Were You Ever Comfortable Going From House To House?

by minimus 71 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The Hasidics are the craziest fanatics. I see them in NYC all the time. Many of them HATE Gentiles.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

I think they are an easy scapegoat. They don’t seem to mean any harm to others.

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

I was born in and did field service because, well, that's what you were expected to do. I never felt comfortable with it, even though I was a regular pioneer for a year.

I did look forward to early morning streetwork coffee and donuts with my pioneer partner, though

• unshackled
    unshackled

Hated every single second of it. I'd rather attempt breastfeeding a mako shark while washing Glenn Beck's feet than do field service again.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Never comfortable with it that's why I never went.

Couldn't find in the Bible where it specifically states that handing out Watchtower and Awake! magazines would ensure my eternal salvation. I never felt I had the right to try to force religion down peoples' throats. Of course, I also had many of my own doubts about this group which is part of why I could never do the serve-us thing. I bided my time as a teen. Got busy with school, my farm chores, and jobs after school so I had no time for this "happifying horse shiite".

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I hated it with a passion.

We didn't do door to door till I was about 15, my parents were not spiritually strong.

An elder took an interest in me and trained me. I never enjoyed the "life saving work", I was always afraid of knocking on my classmate's door.

I actually did once but he wasn't in.

Towards the end, I pretended to ring the door bell or knock softly.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I suppose I was one of those uncommon Witnesses who not only liked field service, but was quite good at it. I loved talking to people at their doors and usually had no trouble engaging them in conversations, conversations that quite often were pleasant, enjoyable and stimulating. I was very adaptable and flexible, so I was able to talk to householders on topics that interested them rather than go to their doors with a pre-determined presentation.

Nor did the locale matter. Whether I was talking to a farmer in rural Tuscaloosa County in Alabama, a university professor in Boulder, Colorado, a small town resident in Missouri or a homeowner in Los Angeles, I was able to take on the local color, so to speak, and have interesting give-and-take sessions with people.

For me, the secret was being completely convinced that I was presenting life-saving information to people, actually regarding them as a friend and neighbor, and really listening to them and inviting them to freely express themselves. My experience was that many people welcomed my approach. I wasn’t interested in placing literature or even starting studies as much as I was in hearing what other people had to say and engaging them. So both as a publisher and a pioneer, I found the field service activity one of the things I liked most about being a Witness.

Quendi

• runesandmen
    runesandmen

I hated it, I am kind of an introvert, so having to go up and knock on peoples doors was a lot for me.

When I pioneered I would volunteer for the rual teritory just so I didnt have to talk to as many people.

I never understood phone witnessing either, it always bothered me.

• Glander
    Glander

As a born in, some of my earliest memories is accompanying an adult with a fist full of invitations to that Sundays talk. Also, standing on a busy sidewalk wearing a little canvas bag advertising the Watchtower and Awake! with my grandpa. It was something to do.

But as I grew into an adult I hated door to door work and had to force myself to put in a few hours a month. When I was made an elder it became a grind and i learned every trick in the book to waste a couple of hours while taking the fewest doors. (please, don't be home...) That's another thread.

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

Never liked it at all. I'm an introvert and the worst thing you can do is force me to talk to people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit