Are Mormons "racist" towards black people?

by booker-t 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• booker-t
    booker-t

I really do not know much about the Mormon religion so I don't want to say things that are not true. But Mormons just give me a feeling of that they are "phoney" I just feel that in my bones. I don't want to stereotype people but I live in the same apartment building with 5 young Mormon missionaries. I speak to them all the time but I get a "dry" hi from them everytime. I am a black man and all of them are white. I have read many stories of the racism in the Mormon church and I feel these Mormons think they are better than I. If this is a representation of a belief system in their church I don't know how any African American could vote for Mitt Romney. Can any poster familiar with Mormon doctrine help me on this. I want to be fair to Mormons and not prejudge them the way people prejudge blacks and hispanics and other ethnic minorities.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Read "The Church and the Negro" written by current LDS leaders. Title sums it up, but you can but it on Amazon and check it out.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Booker-t: I also am not fully aware of them being extremely predudiced against black people. As a white male I would say you should follow your gut feelings. Until we see a Black man riding a bicycle With a black tie and a white shirt and a back pac going from door to door handing out Mormon bibles then I think it's safe to say that they have a real problem.

Kojack

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

I stand corrected, google black Mormons and you will find an article that states that in 1997 there were 500,000 black Mormons but all live in Africa, and other foreign lands. But they are not allowed to be elders. And yes, I also will NOT be voting for Romney because he is a cult member who doesn't have a clue about average Americans.

Kojack

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Until we see a Black man riding a bicycle With a black tie and a white shirt and a back pac going from door to door handing out Mormon bibles then I think it's safe to say that they have a real problem."

I saw that a couple of weeks ago...no lie.

• clarity
    clarity

The mormons came to my door in the 60's ... seem to remember that

blacks could not be gods in heaven with many wives/virgins or have their

own planets.??? Sounds goofy, but thats what they said then.

Think they have had to ease up on their teachings in the last decades!

Do some reserch on Goggle and let us know.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My God, if you accept being less a human and less a Mormon than white people, no, they are not racist. A step n' fetch it darkie is always welcome in MOrmons circles. Someone has to do the shit stuff.

Does anyone conceive of a God who would make racial distinctions? Also, is it merely a coincidence that the stupdenous race just happens to be racist Joseph Smith's race.

Please.

My understand from when I was young that no blacks could join. I know there was so much criticism that they slightly amended their policy.

Smith believed that the race of Ham was cursed. This was the same theological bs that justified racism for white Souterners.

It just goes to show that some people will do any dance to amuse their captors. Black people are not good enough for a group that believes an angel of the lord appeared in Westchester County and wear magic underwear. Jesus is not the Christ. We are all like Jesus. He owns earth but we can all own (or maybe only men.) our own sci fi planet. Imagine Klingnon/Earth warfare written even before Gene Roddenberry.

They do respectable things, though, and they are at least as loony as Witnesses.

• designs
    designs

Mormon beliefs are as goofy as Scientology. There is a revised Book Of Mormon that changes the wording about Joseph Smith's racist views.

Kojack57- That's pretty funny on the missionary bicycle observation, true, at least around here lol

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Mormon teaching is racist - all xian teaching is racist - Mormon anti-coloured teaching is a product of xian 19 century racism. Mormon weakness was simply not changing the rules as quickly as other more racially progressive religions. All xian teaching continues to be racist as long as it cites the bible and the concept of God's people seperate from those not of the body of Christ. All religions aim to cause as many divisions and points of difference as possible.

The entire OT privileges one 'race' (Israel) above all others, the NT carries on the debate ( Jews v Gentiles) and fudges an answer allowing gentiles to be adopted into the house of Israel. The bible talks of the curse of Cain which many early christian thinkers associated with a darkening of the skin. This awful interpretation was part of the justification used by xian slave owners. Many protestant churches refused to ordain coloured people until the 60s and in places in Southern US some Catholic churches also refused to ordain colured men.

While the fight in most western religions has been won regarding race (and the Mormons have disavowed their teachings as well going so far as to alter their scriptures) the discrimination against women and gender preference is still ongoing. If you wish to condemn Mormons and certain sects look to their view on gender roles and sexual behaviour - I would suggest.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Gladys Knight is a Mormon, and Eldridge Cleaver became a Mormon in the latter years of his life which surprised the heck out of me. Couldnt believe that when I read it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit