Not Sure What I Believe In Anymore

by nuthouse escapee 69 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

I am so turned off religion because of having been a JW for so long(48 yrs as a born in).

I hear you. I started a study with them because I was turned off of religion (ironic, i know, lol)... and they kind of cinched it for me. I am not part of an organized religion, and I think they are a hindrance for the most part.

I no longer believe the Bible is God's word.

LOL.. neither do I :)

Christ is the Word of God. The living Word... the living image... the living truth... of a living God.

The bible is not a living word, so it understandably cannot grant life.

I feel this way because if it were that important for us, why is it so confusing and how can it be spun to have so many contradictory interpretations.

Because it had to go through men to get to us.

Perhaps my having an under-lying mental illness just adds to the confusion.

Perhaps... but seems to me that you are seeing quite clearly that religion is not the way to go, and that God would not give us something contradictory, and tell us to listen to it.

Christ, though, is pretty simple... if we can get rid of all the preconceptions and noise that tries to drown Him out.

Peace to you on your search and your journey,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Christ, though, is pretty simple... if we can get rid of all the preconceptions and noise that tries to drown Him out.

In other words...start hearing voices and you will be sorted!

You are talking literally here aren't you tec? The noise that drowns out his voice. The voice you claim to hear. That is how you claim to KNOW the truth.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hey Leslie - I know what you mean. When I initially left I still believed in God, just not the JW God. Then I became agnostic - if there is a god great, if not great. Then I moved onto questioning if god even existed - athiest, and then explored that perhaps we are god. I've even given thought to that their may have been outside help - dare I say aliens???

Now I am in a place where I pretty much keep too: we are all made up of energy and thus all connected. I am happy with that but I will always listen to people and here what they have to say, mull over it and see if it resonates with me. If it does I keep it, if not I let it go.

The thing is I am comfortable in this. I have no NEED as before to know and have an answer for everything.

Just go with the flow and remember you can change your beliefs, they help us grow our minds/outlooks. It opens up our horizons. Be open to everything and take what you need to use in your life.

All the bet.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Flipper: Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. As my wonderful hubby always says to me, "Hon, tomorrow is another day".

Rip: I also love other points of view and having the freedom to exchange ideas. Certainly something that was frowned upon in the JW circus world. (send in the clowns)

Vanderhoven 7: Thank you for your well-balanced response. I will check out that site. My duty now is to examine all things carefully to make an informed decision.

Still Thinking: I find for me, a wall goes up the minute anyone starts pushing their beliefs on me, no matter what side of the debate they're on. (now I know how the people at the door felt, considering we were pushy at times , they were very civil)

New Chapter: Thanks for weighing in re: the misconceptions surrounding what atheists do or do not believe and what has motivated individuals to come to their decision. I think this is common in regard to many things and not just matters of belief or lack there-of. Assuming. As it is said...Assuming makes an Ass of U & me! I have appreciated all the suggestions I have received for suggested reading. As a child I had no say as to what my belief system would be. As an adult I owe it to myself to make an informed decision based on facts and not emotion. Blind faith in anything, whether evolution, creation, or something else is no longer acceptable.

(((NO LAW)))

Tec: I am happy that your faith in Christ has worked out for you, and has brought you spiritual contentment. I appreciate all points of view but try not to push too hard. lol. I automatically put up a wall when this happens, probably because the JW approach to belief was so dogmatic. I appreciate the info re: the Christian site and as I mentioned to Vanderhoven 7, I will check it out. I feel I owe it to myself to make an informed decision no matter where it leads.

LouBelle: LOL @ ALIENS. OMG I have actually had the alien conversation with my best friend and the accompanying speculation that goes with it. I agree that one must keep an open mind.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hey, I just saw a really cool video on a Giraffe dissection, and it led to a discussion of intelligent design. It's all based on the nerve that connect the brain to the larynx, and the fact that it really only needs to travel a few inches to do it's job, but actually travels from the brain to the heart, wraps around a major artery and does a u turn back to the larynx. Crazy, but it is a historical legacy from when it developed in a fish and then kept extending as the neck grew and speciated. Evolution is not able to simply rewire, as it is about adaptation, but simply adjusts as it goes. If an intelligent agent were behind it, it simply would have rewired that nerve. I'll post it here. One step on your journey to start checking out many ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS RESPONDED. IT HAS HELPED ME GREATLY TO KNOW THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE CURRENTLY IN THIS TURMOIL, AND THAT OTHERS HAVE SUCCESSFULLY NAVIGATED TO A PLACE OF PEACE WITHIN, AS A BELIEVER OR NON-BELIEVER. IT GIVES US SOMETHING TO AIM FOR. I SYMPATHIZE WITH OTHERS LIKE MYSELF AND KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING IT CAN BE.

HOPEFULLY THE SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP US CAUGHT IN THIS "LIMBO" OF SORTS TO DO THE RESEARCH NECESSARY TO MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION THAT WILL HELP US BE AT PEACE WITHIN OURSELVES.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THOSE ON EITHER THE BELIEVING OR NON-BELIEVING SIDE IN NOT ALLOWING THIS TO DEGRADE INTO A SPARRING MATCH WHICH HELPS NO ONE IMO.

MAY WE CONTINUE IN OUR JOURNEY AND HELP EACH OTHER ALONG THE WAY. SINCERELY LESLIE G.

• tec
    tec

I appreciate all points of view but try not to push too hard. lol. I automatically put up a wall when this happens, probably because the JW approach to belief was so dogmatic

Lol... no doubt!

Take your time. Read and search and question as YOU need to do so.

Peace!

tammy

• alias
    alias

Is it just me or does anyone experience this kind of no man's land?

All the time.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Alias: Well if nothing else, we know we're not alone. Finding out everything we ever thought was true and then realizing it was not is soul-shattering. Every opinion, outlook, direction and core value that we held has now been called into question. We have to start all over again and try not to get hood-winked again. It is scary. I don't want to go through this turmoil again. That is why I will take the advice given to research, research, research so that I can feel confident in whatever conclusion I end up with. The reminders that we don't have to hurry in our decision has been taken to heart. At least we are sure about one thing, that the WT does not have the answers we're looking for! lol -Leslie-

• BlindersOff1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit