“We will decide who is a predator!” – New Watchtower Instructions to Elders on Child Abuse

by Jaime l de Aragon 104 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Well, NOLAW, it is considered just that in the US, so that is the standard.

But not for the WT apparently, who make that insinuation without setting clear guides about what it means.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    So if an accusation is made by the abuser that a minor was a "willing participant" . . . it's not child abuse?

You may have misread the point being made . . . so here it is with emphasis.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Bump with this.

The 5 leading law firms litigating the Watchtower child abuse cases all got a heads up from me from the get go.

Oh,Watchtower legal whores who am I?

• sir82
    sir82

Just re-reading that "willing participant" statement again.

Can they really be that incredibly dense? I mean, I know they are idiots, but are they really that god-awful stupidly idiots?

The whole point of "child abuse" and "statutory rape" laws is that minors are not capable of making the rational decision to be a "willing participant"! Hence the need to protect them from adults who owould take advantage of their immaturity.

They ought to have to pay a few million in fines just for the incredible insult to the collective intelligence of the whole human race their very existence produces.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Sizemik asked:

So if an accusation is made by the abuser that a minor was a "willing participant" . . . it's not child abuse?

That's how I was reading it, as they seemingly have erased statuatory rape from Caesar's laws.

And even there, the handling of the case would probably depend on the statement made by the other witness of the event (if available), OR they could drag the young person into the JC and asked if they screamed loud enough?

Hey, why fix what isn't broken, and if the approach is good enough to use with rape victims, why not with victims of child molesters? They'd better start teaching those 16-17 y.o.s to not just raise a hand, but to scream their heads off, or else face punishment!

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

there are so many issues related to this letter and cedars has done a great job addressing all of them particularly the implications for families

But Sir raised an issue that I have been wondering about and that is why the WTS would assume more legal liability with this letter.

I am hoping that elders have become concerned about this issue and that there is much unrest (and disorder) about legal action being taken against them as in the conti case and they have been ringing headquarters with their concerns. WT's response is to bring in another "law" we will decide who is a predator

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

Is this letter for real??!?!?!?!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thank you so much to the brave people who placed this letter into the public domain of the net. You have done so much to turn the spotlight onto that legalistic bunch of hypocrites.. I must quote from it again :

"15. Who is considered a known child molester? The January 1, 1997, Watchtower article “Let Us Abhor What Is Wicked” mentions on page 29 that a man “known to have been a child molester” does not qualify for privileges in the congregation."

Actually is doesn't - not exactly. it says

Wt 1997 1/1 p29

What if a baptized adult Christian sexually molests a child? ..........................................................................................

True, not every child molester repeats the sin, but many do. And the congregation cannot read hearts to tell who is and who is not liable to molest children again. (Jeremiah 17:9) Hence, Paul’s counsel to Timothy applies with special force in the case of baptized adults who have molested children: “Never lay your hands hastily upon any man; neither be a sharer in the sins of others.” (1 Timothy 5:22) For the protection of our children, a man known to have been a child molester does not qualify for a responsible position in the congregation. Moreover, he cannot be a pioneer or serve in any other special, full-time service........

It just says "child molester" laying stress on the sin and the seriousness of it, even if nobody else knows ( bar God, Jesus and the angels) This new letter is more concerned with how well known the matter is, and the congregation's repuutation, than the actual wrongdoing

2012 letter

"The expression “known to have been a child molester” has reference to how such a man is considered in the community and in the Christian congregation. In the eyes of the congregation, an adult “known” to be a former child molester is not “free from accusation” or “irreprehensible,” nor does he have “a fine testimony from people on the outside.” (1 Tim. 3:1-7, 10; 5:22; Titus 1:7) In view of his past, those in the community would not respect him and congregation members might be stumbled over his appointment. Keep in mind that the branch office, not the local body of elders, determines whether one who has sexually abused a child is considered a known child molester."

Why hould the branch office be in a position to judge ,better than the locals who have spent hours in J C Meeting with him?

It is evident that the sin is considered less of a sin if it is practiced in secret and nobody knows.....Is that what The Bible says?

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

You know it when the elders read this letter, they heaved a collective sign of relief because the WT took the decision-making out of their hands and they can sleep better at night knowing that the liability buck stops at WT headquarters and not with them.

While I will agree with the statment above and others on this thread, I think that one of the reasons that the WT is making this a policy to eliminate the possibility of any reporting to any authorities. Pretty much they are saying if any of you elders want to be preumptuous and report this to the police then you will be sanctioned because it is the branch that decides if someone is a molester/pedophile and not you. The legal and service departments at Bethel know that there are many "rogue elders" out there who could possibly ignore them and go directly to the police.

This is a direct threat to these elders that you will be dealt with if you do. Its part of their pyschological terror program and yes many elders will not go with their conscience and report abuse to police. Why go through that, why put your family through that. You could be deleted or worse disfellowshipped for brazen conduct.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Lots of useful information in this thread

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit