What did you eat when you moved out if you didn't know how to cook?

by Aware! 85 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Lol @ Open mind/baby food.

I was on my own at 16. I had a cook job in the day (one free meal with that), and a cart girl at a bingo hall 2/3 nights a week (one meal with that as well). In between, my two staples were a)smartfood popcorn, and b) canned chili.

Those were my two favorite things and there was no one who could tell me that I should eat my veggies. I was sixteen, whaddaya expect ;)

Mostly it was canned or jarred food. I never bought fresh anything. Not until much much later.

So don't follow my example!

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL tec...that sounds a lot like me leaving home at 15

The hare Krishnas used to do $1 dinners on Sunday evenings... I enjoyed jumping for my dinner...Hee hee hee

• jam
    jam

I agree with Skeeter, "Costco Brunch" LOL. The prices

you can,t beat it. When the grandkids come over, Costco

we go. All the hot dogs, pizza, ice cream, chicken salads

and drinks (free refill) they can hold.

• talesin
    talesin

I write a recipe column for a newsletter for people living with mental illness, who are living on their own for the first time ....

You want to impress and have a great meal? Here's an easy one ..

Sweet'n'Sour Spare Ribs

Pork is one of the more reasonable cuts of meat, and summertime is when ribs are on sale. This is such an easy recipe to make.. It serves 2/3 meals, but can easily be doubled or tripled if you want to make a larger batch for freezing, or maybe a party. It is best prepared the day before, so that the sauce thickens a bit overnight, so I usually make it in the cool evening. Then, on a hot summer day, just heat and serve. 1 lb. pork ribs (or riblets) 2 c. water 1/2 c. brown sugar 1/4 c. vinegar 1/4 c ketchup 1 T soya sauce Cut the rack of ribs into serving-size portions (one or two ribs per portion), and trim off visible fat. Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to the boil, lower heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bones. This is great served with rice.
  • tec
    tec

You and I have a lot of funny life similarities, Still. On our own early, catholic high schools, never joined the witnesses (I think that I have that right about you, yes? Just studied?)

I suppose on a forum this size, there are lots of people with even greater similariites, though,lol.

Peace,

tammy

• poppers
    poppers

I second the recommendation on getting a crock pot - food preparation is simple and almost foolproof. A hot air cooker is also good.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Cooking is easy. I recommend you learn how to cook well. I go further and recommend you learn to cook fantastically. Cuisine is the only art that nourishes.

We live in a day and age where the Food Network is almost as free as the air we breathe. Whole cookbooks are just a google away....free. You can get the jist of just about any great style of cuisine for nothing. The local grocery store has a level of quality and especially variety that were unheard of just 50 years ago. This is 2012, and the world is your oyster, and everything else you can eat. Go out and conquer.

You are not educated, or ready for life, if you are not able to prepare a sumptuous feast, or at the very least, possess the sophistication of knowing what constitutes said feast.

Plus, especially in your age group, you will derive serious social benefits from impressing your friends with your culinary prowess.

Furthermore, as a bachelor just gone out in the world, you will find that good cooking goes down awesome with the female half of the species. I said cooking is the only art that nourishes the body....it is situated just next to sex in the list of useful skills you can master. Learn to cook. You will get serious mileage out of this. I know chefs, and they get crazy laid. That's an incentive.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Buy No Salt Xochitl Chips at Publix and add Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese on them, then microwave them for 45 seconds. I love them.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Yeah...just studied...*cringe* studied! LOL

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Aware, you could use coupons. I am not a coupon user. I use coupons very rarely. Google Extreme Couponing if you are willing to try couponing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit