What did you eat when you moved out if you didn't know how to cook?

by Aware! 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Aware!
    Aware!

I'm male, in my early twenties, and I don't know how to cook. If one day I blow my cover I will have to move out and fend for myself. My question is what frozen meals or quick fix meals do you recommend for a single guy? I'll probably be on a tight budget because I'm a student. If I got a roommate he would probably in the same boat and not know how to cook. I've been looking at websites and videos but they're overwhelming. Any suggestions on how to store the food properly to make it last longer? Just wanted to know what my fellow 'postates recommend.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Well, you can always eat the ramen diet. Not healthy but is economical. I recommend things like putting leftover chicken and an egg or two, some chopped onions cooked with ramen boosts the nutritional value greatly without adding alot of cost.

Cheap foods like eggs, beans, rice are decent sources of macronutrients that can be eaten on a budget.

• Aware!
    Aware!

Thanks, Baltar447. I think I'll have to take multi-vitamin supplements every day then. The ramen diet has too much sodium and that's why I'm worried. I would ask my mom to teach me but I've never liked her cooking. I eat out a lot and it's expensive, but since I live at home it doesn't hurt my pocket much.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

ramen, tuna, hungry man. untill i got a foreman grill. brother invest in a george foreman grill. chicken, bacon, steak, eggs, hash browns, burgers, hotdogs, all without so much fat. id splurge on a med-large version. it is so versitile and efficient. it takes a little expeimenting. nothing is as simple as the tv shows it. example. a nice t bone... let it cook fr 10 mins. and unplug it and let is slow cook the inside and not char the outside. repeat until you get it right.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Here's a good suggestion, don't use the whole flavor packet. In fact you can buy some seasonings and substitute.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When my sister and I were in college we would go to Costco and load up on stuff like frozen chicken breasts, broccoli, potatoes, and a lot of popcorn (my sister was a popcorn freak). My fav thing to do was steam the broccoli, nuke the potato, and pan fry the chicken breast (salt and peppered first and cooked in little bit of butter). Best advice: keep it simple.

• Aware!
    Aware!

A George Foreman Grill? Why didn't I think about that? Doh! Well now I have my protein intake problem solved. I guess it's not that bad after all. Baltar447, good idea on not using the whole flavor packet. I've been trying to convince my mom into letting me move out to be closer to school and she keeps telling me that I wouldn't make it. I already learned how to iron and I wash my own clothes by myself, and I just solved my eating dilemma. What else does she think I need??

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

baltar, prison spread? lol. man my old roomie could do some amazing things with ramen, a can of soup, and stale corn chips.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Yes, broccoli is a good cheap source of veggies.

• Aware!
    Aware!

we would go to Costco and load up on stuff like frozen chicken breasts, broccoli, potatoes, and a lot of popcorn

mrsjones5- Another good idea!! I'm not fond of popcorn, but buying frozen chicken breasts is a good idea, especially with my new Foreman grill.

Steamed broccoli would take care of my vegetable needs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit