What did you eat when you moved out if you didn't know how to cook?

by Aware! 85 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

I have a bamboo cutting board. I really like it. I always had wooden boards before..but I'm sold on bamboo now. Not keen on plastic.

And I agree 00DAD...a good knife is a must.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Buy a good cookbook. I don't mean one that's loaded only with recipes, but one that actually teaches the art of cooking and techniques. You won't regret it...

...until you're as fat as me.

W

• talesin
    talesin

Just another quick suggestion ... a George Foreman grill only costs $15.00.

You can cook a couple of pork chops or chicken thighs in a few minutes, and the clean-up is so quick! It's good for a lot of other things, too, like sausages, and grilling half-sandwiches.

:)

Fanny Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cook Book is one of the best, and like Rebel's suggestion, shows you all the basics about cuts of meat, veggies, etc., even how to make tea! It was my first cookbook, and has been around since the 19th century (updated, of course).

Buy yourself a Henckel's knife, and you will have it for LIFE. TRUE!

• still thinking
    still thinking

What's the George Foreman grill like for cooking steak tal?

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Find yourself a woman who cooks. Mine is making pork loins as we speak. (j/k... just excited about pork loins).

Seriously, though, I've been eating spaghetti is a good bet (if it hasn't been mentioned). You may want to get yourself a good cook book designed for absolute beginners. With proper directions and definitions of EXACTLY what some cooking terms mean (simmer? never knew what it meant until I found an exact, easy to follow definition in my cookbook), it's not that hard to teach yourself some basic meals, or even more complex ones if you're feeling adventurous. I've made hamburgers, home-made macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, twice-baked potatoes... just to name a few, and with absolutely no cooking experience.

BUT BE WARY OF COOKING WITH OIL AND KNOW HOW TO PUT OUT A FIRE IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT THAT ONE STARTS. WATER DOES NOT WORK. Had some bad experience with that...

• Scully
    Scully

Depending on where you live, you might be able to hook up with some inexpensive cooking classes.

I go to one regularly at my local grocery store that costs me $10 to register. It's taught by a chef, and he shows us how to pick ingredients, gives us a new recipe, and shows the preparation - takes place over a lunch hour. At the end of the class, you get to try the dishes that he made, and they give us each a $10 gift card to use in the store. A free lunch, basically, and some ideas to make a nutritious meal in less than an hour. You could make an entire batch and freeze extra servings to have another time.

• Aware!
    Aware!

LOL! Thanks for making me laugh, Billy.

I'm still processing all this info, and I'm amazed at all of your detailed postings. Thanks again for taking the time and sharing your recipes and advice.

I have looked into the cookbooks mentioned and if I get a good financial aid package this year, I might order some of them with my textbooks on Amazon.com. So far they're on my wish list.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Aware, you don't even need to buy cookbooks… most of the ones recommended here can be found at your local public library free of charge.

Check out the magazine section, too. Women's and "health" magazines are loaded with articles on food/recipes and how to save money in the kitchen.

• talesin
    talesin

still - sry, I don't eat steak, so haven't tried .. but I think it would be great done on the foreman, especially a strip loin.

tal

• still thinking
    still thinking

It doesn't kinda steam the food at all does it tal?

My partner loves steak...and would be pissed if he got steamed steak...LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit