“We will decide who is a predator!” – New Watchtower Instructions to Elders on Child Abuse

by Jaime l de Aragon 104 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• iclone
    iclone

First of all, thank you @Altantis for making this letter available and to @Cedars for your excellent observation and summation of the letter . I was surprised but not shocked at the response the Governing Body delivered. Since my “awakening” a few years ago I have seen a pattern both past and present of self-sabotage such as the archaic blood doctrine and now their continued narrow minded stance on child abuse will certainly induce the ire and outrage of the general public including public officials and quite possibly the authorities. If and when this happens they will use it as their platform to cry “Persecution” and tell their loyal adherents that they are simply following the bibles commands and as prophesied; they are being persecuted for it. I cannot think of any other reasonable explanation for this reckless act that they knew full well would reach the general public.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Thank you! Awesome BOE letter. Dated and written Oct 1, 2012 and online Oct 5,2012. Better and faster than UPS, US Postal Service and any other delivery service.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What does the WBT$ BOE Letter really mean?

After losing the Candace Condi Case..

The WBT$ sends the Legal Authorities..

A Clear Message..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• DT
    DT

I doubt that the Society is going to be labeling many people as predators. If it turns out that they are ignoring the elders' guidelines for staying away from children, I think it is more likely that they will direct the elders to disfellowship them for "brazen conduct" without letting any parents know of the danger.

That may solve the immediate problem, but some of them will probably get reinstated and the congregation will still be unaware of the danger.

This new policy just makes it look like they are willing to inform parents, even if it never happens.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Haven't read all the posts, but is it not the authorities of the land that decide "who is a predator?" Am marking and printing all information. Don't have time to read now.

PHG

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

why do I get runtime error and cant read the letter on my system? Am I doing something wrong?

I've no idea. Must be a temporary glitch. Has it righted itself yet?

-----

From the letter:

"If the individual [the accused, reproved or reinstated child molester] does not follow the above direction from the elders [to completely avoid children], or if the elders believe he may be a 'predator,' the elders should immediately call the Service Department for assistance. A 'predator' is one who clearly lacks self-control and by his actions provides reason to believe he will continue to prey on children. Not every individual who has sexually abused a child in the past is considered a 'predator.' The branch office, not the local body of elders, determines whether an individual who has sexually abused children in the past will be considered a 'predator.' If the branch office determines that an individual will be considered a 'predator,' parents with minor children will need to be warned of the danger that exists so that they can protect their children. In such a case, and only after receiving direction and instructions from the Service Department, two elders should be assigned to meet with the parents of minor children in order to provide a warning. At the same time that parents are warned about an individual, it would be appropriate for the elders to inform the individual that parents in the congregation will be discreetly informed."

My thoughts were similar to Cedar's article on this. At first, I was pleased that finally they were going to be proactive and warn the parents. But then it hit me:

If these instructions were around in the early-mid 1990s, how would it have protected Candace Conti?

Answer: It simply would not have made one iota of difference.

There was only one prior recorded instance in WTS files of Kendrick molesting a girl. A one-off event. The branch would not have deemed him a "predator." No parents would have been discreetly informed. Candace would still have been abused.

I agree entirely with those who have pointed out that it should be the secular authorities who determine whether an abuser is a predator or not. WTH is Legal thinking?

The WTS have learned nothing. As Rick Simons said, "It's going to take more than one lesson."

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

And if the molestor moves to another congo, the elders must let Beth Hell know, and it is the branch office that decides whether the new body of elders is informed, or even if the envelope containing details of an accusation(proved or otherwise) should be passed on.

HB

• blondie
    blondie

Money talks..........

In the end, you cannot trust any orgaization to reveal the pedophiles within them. The Boys Scouts got hit with a big expensive case because of concealing pedos. The reputation of an organization has proved to be more important in the case of Penn State University, the Catholic Church, Amish, and Lutheran churches.

Most pedophiles stay hidden, have not been found out, not listed on any sexual offender list. Those that have, many do not check in when they move, if they move, or where they moved to, or to the authorities in their new place.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/19/maria-jepsen_n_651962.html

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I also think this recent letter reinstates the lack of respect toward outside governmental authorities regarding child abuse,

as well toward posible victims and the general public as a whole.

This whole notion that if JW attacks a child and he or she finally admits to it in front of some elder JWs, that they could be

actually protected by the elders if they simply show some level of repentance, is disturbing to say the least.

This could actually set up a very dangerous and perilous situation where a person only receives a public reproofing

disciplinary action taken against themselves and so think well that wasn't that bad and therefore leading them to attack again, perhaps

in a different location.

This is what happened to the Catholic organization where they found a member of their church abusing children and tried to

internally handle the situation themselves.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

So with the watchtower policy, a serial murder could say, "hey I killed a few people, ones i was friends with, but I left no witnesses hehe, I am sure I am done and am sorry, so how bout just a reproof and if i do good I can be a ms in a few years?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit