Are Mormons "racist" towards black people?

by booker-t 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mP
    mP

@Jaime

The worst part of racist Mormon history is that Mormons claimed it was the will of God. Mormons claimed that God was the author of the curses that Blacks carried & that Blacks had sinned in the pre-existence. Mormons continue to shift the blame of racism onto God when in fact it was themselves that are to blame for the racism, not God. Mormon Prophets pretended that their racist? beliefs were the will of God. Only false Prophets would teach false doctrine. They are false Prophets.

mP:

Please show me a scripture where Jesus says a single remark against slavery and ill show many where he tells the poor to pay taxes and slaves to be obedient to their masters. Paul also tells in the book of Philemon, the slave to return to his master.

Care to comment ? or better yet show scriptures to back your claims.

How do you explain the jews and Moses claiming god to make slaves and rape the virgins of their neighbours ?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I don't think anyone here is labouring under any misapprehension that the Mormon prophets are real.

You are right that prejudicial attitudes when ascribed to divinity is a smokescreen.

I am grateful to live in a culture both religious, LDS, and secular that is changing its model and now respects people regardless of race.

• Jaime l de Aragon
  • Jaime l de Aragon
  • mP
    mP

Jaime:

Mormons continue to shift the blame of racism onto God when in fact it was themselves that are to blame for the racism, not God

mP

I never claimed JW were better on their policy on slavery than the Mormons. I am not defending either. I will however agree they both have a shameful past. However you replied and said that Mormons were false prophets for teaching slavery. Im sorry in the context it appears to me you were only talking about slavery. I know the Mormons made up a lot of other bullshit, but you did not refer to any of that.

However the Bible and Jesus are perfectly fine with slavery. If we focus only on this then the Mormons are perfectly compatible and faithful to the text. They have not changed anything but continue the fine tradition of hatred, cruelty and racism in the Bible. THe real problem is the Bible, M and JW are all products of a time when man was esepecially cruel to his fellow brother. Hopefully today we have learnt that this not the case, without the Bible. TH less religious we get the better thew orld becomes. Its not a coincedence that the countries in the world today who are v religious are also the the worst on the planet. Trying to imply following the bible is moral is certainly not good.

Just read the bible and let it speak for itself...

the page below has more than enuff scriptures...

http://www.evilbible.com/Slavery.htm

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

How does one explain God is good when you read stuff like Lev 25 ?

• Jaime l de Aragon
    Jaime l de Aragon

@ mP I understood well, just wanted to expose the racist past of JW, The Ethiopian eunuch was black but Felipe ran fast to meet led by the Spirit, and wife Moses was black, never! The scriptures advocate racism
    Mormons, Witnesses, and many many, are a pure falsity of shit

racism

• mP
    mP

Jaime:

You are looking at some stories thru American or modern eyes, where slavery was based on skin color. In the ancient world, they were equal opportunists they accepted slaves regardless of skin. We can see this in the Bible, wehere jews could sell their own daughters into slavery etc. Just because you were black does not mean you were lesser in the old world.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Gladys Knight is a Mormon, and is an advocate for the religion.

Below is a link which discusses Black people in the Mormon religion...

http://www.blacklds.org/

This site celebrates the contributions of Blacks to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and to their communities. Latter-day Saints are also known as Mormons due to their belief in the Book of Mormon in addition to the Bible.

We hope to correct racial myths and misunderstandings that linger from critics of Mormonism as well as from Latter-day Saints themselves. We strive to build the Gospel vision that we are all children of God, of great and equal worth in His sight.

Blacks have been Latter-day Saints since the church’s beginnings in the 1830′s. Some held the priesthood and served missions in the early church. Click on History to see a timeline on how Latter-day Saint events and views toward Blacks unfolded along with religious and secular racial history in America. Read the stories of Black pioneers.....

• Jaime l de Aragon
  • Jaime l de Aragon
    Jaime l de Aragon

It was Smith’s successor, Brigham Young, who adopted the policies that now haunt the church. He described black people as cursed with dark skin as punishment for Cain’s murder of his brother. “Any man having one drop of the seed of Cane in him cannot hold the priesthood,” he declared in 1852. Young deemed black-white intermarriage so sinful that he suggested that a man could atone for it only by having “his head cut off” and spilling “his blood upon the ground.” Other Mormon leaders convinced themselves that the pre-existent spirits of black people had sinned in heaven by supporting Lucifer in his rebellion against God.

Racism

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/opinion/sunday/racism-and-the-mormon-church.html?_r=0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit