The best tactic Anonymous could use against the Society is to make them look noble and humble

by JonathanH 56 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

I was thinking about what would be the most damaging thing anonymous could do on an organizational level by hacking the society. One poster suggested that they should send out e-mails to all the elders in their elder database pretending to be the society. I think that combined with hacking their website would be the best thing they could do. But rather than sending out anything wierd and defaming, they should go the opposite route and do what the society would never do but should. Be humble.

They should send out e-mails and put up a public message on the website pretending to be the society. They should apologize for all the pain and suffering they have caused to abuse victims with their policies that were short sighted and not in the spirit of christian love. Tell everyone that "we had lost our way and acted as pharisees in Jesus day, and can only hope to be forgiven by the members of the congregations and by God." Then institute a new zero tolerance policy. If anyone makes any claim of child abuse do not call the WT legal department, but go straight to the secular authorities as soon as you hear of any wrong doing. Admit that the elder body is not qualified to deal with such matters, nor is the WT headquarters, but trained proffesionals exist that can and will get to the bottom of any claimsand protect the children in question. The health and wellbeing of any child is more important than any possible discomfort the congregation may experience as a result of a police investigation. Make the letter truly humble and noble.

What could the Society possibly do in response? Take it all back? Say "Just kidding, some guys hacked us. For legal reasons we do not apologize to anyone for any percieved wrong doing on the part of the congregations and that has nothing to do with us anyway. Seriously, call legal right away if somebody says something about abuse. Don't talk to the authorities, you have the right of clergy to say nothing." It would look absolutely terrible if they took it all back and told all the elders to disregard the previous e-mail and then re-iterate a very callous policy. The contrast between the two would be obvious and apparent. This is what they could have said, but they didn't. Here is what the society really thinks.

Or, even better, they don't do anything. They just go on pretending that they totally said those things because they realize how damaging it would be to publicly retract that statement. It would permanently change their policy and possibly save countless children from the shame of being further victimized by the organization itself and get them the help they actually need.

If anybody knows how to contact the people at "ananymous" that are engaged in dealing with the JW side of their anti-pedophile campaign, show them this message or just let me know and I will try to contact them. Could you imagine if they got the e-mailing list for elders around the country and actually had thousands of them read a real human message from the society?

• DT
    DT

Here is a thread that discusses strategy against the Watchtower.

http://anonnews.org/press/item/1656/comments/#c-40937

I would suggest consolidating ideas first into something that can be used easily, before posting them. One concern I have is that Anonymous will want credit for this, especially if they hack any of the official sites. Your idea might be more effective, but they will probably want to do something that more dramatically proclaims the success of Anonymous.

Your idea about emails might be more likely, especially if you can produce some samples that can be copied and pasted.

You could think about producing an html web page that would contain your idea but have a message from Anonymous after you scroll down. It could say something like, "Just joking. We are Anonymous and we hacked your site because you have consistently refused to protect children from pedophiles. We will not forgive, we will not forget, expect us!"

If you post a file that can be uploaded after the site is hacked, it's possible that the person who does it will choose to use it.

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

I think that is an excellent idea.

• life is to short
    life is to short

If it could happen I think this would be a good idea. Like you said how could they take it all back once it got out that they had been hacked into. time will tell but I hope that the list gets out.

LITS

• Kudra
    Kudra

Ah, good idea.

That is the tactic that the Yes Men take.

i.e. posting an "apology" from Dow Chemical about the Bhopal chemical spill disaster and claiming they were sorry and would take care of the victims. Then the REAL Dow Chemical had to step up and say, "oh, uh that wasn't us, we are the real Dow chemical and um, we are NOT taking responsibility for our actions".

It would be a great approach.

The Yes Men have done this in a number of scenarios and I think it works beautifully. Check them out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yes_Men

http://theyesmen.org/

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Bloody brilliant idea Jonathan H, may it get legs and run like Forrest Gump.

• cofty
    cofty

I love it. Even better if they can change access passwords to stop the borg from editing the website for as long as possible

• cedars
    cedars

Great idea.

Show them what they SHOULD be doing.

Cedars

• irondork
    irondork

That's just genius.

There would be no way to regain their righteous highground after something like that.

I'm sure after they read this thread they will put a team of lawyers and writers to the task of figuring out the best way to take candy away from a baby in such a way that it will make sense to the glazed over eyes of Brother and Sister Rank & File.

• cedars
    cedars

Dear Brothers

We hope this email finds you in good health. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your hard work in caring for Christ's flock. In these difficult times that are so hard to deal with, you are to be commended for exerting yourselves vigorously and giving selflessly in the interests of others. We commend you for your excellent example in this regard.

We have lately given much prayerful thought to the many heartfelt letters that we have received at World Headquarters from scores of brothers around the world who ask about various beliefs and organizational policies of Jehovah's Witnesses. This has led us to re-examine certain core beliefs from a more objective and scriptural standpoint, and we have reached the conclusion that many of our teachings require urgent revision. In particular, the practice of shunning relatives goes against the principles of Christ-like love, and our rigid application of the "two witness" rule has led to many innocent children being exposed to child molesters who escape justice simply by denying any wrongdoing. We also deeply regret the many brothers who have lost their lives through a mistaken and over-zealous application of Paul's admonition regarding blood. Our hearts go out to all of you who have suffered personally in this regard.

As a result of our findings, our literature will soon begin to reflect a more honest and merciful application of scriptural teachings, and we wanted to give you brothers advance notice of this. Doubtless these changes will present many challenges, and our brothers will be perplexed and confused. We are confident that you fine brothers will make good use of your experience and training in helping the congregations to come to terms with our organizational errors, and continue undaunted with the preaching work without being unduly stumbled.

Finally, we wanted to pass on our most sincere apologies on behalf of all those who have served on the Governing Body, both past and present. We have allowed ourselves to become so pre-occupied with policies and organizational matters that we have overlooked the "weightier matters of the law". (Matt. 23:23) In doing so, we have become just like the Pharisees that Jesus, our Lord and master, condemned. Even worse, by insisting that all scriptural and prophetic interpretations, however flawed, are guided by God's Spirit, we have gone so far as to grieve the Holy Spirit of the God of Truth. (Eph 4:30; Psalm 31:5) This, more than anything, makes us feel wholly unworthy and deeply ashamed on behalf of both ourselves and our forebears. Like David, we say: "For my transgressions I myself know, and my sin is in front of me constantly." We feel that the current financial problems being experienced by our organization may well be evidence of God's disapproval. We therefore pray that the God of mercy will show us favor, and cleanse us of our sins. (Psalm 51:2,3)

May Jehovah show us mercy, and give strength to you dear brothers for the important work that lies ahead in the coming months.

Your brothers,

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit