Are you pro-activist, anti-activist, or passive?

by cedars 52 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I ask this question because, having been on this forum for a year now, it's clear to me that there are many shades to so-called "apostasy", and this is particularly evident in the realm of anti-Watchtower activism.

When I use the word "activism", likely picketing kingdom halls and conventions springs to mind. However, activism can be far more subtle than that. Just having a website or a book that sheds light on the flaws of Watchtower dogma is really a form of activism - arguably the most effective form at that. There are also those who do excellently at giving support and advice to new members on this forum, which is one area I think I could do better in. More extreme forms of activism might include the campaign by Anonymous or support thereof, which many understandably have mixed feelings about.

So my question is, are you FOR or AGAINST activism - or not that bothered either way? If so, what are your reasons?

I only ask because there seems to be those on this forum who are less sensitive than others regarding the need to help lurkers out of what is essentially a very damaging cult. The sentiment of such ones seems to be "I figured it out for myself, so lurkers should too." Others, like myself, feel a need to present factual and balanced information a little more proactively, mindful that this forum is frequently visited by active JWs.

I'm not interesting in getting into any arguments or stigmatizing anybody, I just would just genuinely like to know how people feel about activism in its various forms. Most importantly, what motivates your feelings either for or against? Hopefully this thread is a good opportunity to share your views on this subject.

Cedars

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

You've set the semantics for 'activism' fairly broadly, so people can be simultaneously for and against 'activism'.

• cedars
    cedars

Jeffro

You've set the semantics for 'activism' fairly broadly, so people can be simultaneously for and against 'activism'.

Thanks, probably I've just not explained myself adequately. Yes, people can be simultaneously for and against activism, but this implies that certain forms of activism are acceptable whereas others aren't. Therefore, what is acceptable and what is going too far? Or are there those who rigidly refuse to do anything described above for whatever reason?

Cedars

• bohm
    bohm

cedars: Basically i wouldnt say something is not acceptable as long as it is not illegal (such as anonymous and possibly picketing). That said, activism is typically very self-defeating since it just validate one of the primary beliefs which keep people trapped namely that they are being persecuted by satan.

I think the important part is getting a lot of objective and fair information out there and engage JWs into discussing their reasons for believing as they do (like you and jwfacts do a lot), and i wouldnt personally call that activism.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

what he said

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Cedars, I'm all for the aspect of activism as a means of helping others regarding imparting information which results in a positive change. I appreciate all those who have put in so many hours of their personal time uncovering the truth- not just about the WTS, but injustice of any kind. I personally don't like the activities of extremists.

I want to comment on what you said: " I only ask because there seems to be those on this forum who are less sensitive than others regarding the need to help lurkers out of what is essentially a very damaging cult. The sentiment of such ones seems to be "I figured it out for myself, so lurkers should too."

There are some who are less sensitive, but as a whole, I think that everyone has in their way, tried to offer support. If you are specifically speaking about a topic posted that people were less than helpful, in which there was a genuine inquiry, then could you provide the topic, please?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

cedars: There is very little that any of us can do to help people escape. Those who have a desire to leave will find the information/motivation needed to exit. Those who truly enjoy being JWs will remain JWs in most cases.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

If it weren't for the child sexual abuse issue and JWs who commit suicide I probably wouldn't feel a need to speak up at all.

I'm not one to attack doctrine as I feel it reinforces the siege mentality among JWs.

My blog is about the odd life JWs lead. I hope it raises questions in the minds of those who read it and gets them to reconsider.

New post every Tuesday. http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

• LV101
    LV101

Agree w/comments above and from my experience LeavingWT is so right. Knowledge is power and everything but it's a segment hard to reach. I don't want anything illegal but it's euophoric thinking their evil might be shouted from the media nonstop however delusional it might be. Not that it would penetrate thru the brainwashing but give them something to think about.

It's difficult to be pro-activist when lying low. Grateful for all the hardwork of many x-wits --- hopefully, those we love will take a peep someday.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I considerate myself a moderate.

I'm anti-activist but pro-phylactic.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit