The Good Food Thread

by MrsCedars 64 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Mrs.Cedars..

Can you tell us more about the beer of your choice?

Of course!..It`s wet..Best served cold..

And..

It`s a Problem solver..Have a Problem Drink a Beer!..

All disputes in Canada are solved with Beer..

If someone trys to invade our country we give them a Beer..

After 6 Beer they wonder why they`re here..

That`s when we give them directions to get back home..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

Thanks for the background. I heard rumours you are keen on beer fairies, but maybe in your old age those are less important to you nowadays?

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

This is the best BBQ pork tenderloin I've ever had, I'm making it again tonight. This is one of Ina Garten's recipies. It's pretty easy to make, and It goes great with Beer or perfect with a glass of Oregon Pinot Nior, cheers!

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

That looks delicious!!! Thank you tootired2care

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

You're welcome, I'm just glad I have something to contribute to such an important thread. Good food = good life.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Mrs. Cedars - Your cedar plank Salmon looks delicious. I'll have to try that some day.

It reminds me to some degree of a recipe that my father taught me that has some similarities. Some of you longtime US readers (especially from the South) may recognize this.

My father was born in 1915, so as a teenager he was forced to live right through the very worst of the Great Depression. His folks were not quite Oklahoma "dirt farmers" - not because they were better off than most people in Oklahoma - but because they didn't even own dirt.

Oklahoma still had a lot of of Native Americans mixed among the poor whites in many small towns. The Depression forced everyone to share and try to help out in any way they could. My dad happened to have a young American Indian friend that played with him on the high school football team. One day my father happened to remark that his parents didn't have any food for the upcoming weekend and they were going to have to share a single loaf of bread amongst the 4 of them from Friday until Monday. Dad's Indian friend told him that he should go down and catch some fish at a nearby river.

"But there ain't nothing good in that river," Dad said. "Just some little ol' minnows and some nasty old carp."

"Carp makes a good meal as long as it's prepared right," his friend remarked. "Here's how you do it. Catch yourself a big ol' fat carp. Take it home, but keep it outside. It'll stink up your house real bad if you cook it inside. Dig a hole in your yard, bout three feet deep'll do. Shove some clean river sand on the bottom. Get yourself a nice cedar plank, the wider the better. Set it down on top of the sand and then pile a bunch hot coals around the edges. Put that ol' carp down on the board. Then add a bunch of salt and pepper. Toss in some radishes, celery stalks, pretty much whatever you can lay your hands on. Tomatoes and green peppers are good if you got 'em. Dandelions'll do. Add some more salt and pepper. If you have some cooking oil or some butter, sprinkle it all over. Add some cayenne and some o' your grandma's cooking wine - if she got any. Take a second board and lay it on top over that ol' nasty fish and then pile some hot coals on top of that. Use some tin foil if you got some, but it don't matter. Cover the pit with some dirt and let that old fish cook for about 6 or 7 hours. Longer won't hurt."

My dad asked what he should do next. His friend responded, "After about half a day, dig it up and clean all the ashes and dirt offen those boards. Then get both of them boards out of the pit and brush them off."

"Yeah. But then what about the fish?"

"Throw away the fish and serve the boards for dinner..."

Although this story is certainly nonsense, my dad used to love to tell it right during a fancy fish dinner (trout, bass, or catfish). But the truth is that the Seminole Indians living in Florida and other parts of the south did eat carp and managed to survive pretty well. It is said that they had awful body odor due to the fish oils in their diet, but they were never bothered by mosquitoes and stayed fed during the worst of times. They were also hard to wrestle with. The colonists would die from malaria, yellow fever and starvation because they simply couldn't stomache eating disgustingcarp.

So Mrs. Cedars - see if you can come up with a new recipe for our southern USA friends who have that disgusting fish in practically every lake and stream. I'm sure you can do it. You've got the planks going already...

JV

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Great story, JuanViejo2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

Thank you Juan! I enjoyed reading your story.

I am really fascinated by the history of Native Americans. I love to read about their lifestyle and their heritage. Carp is one of the nastiest fish I have tried. I love all fish but the carp is for an acquired taste. My Dad loves it though, but then again he loves haggis too. I will try out different carp recipes though, and when I find one that is decent I will post it for you. I must say one thing though, the salmon cedar plank recipe was written by Open mind and 00DAD! They deserve credit.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I'm one of those who makes it up as I go along, so I have a hard time putting recipes to paper. But here's an easy one for zucchini. It has made converts of many zucchini-haters I know. It only works with smaller zucchini - sliced rounds should be no larger than about 3 inches diameter. If your zucchini is bigger than that, shred it for zucchini cake instead (I have a recipe for that somewhere, too!)

Slice zucchini into rounds of about 1/2 inch thick

slice mozzarella cheese, enough to cover each zucchini round completely

combine chopped garlic and butter in a frying pan. Lay zucchini rounds evenly to fill pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fry at medium heat. When slightly browned, turn each round over and cook until zucchini is lightly browned on both sides (don't overcook).

when zucchini is almost done, put mozzarella slices on top, turn off heat, and cover the pan. As soon as the cheese is melted, serve.

A variation is to add a slice of tomato under the cheese, or to mix cheddar and mozza cheeses.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have no recipes to offer, but I do have a good food to tell you about. Baba Ghanoush is delicious! It is a dip/spread made out of aubergines (eggplant) and it is amAZING and delicious. I totally can't believe it isn't popular like salsa. Fresh-it is wonderful.Try some.

Yesterday for the first time I had a dish that is served usually for breakfast here- A lot of milk with cooked cracked wheat in it, sweetened. It is served (for those who are rich) with coconut, hazelnuts, raisins. It reminds me oatmeal only soupier and chewier, but still had that warm, mom is taking care of you kind of feeling to it. It is healthy and delicious alternative to regular breakfast cereals and often served as the sweet part of breakfast along with ta'amaiah (falafel to you folks).

Here in the region (I'm currently in Egypt), salad is often served with breakfast. Simple, chopped tomatoes, cucumber, onion and herbs(dill, parsley coriander, whatever you like) with a little squeeze of fresh lemon and some olive oil (if you have any).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit