God Changing Chosen Peoples

by eyes_opened 83 Replies latest jw friends

• MDS
    MDS

Hi Larc,

For the wider audience of those here who believe that there will be a modern day fulfillment of the prophesy under discussion, how would you prove that MDS is the one. I am sure you could help them, even it you can't help me. I think you owe it to them to give thoughtful consideration to this important, indeed, pivotal question.

Indeed, I think all JWs should give "thoughtful consideration" to such a claim. I agree on that, myself. It is a very powerful, unique claim, to be a special representative of Jehovah God.

I would certainly expect Amos 3:7 to have some, special application toward this one. That would have to be expected. And for those who have taken the time to find out, information of this nature has been provided, as some on this board can attest.

I am gald for you that you have a spiritual guide in MDS. Obviously, I am not convinced. I have asked several questions regarding points of clarification, which he refused to answer, because he said I was insincere. Since you are sincere, why don't you ask him these questions in private.

As you know, the Bible says to "turn down foolish and ignorant questionings," knowing as you do, that the only "produce fights," ... fights about words and so on. We've neither the time nor energy for such. Time is of the essence. Also, the Bible tells us that Jesus did not "wrangle," with people, even fellow-Israelites. Thus, my ministry is the same. No "wrangling" necessary. What I say, will stand on its own merit. The "truth" needs nothing to prop itself up on. It will stand. -- 2 Tim. 2:23; Matt. 12:19

Both the scriptures you quote and the statements MDS makes are abiguous enough to fit a wide range of situations and outcomes. If he fixes the date of 2001 as being important, then he can take events in 2002 and say after the fact that they were fulfillment of his predictions. Psychics, fortune tellers and clairvoyants use this technique all the time, i.e., say something vague and then after an event they show how it fits, and those who are motivated to believe, do believe. (People who do this are not demon possessed they are very clever. It has been shown in many studies, that their claims fail under scientific scrutiny)

Actually, you have no way of knowing exactly what we've said about the year of 2001, until we tell you. I assure you, what we believe about the year is in no way, "vague," to us. Again, others on this board, can attest to this fact, also.

What, for example, does the word "trample" mean as applied to the 42 months? A good prophet should have a very specific image of what this means and what will happen, if they are worth their salt as a prophet. When will this trampling begin, in 2002, or is this unkown? He did make on thing clear. Ony about one third will repent. Now that prediction is measurable.

Worldwide, political "harrassment" of JWs, WTS and all. Complete pressure placed upon them to compromise and conform, like all of the other church organizations of the land and around the world.

But, if I understand your question correctly, No, we DO NOT believe the "trampling" of the nations upon "Israel," for the specified period of some "42 months," will occur at the end of 2001. That is NOT what we believe.

There are even more important things that must take place before the "trampling" period begins.

One minor point. You said that Jehovah could have a prophecy fulfilled many times. Well, yes I suppose he could, but has he? If so, could you find a prophesy in the Bible that has been fulfilled many times and list each of the fulfillments?

From the above question, what am I left to assume? Does this mean, you do not believe prophecy has any merit today? Or, do you want us to convince you that Bible prophecy has merit today? Bible prophecy is worthy of our time and study...should we convince you of that?

You said you are a THIRD GENERATION JWs, right? What's wrong with you, then?

Do you have more confidence, now in Science, than in the Bible itself? Is that your problem?

So, what do you what me to do about it? Give you more faith?

Give you some of my "oil" ... my extra "oil", as the 5 foolish virgins expect of the 5 wise ones, Matt. 25th chapter?

If you don't have faith, sorry, I can't help you my friend.

Remember Luke 18:8..."will he really find the Faith?" That's the question.

Ask yourself, did Jesus have to come to "Israel" and tell them to "please believe God's Word," "have faith in God's Word people, it will surely be fulfilled..."

Sorry, friend, that's not my ministry. Luke 18:8 says: "when the son of man arrives...will he really find the FAITH." Faith.

Either you have it, or you don't.

If you do not believe...that is your problem...you don't believe the Bible, its prophecy, as God's Unfailing, Incorruptible, Inspired Word. If you feel it has no merit, no meaning pertainent to us today, then, you have made a serious decision for yourself. And, you must accept the consequences, whatever those consequences are, of your actions, in case, just in case, Jehovah sees it another way. As in Luke 18:8.

Why should we convince a 3rd generation witness of something like that...why?

Either you have faith in God's Word, or you don't...that's simple. Nobody is going to labor with you, try and convince someone that is already dedicated and baptized, someone already in a Covenant relationship with God, someone who promised God, that he would do his will UNRESERVEDLY, have faith in His Word, UNRESERVEDLY, -- and now we've got to convince you that the Bible is God's Word? That Prophecy is real, applicable to us today? Huh?

You are greatly mistaken, my friend. That is not my mission at all.

For if it were, the next thing you know, we will have to convince you that THERE IS A GOD...probably that is your next question. Really. That's not my mission...not at all.

So, then, all this talk about dates, when will this happen, and when will that happen, ... when in fact, we are really talking to a person who lacks faith in the prophetic word of God itself, to start with. A very weak and faulty premise to start with. This is not much, for me, to base a real Bible discussion upon. Someone that doesn't believe that the Bible, and its prophecies, can be relied upon, implicitly.

Thus, I don't spend my time that way...I'm not going to try to convince any baptized JW to have Faith in God...nor in His Word. Someone already in a Covenant, contractual Relationship with Jehovah God. Why should I? Someone that doubts, God's Word. A Sin. A very serious sin indeed.

If you don't believe it, then you are on your own.

In the recent past, I pointed out in my post on the Bible Research board, on "Miracles and signs"... all "Israel," is EXPECTED TO HAVE FAITH...a requirement. If spiritual "Israel" does not exhibit faith, it viewed as a "sin" before God. Indeed, a "Israel" found in the "last days," with no faith, is a "Israel" that has FAILED GOD'S TEST...no question.

Remember, to lack faith, is a "sin" in itself, a deadly one. Honestly, I believe, this is your problem. A serious problem of your own, unique doing, making. The books you read, the things you delve into, mysticals things, writings of men, thoughts of men, that contradict God's Word, His Thoughts, are satanical... Should be avoided at all cost.

So, for these reasons, and more, usually speaking, except upon rare occurrence, I usually will not spend much time on such subjects with people, wrangling over nonsensical things, like "did Adam and Eve really exist," or do you think the "flood" really occurred, scientifically speaking and so on. I don't have time for that, .. if you don't believe, then, you don't believe it, and I will leave it at that. -- See Proverbs 9:7-9

MDS

Edited by - MDS on 27 January 2001 21:29:14

• Deacon
    Deacon

It is my experience:

That those claiming to have divine guidance and knowledge of truth, usually dont.

That those claiming the aforementioned qualities are the most sarcastic and demeaning of all postulators of unproven theories.

That usually the fall from grace is public and painful.

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Deacon,

Nice to meet you. I adamently agree with your opinions and observations. How succinctly put. Thank you.

waiting

• larc
    larc

Jr and MDS,

I am glad that you study the Bible together, and I'm glad that you have found the error of the WT, and have found interpretations that give you comfort.

I have a comment on the "foolish and ignorant questions" quote. For the questioner it is sometimes difficult to determine the intelligent from the unitelligent question. You will often hear teachers encourage students to ask questions, even if the student may think it's a dumb one. That's the only way a student can learn. The only exception I can see is if the student is trying to sidetrack the teacher of disrrupt the class. That was not my intent, and I think that as you talk to others the questions I posed are the ones that other's will ask as well.

Regarding out times, I don't think the end is near and if it is, so be it, there's no point in getting in a lather about it, because we mere mortals can't do anything about it anyway. As far as our daily conduct goes, we should live a good moral life as best we can without the threat of impending doom. If we are good out of fear, then I don't think that Jehovah would look kindly on us.

If it seems to me that posters at this forum tend to emphasise one of two aspects of the Diety, either "love and mercy" or "vengeful destruction". I prefer to read the four gospels and concentrate on the mercilful theme in the message. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying that it is my preference.

It's been nice chatting with you.

• trevor
    trevor

Hello,

It has been interesting to follow this thread. What always amuses me is the way intelligent people will try to defend the indefensable, such as the Bibles account of the flood, and then when others raise serious and logical (lets not forget larc) points, they are patronised will neat little quotes. They are told that they cannot expect a satisfying answer but must rely on faith. Logical why do you call yourself logical if you believe we are too lowly to understand the reasoning of God or come to any conclusion based on - well logic?

'God's ways are higher than our's'. 'It's not for earthling man to work it out.' 'God chose the foolish.'My thoughts are higher than your's. Yet despite this idea that we are all too stupid to get to the bottom of it all we are supposed understand enough to make a decision upon which out eternal life depends.

I think are capable of knowing truth could it just be that we need to study more than the bible. There are other holy books that offer some very logical explanations books are after all designed to enlighten us. One would think that a book written by God would be the clearest ever written. Am I being too logical again?

I wonder if these same faith possessing people would vote for a political party that placed all the blame for the mess a country got in on the voters and then told them, they were to dim to understand so just have faith in us anyway, and do as you are told.

'They talk of some severe testing of us all,
    In which we'll all be judged and tossed to hell.
    Pish! he's a good fellow and 'twill all be well.'

trevor

Edited by - trevor on 28 January 2001 6:3:56

• mommy
    mommy

Betty Crocker cookbook:
    Homeade Biscuits: Dash of salt, Pinch of baking soda, a little bit of lard, and flour(the basis of any Betty Crocker meal), little bit of milk, and just a splash of water. Cook for awhile, then take out and eat, serves a few people.
    Hhmmmm. Can't make a darn thing out of that! Lets pray and see what the REAL recipe is:)
    OK I have it now! I know of what I speak it is before my very eyes follow me I shall lead........
    Man I just can't make out this recipe! I will try it though because it sounds good, I will just ENJOY making it and WAIT and see how it turns out!
    A dash? a pinch? a little? What is this recipe trying to tell me?
    Betty Crocker is the GOD of the kitchen, so as long as I follow, I WILL be right!
    My friend down the road, who I have known for a LONG time, has made this recipe! I believe if I stay with my friend she will lead me to the BEST biscuits I have ever had!
    Gee I don't know I REALLY want good biscuits BUT..... what do I have to sacrifice for them?
    The bible is a BOOK! A basic book to be followed by whom? ALL? Who is interpreting this book? MAN? They are imperfect aren't they? So what am I supposed to do with my life?
    How do I go day to day not knowing what do how to live, how many steps to the mailbox? God gave us a freemind, and free spirit!
    I am writing this in hopes that you FOLLOWERS of an imperfect man will see the light. Life is not planned out in my humble opinion. Basically we wake up in the am and have our tasks to complete, but are stumbled by obstacles in the way. THIS IS LIFE!!!!!!!!
    Guess what? There is NO clear picture to the end!!!! There is NO step by step book. The answers you seek well there are UNANSWERABLE. Yes someone may give us a good insight into life, such as someone telling Betty Crocker biscuits turn out better at 325%.
    But if you are looking to find someone who is predicting the future from a sketchy worn out, repeat VERSION of the truth of God....He simply can't. Why? because he has NOT been there yet and does NOT know until it happens!
    I respect that you have studied together, and appreciate your interest in the END. BUT how do we know? We DO NOT!!!! HE does not he is acting on HIS beliefs. Well if I thought I should put two cups of lard in my bicuits and 1 cup of flour and RAVED they were the BEST I ever had.....but you can't sample the biscuits till after you die. Would you live your WHOLE life for a taste of my bisciuts? Crazy isn't it? I wouldn't change my lifestyle and friends, and family over a little interpretation of an recipe!!!!
    Brothers I beseach you!!!! Know what you are seeking....Know your source....Know where you want to be in 30 yrs.
    Get to know yourself again if you have too. But don't follow an interpratation of the recipe, if the original version is SOOOO vague!Because the bicuits will ALWAYS end up being flat!
    wendy

Edited by - MOMMY on 28 January 2001 6:56:21

Edited by - MOMMY on 28 January 2001 7:30:49

• circare
    circare

Excuse MDS but what happened here?

bjc said

He can have as many fulfillments as He wishes.

larc said
    could you find a prophesy in the Bible that has been fulfilled many times and list each of the fulfillments?

MDS said
    Does this mean, you do not believe prophecy has any merit today? ....Do you have more confidence, now in Science, than in the Bible itself? .....what do you what me to do about it? Give you more faith? .....and now we've got to convince you that the Bible is God's Word?

Larc asked a logical question that deserved an honest answer. I also wanted to know the answer to that question. Larc did not say he did not believe prophecy had merit. Larc did not say he had more faith in science than the bible. Larc did not say he did not have faith in the bible or in God.

MDS why waste time in a diatribe against Larc instead of answering the question he asked. Do you not think the answer could have been faith strengthening? (Note: I did not say 'faith giving' but 'faith strengthening')

Edited by - circare on 28 January 2001 7:26:52

• neyank
    neyank

Hi mommy,
    I like your analogy.
    The bible is basically like a cook book.
    It's been around for a long time and it has many translations.
    And of course there have been many "chefs" down thru the years trying to tell us the proper way to interpret it.
    How many changes have been made in the bible?
    There's no way for us to know.
    That's why I believe as time goes on and we get closer to the final stages of this system, God will let us all know without a doubt the real truth about Him and at that time, we will make a choice.
    Just my thoughts.
    neyank

• thinker
    thinker

It never fails to amaze me how some people will always look to others for answers. Why do some ask others to think for them and interpret for them rather than relying on their own knowledge and insight? And why is it that if you ask too many questions you always get to the point where you must accept something on blind faith? This aspect of all the religions has always turned me away. If I am one of God's children, then why can't I have a one-on-one relationship with Him? No one person should define for me what that relationship should be; it is between me and God.
    I'd really like to hear some opinions. Why do some follow other people's thinking rather than thinking for themselves?

• neyank
    neyank

Hi thinker,
    That's a good question.
    Why is it that people in general tend to be followers and rely on certain people to tell them what is right and wrong?
    Could it be that it's easier for people to do that?
    Could it be that some don't want to do the work of finding the "truth" for themselves so they rely on others to find it for them?
    It is easier to blame someone else for mistakes even if we are the ones that blindly followed.
    neyank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit