What Can We Do to Show How We Cared about Oompa?

by Band on the Run 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I think sending a card to his sons (who are out) is a fitting tribute.

They may not be able to read them all now, but weeks or months from now, when everything has settled down and they have a quiet moment, they can sit down and read our cards, and know that their father touched so many lives.

RIP Eric/Oompa

• still thinking
    still thinking

The flowers idea is nice Aware, I think you should do whatever you feel is most fitting personally. I am going to send a card to his sons.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Thank you for the address, Palm. That's so helpful.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I've thought a lot about it, and to me.....the priority is Eric's sons. They are both OUT, they need to know how much we ALL loved and cared for their Dad.

Flowers and cards to the K-Hall, or Eric's parents (who were shunning him, per WT rules) may not reach them.

Without saying too much, I think the best way of reaching them is through Eric's work address. He had a lot of JW's working for him, but not all. I think they will make sure the boys get the cards. There's also another connection through the office, that may ensure the cards get to the boys....but I dont' want to say too much.

• Dagney
    Dagney

(((Palmtree)))

thank you for the addy. That's a great idea to send it to his sons care of the workplace. The JW coworkers will see the love.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I agree Palm, its not about making a show, it's about sending a personal message to the ones who loved him and were close to him for support. They are the ones who need the support, and to know their father was loved and cared about. Also to know that people care about how they are feeling.

So I suppose it comes down to the intent of your message. If you want to make a statement to JW's that other people cared about someone they disfellowshipped do that. But if it is personal...make it personal.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I'm being bossy now, and you can take or leave my advice. But here it is:

Send a card to the boys.

Curb your personal AGENDAS and CAUSES about the WTS. They don't care about that right now. They just lost their Dad.

Just tell Travis and Ty how much you cared for Eric or were helped/touched by him.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Thanks Palmtree for the address, now we're getting somewhere. And it's good to hear that his sons are out.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Just tell Travis and Ty how much you cared for Eric or were helped/touched by him.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

RE: Flowers

I was really into flowers a while ago. Etiquette books and websites suggest calling a local florist, that can be found through the web, rather than a large national chain. I call a local florist and ask what they have that is fresh. It is a good idea to plan the arrangement around your budget and what the local florist was able to find at the local market. Of course, since I have never seen the arrangements, I have no way of knowing whether it was better. The recipients raved about the arrangements.

Every week I purchase so many flowers according to my budget. I never plan the bouquet in advance. Visting the floral store and seeing what they have is my plan.. I also impose a requirement that the flowers be capable of lasting about one week. It starts very full, and then I remove dead flowers. Believe it or not, with too delicate flowers weeded out (if I truly love them, I purchase them occasionally, some flowers last more than a week. I also go to an upscale floral shop. No matter what I stick to my budget but the flowers I do get are much better quality than in the grocery store.

Just thought I'd share.

With the address, I will send cards to his sons tomorrow. I'd like to write a letter to the editor, op-ed, or whatever but I am reluctant to weather the problems alone. Not certain I could strike just the right tone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit