ago that said that Witnesses who marry non-JW's will always be suspect. I have seen second generation Witnesses offered promotions and priveleges faster than converts. My husband has been passed over and slighted more times than I can count (not invited to social events, given a second-class invitation to a wedding reception). Not that I'm complaining. I think the obligations and activities that are put on the Witnesses is pretty heavy.

I suggest you study the background of the WTS for its many flaws and decide yourself if it is worth the kow-towing that will be required to be "approved" for baptism.

If I could have a wish for you, it would be to take the "meat" that has been offered by the Witnesses (the personal changes that have improved your life) and spit out the "bones" (the endless activity). Find somewhere else to attend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit