Were You Ever Comfortable Going From House To House?

by minimus 71 Replies latest jw friends

• finally awake
    finally awake

NO NO NO a thousand times NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hated field service and I hated talking to people who answered the door

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I secretly wished there was no answer at most doors.

I was comfortable in the a.c. of the car or at the coffee/soda break.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I hated it.Like really hated it. if I prayed for anything it was that no one would be home. I did it because I had to and I was never good at it.

What I dreaded most were those questions that we knew the answer would make them close the door.

• Are you a Jehovah's?
    • Are you trying to convert me?
    • Do you really believe God will destroy everybody on the earth except Jehovah's?

Of course we were there to try to convert them. We were taught every week what to say to do exactly that. Wasn't that the whole point? Talk to them. Get them to study. Get them to meetings. Get them to change their lives and get baptized.

But we had to explain the name and that we were Witnesses. We had to lie and say that we didn't know what God would do but we really believed they were gonners if they didn't join up. and of course we weren't there to convert them. Only they could do that. What a crock.

NOW I would love to go back to those doors and tell them I am sorry and that it is a cult. That is a kind of witnessing I think I would love.

• umadevi
    umadevi

Being an introvert, I have never been comfortable going from house to house.

• varian
    varian

what does ttatt stand for? and what is this kool aid thing about?

(i´m from a non english country)

thank you....

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

varian - TTATT stands for "the truth about the truth".

The kool aid I believe is a reference to Jim Jones cult - a poisonous drink that people ingested with confidence in their leader without realizing it would kill them. Sound familiar?

The Watchtower expects all to accept their words, a.k.a. "kool-aid", without question, even if it brings harm to you or your family.

CoC

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

As far as the ministry, I never really liked it. I am not a born in, but close enough to feel like one.

I regular pioneered 3 different times, all the while believing that the more I involved myself in the ministry, the more I would grow to love it. I even tried to convince others of that yet never really believed it. I realize now I was just parroting what I heard from the WTBTS because that never happened. My love for it never grew. I always felt like a bother.

I also, while I don't mind dressing up for other occasions, hated doing it for service. I hated, both as a kid and and as an adult, leaving my house and having my neighbors see me dressed up on a Saturday morning. It drew undue attention to me and I couldn't stand when I was asked why I was dressed up.

It was hard to stop going out in the ministry though because I feared what others in the hall would think. But thankfully, I grew a pair and haven't looked back in just about a year already.

Damn how I love my weekends! Why the hillbilly did I wait so long to take them back for myself?

CoC

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Varian-ttatt is The Truth about The Truth. And the Kool-aid refers to a drink that cult leader Rev. Jim Jones laced with cyanide and had his members commit a mass-suicide in the late 1970's in Guyana.

I'm only an extrovert with people I feel comfortable with. So, unlike LWT who looked forward to a surprise behind every door, I hated surprises!!!

And there was always someone who would over-ring peoples bells. It was so inconsiderate.

(I always said that if any JW came and rang my bell, I would have never opened the door.) (I met a JW at work)

But I did enjoy informal witnessing. No surprises there!!! I could see who I was gonna speak to.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It felt totally unnatural. Going against nature--spending your time going to doors, knocking on them, discussing religion, expecting to place littera-trash, having the grave responsibility because if you didn't return on time no matter what, you would be held responsible for every sin they later committed. It never felt spiritual, and once the initial novelty wore off, I was hoping more for time to be wasted waiting, fogging up windows in the rain, and running stupid errands. I actually felt more spiritually upbuilt by watching it rain out while in the car, and fogging up all the windows so they would have to waste time defogging them, than while at the doors.

Seems they have their spirituality backwards. When you are doing something spiritually upbuilding, you should feel natural about it. Putting up a Christmas tree, something the witlesses are blatantly against, used to feel so natural that it was the highlight of the year when it went up. Christmas, Jesus or no Jesus, was always a fun time and, whether or not I recognized it, spiritually upbuilding. Going from door to door was far less exciting--I don't remember anyone coming into the group actually eager to start. If field circus actually was spiritually good, I would expect the majority of people to show up an hour early eager to start, the groups to be arranged in less than 15 minutes, and for everyone to be out in the territory knocking on the doors without wasting any time. And they would be grumbling when it was time to go in, much as I used to hate it when the Christmas tree had to come down.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Never liked it.

Still hate it.

I've not been on the doors for almost 8 weeks now and it's great. I will have to go back out soon as I cannot keep using RBC work as the excuse but am planing on not using any literature.

Funny how my report keeps bubbling around the cong average though... That family study and informal witnessing sure adds up!

If it wasn't for the fact it ain't so simple for me as simply stopping I'd feel a super hypocrite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit