What did you eat when you moved out if you didn't know how to cook?

by Aware! 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

What bts said:

Ms. OM and I are hard-core foodies these days.

Spoiled rotten compared to much of the rest of the planet.

om

• jws
    jws

You can eat healthy or cheap. Another factor is what's easy and what's difficult. I'm going to assume you're like most kids moving out on their own for the first time. Money is usually tight and you probably have a busy social calendar so you often want quick meals. So I'm gonna focus on cheap and/or quick.

Definitely get a microwave if you don't already have one and/or the apartment doesn't come with one. There are tons of things you can make with that and quickly. I also suggest those "disposable" plastic containers from Ziplock and others. They aren't really disposable, but they can be great for heating things up. Then wash and reuse them.

Also get a skillet, a pizza stone (or a pizza pan), a rectangular baking pan, measuring cups, measuring spoons, a collander, and a pot.

Pasta is easy to cook and hard to mess up if you have enough water. Heat water till it boils, dump the pasta in for however many minutes it says, stirring occasionally, then drain. You can buy sauces to add pretty cheaply. I used to go for the gourmet ones, but you know, Ragu is cheaper and the kids like it better. Heat the sauce in a microwave dish and mix together, viola! Or eat the pasta plain. Or with parmesan cheese.

If you develop an appreciation for the flavors of the ingredients themselves, you won't have to put as much effort into making additional things to flavor it. I'll often eat pasta plain.

The more ingredients, the more complicated it gets and the more time it takes to prepare. Especially when it calls for doing things like chopping up 3-4 different kinds of vegetables. Crack an egg or pour in some milk no big deal. But chopping up things, that takes time. I don't do things with a lot of items often. If you love cooking and better results, by all means do, but most of the time, I'd rather get that chore of cooking out of the way quickly. Leftovers you can heat and eat are another way to be quick about it. When you cook, cook more than a meal or two and have leftovers for later.

When you go out for a pizza with a friend and a medium will do, get the large for probably only a buck more and you'll have leftovers for later.

If you look on the internet, a lot of times, people will have recipies for some dish that probably tastes great, but the list of ingredients are so long. And chances are you don't have many of them unless you become an ingredient collector. Which takes a lot of space and can get expensive. You also have to worry about spoilage which means you're losing your investment. Most of the time you buy a big container of something and only need a small bit. Say a tablespoon. But unless you're going to keep making that recipie, you don't have anything else to use it on. Eventually you end up tossing it. So I'd try to keep ingredients to things that'll either last a long time or that you have plans to re-use soon. Like if I'm making burgers with lettuce, tomatoes and onions, maybe I can also plan a taco night and use the ingredients again before they go bad.

But do experiment with different ingredients from time to time. At least you'll get to learn your supermarket and where to find odd ingredients for when you get to be a better cook. And you'll get experience with that ingredient.

Also once you get more familiar with ingredients you'll find you don't always have to follow recipies to the letter. Sometimes you can leave things out, use less of them if you're short on the amount required. Or sometimes you can substitute with something else. Like minced garlic instead of minced onions. Or a can of tuna instead of a can of chicken.

There are plenty of ready-made things you can use to either help you prepare faster (Hamburger or Tuna Helper, for instance) or frozen items that you just cook and eat. But those frozen meals can get pricey. Often all of the pre-made things are also high on sodium, so watch that.

As for cost..., first off, remember that many of the ingredients you might buy might have a store-brand that in the big picture works just as well as some higher priced brand. At least for me it does. Try it and see. For instance, my son loves mac & cheese. Of course Kraft has a few different varieties. We also tried the Walmart brand which is cheaper and he likes better than Kraft. Most stores have stickers that show things like price per ounce. With things coming in different sized packages at different prices, it's not always easy to see what's cheapest. But when they have price per ounce, you can compare prices on an ounce to ounce basis and see what's cheapest. And also note that sometimes buying the bigger or bulk size isn't always cheaper. Sometimes sales on the smaller portions are cheaper. So stock up. And also stock up when you find a good deal on things that'll last.

Ramen. That stuff is very cheap. But like somebody said, lots of sodium. Develop a taste for the noodles themselves and use less and less of the flavor packet. I must have a few dozen spare packets because one packet lasts 2-3 packages. I saw at the store that the ones in the cup now come with a lower salt version.

Chicken is cheap. Again, compare prices at a per-ounce level because different cuts can vary. I buy packages of 4 leg quarters for about $4 and cook them all up at once. The leftovers last me a few days.

Popcorn is very cheap. It's corn so it's somewhat healthy for you if you don't start adding things like butter and salt or other seasonings.

Totino's Pizzas. Walmart sells them for about $1.30 and it's about an 8 or 9 inch pizza. I prefer a different set of toppings so I sometimes get a jar of mushrooms and cut up some onions to add. Sometimes I sprinkle a little more mozeralla on. And for about $1.50-$2, you have a pizza larger and cheaper than you could get at a Sbarro at the mall.

Little Ceasars. Around here, it's $5 for a large with 1 or no toppings. Not the cheapest, but not bad either. Buy a couple and they'll last you for several days with a pizza meal here and there.

Vegetables are usually very cheap as well. Some, to me, taste great by themselves. Others I would never just eat. Lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, I could eat as is. And of course most friuts can be eaten easily with little or no type of preperation.

Cheap is not always healthy so be sure to supplement with vitamins.

I also drink a lot of water. It's better for you than soft drinks. If you want, drink the tap water. Or get a filter for it and drink it. Bottled water is also a lot more reasonably priced these days. In bulk, a 500ml (about 16 oz) bottle costs about 15 cents each. Bulk bottled water is about 1 cent/ounce.

• James Brown
    James Brown

When I moved out on my own at 19 I ate a lot of McDonalds cheseburgers, fish sandwiches and french fries.

Im still alive at 60 and I'm not fat. I seldom eat McDonalds at this time in my life.

Food I made in my apartment, chicken pot pie, chipped beef on toast. Steak. Balony and mayonase sandwich,

Salami sandwich. I would go to a restarant and get roast beef and mashed potatoes on white bread or turkey and mashed

potatoes on white bread. I didnt like to keep food in my apartment because my room mate would eat it all and leave me nothing.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

jws: You can eat healthy or cheap.

Gotta' disagree with you on this one. Fresh fruits and vegetables are much cheaper than buying processed food, both in the short AND the long run.

jws: Pasta is easy to cook and hard to mess up if you have enough water. Heat water till it boils, dump the pasta in for however many minutes it says, stirring occasionally, then drain.

I'm with you here. Don't forget to add salt to the water, it should be as salty as the ocean. Pasta sauce in a jar is relatively cheap, homemade marinara is cheaper and not hard to make.

(Do you know how much 1 tomato, 1/2 onion, 1 clove of garlic, a little basil from your garden, a pinch of salt and some pepper cost? Probably about 50 cents!)

Either way, rather than heating the sauce in the microwave an easy way to get it hot is to put it in the pan after you drain the pasta. Heat it on the stove top for a minute or two and then throw the hot pasta back into the sauce. Top with freshly grated parmesan and you're golden!

00DAD

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If you like rice, GET A RICE COOKER !

You can do so much with rice as a base for your meals. A small (3-4 cup) rice cooker will make enough for 1-4 people easily. You can't mess up rice with a rice cooker.

I tend to personally disagree with some of the comments on pre-packaged and bulk foods mentioned in this thread. If you are only cooking for 1 or 2 people, DO NOT buy in bulk. You will be much happier with your food if you just stop at your local store and buy fresh what you need for the next day or two.

Cooking can be VERY healthy and easy if you keep it simple. If it were me, I would buy:

1). Rice Cooker (a cheaper one for about $20 is fine)

2). Basic Cooking Pans (a basic set of 4-6 pots and pans available at WalMart or other discount stores for about $25-$35)

3). Basic Cooking Utensils (plastics spatula, wooden stirring spoon, plastic measuring cup set)

4). Knives, forks and spoons set (about $10-$15 for a service for 4)

5). Knives (a cheap set in a butcher block can be had for about $15 in discount stores)

6). Basic Dinner Plates and Cups set (the plastic or stoneware ones are the cheapest).

7). Plastic cutting board (the bigger the better, about $10-$15)

8). Spices including:

a. Salt - Get both plain table salt and a box of Kosher salt

b. Pepper - Get a pepper grinder or buy pepper that comes with a pepper grinder. Grinding it fresh is 100 times better than pre-ground stuff

c. Dried Spices - Oregano, thyme, parsley, cilantro at the minimum.

d. Multi-purpose Seasoning - A jar of Creole Seasoning (I like Zatarans), Adobo and Sazon Completo can be used on virtually anything

9). Extra Virgin Olive Oil - It costs more than other oils, but even the cheaper brands of Extra Virgin Olive Oil are better than other oils.

10. Cooking Oil - I preper canola but any vegatable oil will work

11). Butter and margarine - Personally, a tub of "I Can't Believe it's not Butter" or something similar works fine for cooking.

12.) Vinegar - Wine vinegar is fine for all purposes. Also get a small bottle of balsamic for salads.

13). Steaming basket - They fit right inside a cooking pot. Much better than boiling things.

14). Clean-up things including a plastic sponge and dishwashing liquid.

You can get everything above at a discount store such as WalMart for around $100 or so. It is a bit of an investment up front, but it will pay for itself the first month you cook for yourself.

Recipes:

- You need do nothing more than buy a small package of chicken breasts, a bag of rice (long grain) and some vegetables (brocolli, squash, etc).

- Season the chicken with some of the spices above and let sit for a little while (30 minutes). Start with a little then add more as you get practice.

- Cook the rice according to the directions in the rice cooker. Hint: Add a chicken boullion cube and teaspoon of oil instead of salt for better rice flavor.

- Heat the frying pan to medium high. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and coat the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken breasts. They will quickly sear if the pan is hot. After a minutes or two, turn them over and do the same thing to the other side.

- Then turn down the heat to medium/low and let them cook for about 10 minutes. When you cut into the meat, it should not be pink when done.

- While the chicken is cooking, add about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of a pot and insert the steamer. Turn it on high until it boils and add whatever cut-up vegetables you have. Cover, turn down the heat to medium and steam them. Note: Brocolli and cauliflower steam in about 4 minutes, squash in about 7 minutes, string beans about 10-12 minutes. Especially with the brocolli and cauliflower DO NOT OVERCOOK since they can be eaten raw. You want everything crispy!

- When the vegetables are done, I carefully take them out of the steamer basket, pour out the remaining water, put a little bit of butter or margarine in the pot and then return the vegetables to the pot as the butter or margarine is melting. Add a little salt and pepper and you are good to go.

- Serve the chicken with the vegetables and rice and you have a great tasting meal at a fraction of the price of going to a restaurant.

The same concept works great with pork chops. If using shrimp or other seafood, DO NOT OVERCOOK. Depending on the size, shrimp will cook in 3-5 minutes. Remember, it is better to undercook then overcook. If undercooked, you can always return it to the pan for a few more minutes, if food is overcooked there is not much you can do.

Those are the basics to get started. I hope this helps.

Rub a Dub

• Emery
    Emery

Hot pockets, Taco Bell, Spicy Ramen.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Ok, so you've now gotten TONS of great advice to get you started. RubADub's suggestions for basic kitchen supplies is awesome!

Make sure you get a decent Chef's Knife and learn how to use it and how to keep it sharp. A good one is a little expensive, but definitely worth it. You'll thank me later ... many times!

Just my preference, but I think a wood cutting board it superior to plastic. You have to be more careful keeping it clean (always a good idea) but a properly cared for wood cutting board actually is LESS likely to harbor listeria and/or salmonella bacteria than plastic 1 and it won't dull your knives as quickly. But you'll sharpen your Chef's knife every time you use it anyways so that shouldn't be a problem.

USDA: Cutting Boards and Food Safety

Or, you could always just put Domino's on your speed dialer ...

What's for dinner?

1 - According to one scientific study in 1993 - WOOD WINS, PLASTIC TRASHED FOR CUTTING MEAT, Science News, February 6, 1993, Vol. 143 Issue 6, p84

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Make sure you get a decent Chef's Knife and learn how to use it and how to keep it sharp. A good one is a little expensive, but definitely worth it. You'll thank me later ... many times!
    Just my preference, but I think a wood cutting board it superior to plastic. You have to be more careful keeping it clean (always a good idea) but a properly cared for wood cutting board actually is LESS likely to harbor listeria and/or salmonella bacteria than plastic 1 and it won't dull your knives as quickly.

00DAD ...

Yes, there is no doubt a good kitchen knife is essential. I still have older Chicago Cutlery knives from about 20 years ago (now they are a lower priced brand than they used to be) that we use every day. There is nothing better than preparing food with a strong, sharp, professional quality knife!

Regarding the wood vs. plastic on cutting boards, I was not aware that wood is better. I know in the past, some states required plastic in restaurants due to the bacteria hiding in wood but now the wood, expeciall bamboo, seems like a great choice.

I just forgot to add to the list I made above that you also need a potholder/oven mitt. If you are pulling hot, steamed food out of a pot you need something to protect your hand !!! Steam is hot !!!

Also, a colandar (plastic will work) is needed to drain pasta and for rincing salads. Larger is better than those little ones I see in stores.

I just want to mention that if you had a home and were going to cook on a regular basis, stainless steel cooking tools are typically superior and in many cases will last as long as you will. However, my suggestions on plastics is simply for lower cost and for getting someone started cooking on their own.

Rub a Dub

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Rub a Dub,

I'm aware that most/many states require plastic cutting boards and not wood in restaurants and commercial kitchens. (My wife works in a restaurant and uses plastic cutting boards at home, I of course prefer wood).

But keep in mind that the workload of a restaurant is different than in the average household kitchen. At home your cutting board usually has at least several hours or over night to dry off between uses. Not so in a commercial kitchen.

Ultimately it think it comes down to personal preference: Paper or plastic, cloth vs. disposable, Mac vs PC, Republican or Democrat ...

Mangia,

00DAD

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

00DAD ...

For what it's worth, we have bamboo cutting boards at home and yes, we like them much better.

And another personal preference, I prefer Mrs Rub a Dub as a brunette over a blonde.

So goes life. LOL

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit