Yesterday was my Son's 21st Birthday

by 00DAD 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• tec
    tec

Oh no. I'm so sorry. I think you did the right thing. At the very least, he has to acknowldge you to return the gifts to you. I think if he didn't care at all... he'd just toss 'em. Even if it is just his way of throwing it in your face, he's got to care about you to care enough to do that.

You're doing the best you can, and no one can ask more of you. One day, I hope he sees that. He probably will, 00Dad. It can take adult kids a long time to see their parents, but things in their lives tend to happen at some point, that force them to see where you were coming from all along.

Peace and strength to you,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Loz, I'm so sorry for what you have and are going through with your children. I cannot imagine the heartache.

Peace,

tammy

• clarity
    clarity

00Dad ... so sorry.

Your son broke a sacred trust between the two of you.

The personal special game-plan you guys had ... was just

tossed away along with the gift!

Why??????

Because he believed the LIE!

He became deluded and blinded by a high control cult!

A cult who teaches that blood is not thicker than water watchtower!

The cognitive dissonance was just too strong I guess.

He will wake-up one day and his heart will just break over this!

clarity ...{{{00Dad}}}

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You deserve better.

Your son is very young. There is a good possibility that he will awaken.

Hang in there.

• talesin
    talesin

00DAD, and Loz, too.

My very good friend has been going through this with his 3 daughters for years now. He has brain cancer. Before that, he had kidney cancer.

They continue to shun him, and break his heart. They are all in their 20s. It breaks my heart, to see the anguish this has caused him.

I shed a few tears for you today, DAD. This is so cruel, and I hope things change.

Loz, dear heart. You are such a lovely person, and I just . don't . get it!

Sending you lots of love, and hope that your kids will wake up!

tal

• 00DAD
    00DAD

jgnat, thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words.

tec, I really appreciate your feedback and support. I think you're right, or at least I HOPE you're right (lol) about the fact his returning things shows he cares, at least on some level. I've often wondered about that. He could just accept them and throw them away. But then I'd never know. This way (he thinks) he is sending a message. Kind of like Rhett Butler's famous, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" from GWTW. If he really didn't care, then why did he travel all the way to Tara to tell her?

I'm trying to be patient and strong, but it's hard. Thank you Tammy.

clarity, you're right of course that he is just doing what he has been indoctrinated to do. I know that, but it still hurts. Probably he is angry too. I suspect he is disappointed that we don't get to share this special, long-planned event together. Only he doesn't realize yet that he holds the keys to his freedom.

It is my hope and my plan to lovingly, patiently and continuously do things like this to create more cognitive dissonance. But I have to be careful. Too much and it will just cause his defenses to go up and, as binadub commented, "fortify his misplaced faith". On the other hand, too little and he will never have his wrong beliefs and hurtful behaviors challenged.

leavingwt, I was hoping you'd comment on this thread! Thanks. I believe I deserve better too. I believe my sons deserve better as well. Your efforts to reach your family members and your results are inspiring to me. As always I appreciate your suggestions and advice.

talesin, thank you very much for your emotional words of compassion and support. It means a lot to me.

• Quandry
    Quandry

You certainly are doing the right thing. He can never say that you left him and didn't want contact. So sad....but maybe one day, he'll have a son of his own and have a change of heart.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Quandry: He can never say that you left him and didn't want contact. So sad....but maybe one day, he'll have a son of his own and have a change of heart.

Exactly! That is the premise upon which I am proceeding.

Several others have suggested that it may take a big life changing event for him to get it. (We know it's NOT going to be Armageddon)

Whatever it is, I just hope it happens while I'm still alive!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Thank you OODAD TEC and TALESIN for your kind words. Sadly I've come to terms with things to a great extent, my hubby, his family and our friends take good care of me, life is still good. I shouldn't really have jumped in on your thread OODAD sorry, your situation just set me off I think. I hope you're feeling better today.

Loz x

• Dagney
    Dagney

00DAD, you are doing the right thing.

Kids don't forget anything. Even though your son feels he is doing the right thing for the greater good, it is not without pain. Who knows what the future will bring as the years keep rolling along. What he will know is you love him and you did what you had to do for your life(something kids just don't understand until they get older).

I hate this GDF***ing religion. The pain it causes between loved ones on both sides makes my blood boil. For nothing. Absof***inglutely nothing.

Good luck. Hang in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit