“We will decide who is a predator!” – New Watchtower Instructions to Elders on Child Abuse

by Jaime l de Aragon 104 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Yet more legalistic ducking and diving. However, if I was trying to be absolutely objective about this I would suggest that some of the distinctions they are implying are there to give them a route to allowing someone in very particular circumstances to avoid being labelled a molester. For example, in the UK it is possible for an 18 yr old to have consensual sex with a 15 year old and be convicted as a sex offender on the basis the legal age of consent in the uk is 16. They would be placed on the sex offenders register. Situations like this already are a matter of debate in secular society. I think the WT are trying to leave room for "discretion" in cases like this. Of course the risk is that much more could go under the radar.

Not condoning it - just saying like...

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I am actually shocked by this new letter.

I am convinced that (as someone close to me, with ties way up the food chain at Bethel) they will NOT CHANGE for the authorities.

Now, look, they are stepping further into the abyss by implying that Joe New Elder will be able to tell if a participant was willing, even if underage!

And they INSIST on taking the matter on board to BETHEL.

As others have said, it is simple:

When someone accuses, tell them to GO TO THE POLICE, or better yet, how about the elders just call the police that day and make notes about the call? That should keep them out of hot water.

Police are trained. Elders are not.

And, if it goes to court later, they can say: WE TOLD THEM to go to the police, or better yet, WE CALLED THE POLICE ON THIS DATE.

This is the most arrogant religion on the planet.

They have just got their head handed to them on a platter, the highest payout for a single victim of child sexual abuse with worldwide publicity, and this is their response??

To further define what they think abuse is, and to take more of it back to Bethel?

They get what they have coming, and more of it will come, surely, after this policy has been in the system for a while

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Who is considered a known child molester? The January 1, 1997, Watchtower arti-cle "Let Us Abhor What Is Wicked" mentions on page 29 that a man "known to have been a child molester" does not qualify for privileges in the congregation. The expression "known to have been a child molester" has reference to how such a man is considered in the community and in the Christian congregation. In the eyes of the congregation, an adult "known" to be a former child molester is not "free from accusation" or "irreprehensible," nor does he have "a fine testimony from people on the outside." (1 Tim. 3:1-7, 10; 5:22; Titus 1:7) In view of his past, those in the community would not respect him and congregation members might be stumbled over his appointment. Keep in mind that the branch office, not the local body of elders, determines whether one who has sexually abused a child is considered a known child molester.

This paragraph sums up their view: the last sentence says WE will decide whether or not someone who BETHEL and the local elders know sexually abused a child is considered a known child molester.

IT IS ALL ABOUT WHO KNOWS ABOUT IT. Does the congregation know Br. McFeely did this? No? Then he is not necessarily a known child molester.

What?? Yes he is! The elders know it; the branch knows it.

But since they keep everything secret about child molesters, they have kept the congregation from knowing it! They prevented it from being known!

And now they can say, Br. McFeely is not a known child molester.

It seems like this letter is putting in print, all in one letter, the exact policy that just got them their biggest legal loss ever!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wow. I would love to print this sucker out for my wife.

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut

What I keep wondering is: do these guys live in a parallel universe? How far from reality can you get? Hopefully they'll get smacked right back down to earth real soon.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Someone needs to foward this letter to Alameda County. I'm sure it would be helpful in the appeals process.

• Jaime l de Aragon
    Jaime l de Aragon

Forward BOE all tabloids, give chewed, highlighting points interest, and say convicted criminals continue acting and laughing

pedophile

• Jaime l de Aragon
  • linuxbob
    linuxbob

This is why is check on my state police's Meagan's List web site.

I check the surronding zip codes around my wife's cong at least once a month.

lb

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Aussie Oz - "How can a person 'be a KNOWN child molester' in the eyes of the congregation if the congregation are not told that so and so that just moved in has a history (even once) of this crime?"

Gossip?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit