Not Sure What I Believe In Anymore

by nuthouse escapee 69 Replies latest jw friends

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Inside my head is a tangled ball of wool when it comes to what I believe. I have days where I believe in a Creator and other days when I don't. Then there are times when I refer to this as believing in 'something' but what exactly this something is, I have no idea. At times I just refer to 'it' as an entity or force. I think (today anyway, could think differently tomorrow) that maybe 'something' started the ball rolling and then things evolved from there. Is it just me or does anyone experience this kind of no man's land?Leslie

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Leslie, The Christians here will tell you to pray and let Christ come into your heart. The athiests will tell you needing or creating a god is being weak-minded.

And I can't tell you ANYTHING until I figure things out.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

It's a bit of a pickle isn't it. I feel stuck in the middle of the debate. I want to believe in something but as you pointed out Rip, the athiests will say it's from being weak-minded. The Christians say come to Christ. I have prayed and had 'things' happen but is it co-incidence? Athiests will say yes, Xians will say no.

I guess what I'm really asking is whether or not there are others on the board who are still on the fence or undecided as to what they believe. I know no one can tell someone what or if to believe but I hope I'm not alone in my confusion or it really speaks volumes regarding my mental state and decision making abilities. -Leslie -

• talesin
    talesin

My suggestion is to read some philosophy ... it gets your brain kick-started. You learn different ways of viewing the world ... it's not important to decide what you believe this very moment in time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson is an easy read, and you can pick up a paperback of his essays for only $5 new. :))

It sounds like a difficult subject, but it's not. That's why I thought of Emerson ... short essays, and not convoluted or too 'deep'. In the same vein, of course, are Henry David Thoreau and Walt Whitman.

xo

tal

• tec
    tec

I think many people do experience this no man's land... especially if people have told them what to believe, and they now know not to listen to those people. I always believed in God. But i did drive myself nuts, not knowing what to believe about Him, especially after I stopped studying with the witnesses. "What was true, what was false, what did He want me to do, how could i know where to look?"

I think it is okay not to have all the answers. None of us have all the answers. The only Truth I know is Christ. He is the ONLY truth I know, and so my faith is in Him. If you want to know God, then you need only look to His Son (the truth, the Word, the Image of God)

Everything else gets pretty noisy and muddles up the simple truth of Christ.

You can also ask for faith if you need it (and if you want it)... and keep asking, keep knocking; the door will be opened.

Peace to you,

tammy

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Thank you for the recommendations Tal. I will definitely give those authors a try. I LOVE reading. I guess I need to not obsess over this. I have (bi-polar & OCD) so it is hard sometimes to wait for answers but I am not as bad as I was. Thanks for the reminder that I don't need to decide RIGHT NOW. Leslie (I've been really messed up since the encounter with the snake, it really threw me)

• tec
    tec

I can guarantee that there are many people on this board who feel the same as you. Give them some time to find your thread and respond. You are not the only one.

Peace to you,

tammy

• talesin
    talesin

I'm like that with spiders .... understand.

Not sure about your financial situation, but another great book is "Twenty Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy" ... it's a uni text for 1st year philosophy, and is AWESOME ... Yes, it has 20 chapters; each is a different 'question for the ages', and is available at your local university bookstore (buy it used or put up a notice on craig's list) or on Amazon.com (used) for around $60.00. You "may" be able to borrow it from the library, too. :))

• umadevi
    umadevi

Welcome to the club! I have been out since April 2011, since then I have read many books on religions and some more on atheism .... and now in the same situation as you. There are days that I think I believe in Creator and then, when I look at horrible things happening around the world, I question the existence of God. Currently I am attending local Catholic church, not because I have faith, but because I happen to make good friends there! I have no definite stand on whether to believe or not to believe.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, since the end of the world isn't coming tomorrow morning (as far as we know), you can sort it out. I won't drown on with details, but I was where you are. I think the journey is the most important thing, not the destination. Enjoy the journey of discover and belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit