Yesterday was my Son's 21st Birthday

by 00DAD 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Lozhasleft, You're welcome. We comfort one another. God knows we're not getting it from the "Shepherds" at the local KH!!!

I am feeling a bit better today, thanks. As for worrying that you "jumped in on" my thread, don't give it a second thought. I actually appreciated reading your experience and that you've learned/are learning to come to terms with it. That's where I need to head to.

Dagney, Thank you for your comments and encouragement.

I hope he doesn't forget anything. I think you're right that, even though he feels he is doing the right thing, that it is not without pain for him. I want him to feel it. Not because I am mean, but because I love him. Pain helps us realize what is and isn't good for us. The problem is that right now he no doubt thinks I am causing him the pain, when in fact it is his false beliefs that are the source of his pain and frustration.

But I have to be careful. If I just went a way and he never heard from me again there would be the pain of loss, but he would not be forced to come to terms with the ongoing source of pain. If I try to hard or respond in anger then it will only push him further away and he also will not see the real source of his pain. It would only tend to confirm the misconception that I am the problem.

True my actions that led to my being disfellowshipped were no doubt hard for him. But if it weren't for the shunning policy of the WTBTS we would be having on-going dialogue and healing could be taking place. Because I'm disfellowshipped healing is prevented.

My efforts to reach out are reminders to him. This is what I want. I just need to be patient, balanced and try not to get upset, at least not so that he can know or feel it.

I really appreciated your comment that, "What he will know is you love him and you did what you had to do for your life."

That is exactly what I want him to know! It may take time, but as you also said, it is "something kids just don't understand until they get older."

True dat!

00DAD

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

I am sorry 00DAD. I have a daughter the same as your son. I can't imagine being in your situation.

Are you looking into getting reinstated in order to have relationship with your children? You know there's way. Are you aware of that?

• flipper
    flipper

00DAD- I'm so sorry you are going through this my friend. I know it hurts. I'm experiencing the shunning by my 2 JW adult daughters now going on 9 years since we've done anything together. They are 25 and 24 yrs.old respectively. What helps me to not take it so personally is understanding that our JW children are actually mentally ill. What I mean is they suffer from what Steve Hassan calls " dissociative disorder " -namely they turn off their emotions towards us thinking they are doing God a favor , yet they are not . It's delusional thinking influenced by cult mind control of the WT society. As Steve Hassan stated if our cult mind controlled children HAD CONTROL of their own minds - they would see they are being barbaric in their behavior towards us. But their minds are controlled by an evil entity - the WT society.

DAD - There is STILL an authentic personality underneath the WT cult personality in your son and my 2 daughters. However - it's hidden by the cult personality, actually smothered as it were so it won't come out and show itself. So they remain emotionless robots, programmed to hate ANYTHING or ANYBODY that gets in the way of the WT interests. All we can hope for is that hopefully they'll be treated unjustly by elders or authority figures in the JW cult then it might wake them up. Or they will experience a lack of love or other injustices by others which pricks their sensitivity or authentic , real self. Until then all we can do is wait, watch, and let them know we will be there with open arms if and when the time comes for them to exit the Witnesses. I'll try to call this weekend bro, perhaps we can talk. Hang in there guy, just know that you have some close friends here that understand and support you . Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

To 00DAD: Your OP is heart-breaking. I cannot imagine what that must feel like. My ex and I were lucky enough to get our daughter out at a relatively young age.

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing this kind of pain and I want you to know that I'm sending positive thoughts your way (don't know how to pray anymore). You've brought tears to my eyes tonight and I can't wait for the day that we're all crying tears of joy with you, because you've regained your children.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Hugs to flipper as well. (Just read your post.)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That is really tragic, and my thoughts go out to you. It was a very nice gesture, and hopefully was received by your son with some happiness that you remembered the occasion, even if he felt he could not keep the bottle.

I do not think there is anything you can really do or say at this stage to help your son. He will need to come to his own conclusion about the religion, and is unlikely to accept any information you may try to provide him with. Sending the occasional reminder that you love him and are there for him will do more good than anything else.

• sizemik
    sizemik

The eldest of my 3 sons was 17 when we wised up . . . none were baptised. A few more years and I could have been in the same place you find yourself. I feel undeservedly fortunate.

Your continued kindness and reminders will feed into any CD he might feel some at time in the future . . . it's all you can do. I wish I could say more.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

blindnomore, I'm glad you and your daughter are still close. Thanks for the PM. Did you see my reply?

flipper, As always, thanks for the encouraging words. I think of you and your situation often as there are many parallels. I've read both of Hassan's first two books and they have helped me both to better understand the situation and to develop a strategy for healing myself and possibly reaching my kids.

The attempts I do make to reach out to them are carefully designed to reach that authentic personality that you mentioned. But it's hard because, as you commented, it is repressed by their JW cult personality. Since both of them are "born-ins" they never have had the opportunity to know their true, authentic self. It is only there in embryonic form.

I think of how difficult it was for me to recover my authentic self after leaving the organization (I was 24 when I was baptized) and I realize that I have an uphill battle winning the hearts and minds of my sons. Still, I won't give up. It's just so hard dealing with it.

I'm home today. If you can talk, I'd love it.

hemp lover, Wow, sorry to make you cry. But I do appreciate your positive thoughts. The support of you and everyone else here is really something amazing. It really gives lie to the WT claims of what so-called "apostates" are like and exposes their fake Christianity.

Glad you were able to get your family out in one piece. I'm jealous, but in a good way!

jwfacts, Yes, I do hope he had a mixture of happiness that I remembered even if he sent it back. Of course I don't know how he is feeling or what he is thinking, but I can guess. Actually, he didn't even open the box so he would be guessing what was in it. That might even be better, it might get him thinking more.

Your advice to avoid anything doctrinal or critical about the religion is of course sound and well-taken. This is why all my efforts to make contact are completely non-religious and are simply typical of what would be normal between a dad and his son.

It reminds me of a dating tip I read once to speed things up in a relationship: Treat a woman as if you are already boyfriend-girlfriend. The context wasn't suggesting that you do anything inappropriate, just that a confident man can take some positive control in a relationship by behaving as if things were already as he wanted them to be; acting as if the future were here now, rather than waiting for some invisible clues that might never come.

My spin on this in this situation is to simply try to treat my sons as much as possible as if we already have a normal relationship post-divorce. I am NOT acting as if nothing bad, painful or difficult for them has happened. I've done everything possible to acknowledge and address that. What I AM doing is acting as if we are now past that and ready to move on to the next stage, but always remaining cognizant that I am taking a lead that they are not ready to follow. It's a theory.

Nevertheless, I also realize that in anything I do there is the implicit criticism of WT policies by the very fact that I am basically ignoring their mandate to not contact my own sons. Still, I believe turning-up the volume periodically on the Cognitive Dissonance is important to do. That is my plan: push a little, back-off. Push a little, back-off. Lather, rinse, repeat.

sizemik, I don't know if you remember, but when I first began posting here a little more than a year ago, you were one of the first JWN members to show me compassion, understanding and support. I really appreciated it then and still do now. I'm so glad you got your kids out before they were baptized.

My oldest was baptized before I left and their mother somehow got my youngest baptized within months after my leaving. (I don't know how she did that, he was not exactly on track to get baptized when I left. She probably used my DFing to manipulate and pressure him.)

Your comments on feeding the CD are right on. See what I wrote to jwfacts above.

BTW, I miss Ritchie.

00DAD

• SophieG
    SophieG

{{{{{00DAD}}}}}

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Hey Sophie, I'm not sure what your post is supposed to mean?!?

Can you translate please? Thanks,

00DAD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit