The Good Food Thread

by MrsCedars 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

In honor of the Cedar's family, I offer up:

CEDAR PLANK SALMON:

The key to this recipe is getting a cedar plank that has not been treated with any chemicals. DO NOT just go get a piece of cedar fence material. I've had several lumber yards tell me they are chemically treated and that you can't tell by looking. Who knows? It might just be a scam so that the cedar plank cooking suppliers can charge exorbitant prices, (and they do).

Anyway, you want a plank big enough to set a salmon fillet on. Typically, 6 inches wide by 18 inches long by 3/8-1/2 inch thick. Soak the plank in water for at least a few hours. Make sure to weigh it down with something to speed the soaking process.

Prepare the fillet however you would for baked salmon. We usually do a little salt and olive oil with lemon slices. (Google "Baked Salmon" and you'll have at least 30 ideas). Lay the fillet on the plank. (If it still has skin on it, put the skin side down on the plank) Set the plank onto a barbecue grill, preferably charcoal, but gas on low heat is OK too. Leave it there for 20-35 minutes. Don't turn it. The bottom of the plank will get charred and give off smoke. Essentially you are baking it and smoking it at the same time.

Remove plank and salmon all together as one piece. Serve.

Bon Appetit'

om

• james_woods
    james_woods

I never measure anything when I cook.

This is how I make Pepper Oysters: Put some Olive Oil in a frying pan - heat it up to medium. Cover a dozen fresh oysters all over with lots of cracked black pepper. Fry them in the frying pan for just a few moments - a minute or so, not long enough to cook them completely. Then, sprinkle them with some chopped cilantro. They are great with white soda crackers.

• james_woods
    james_woods

BTW, Mrs. Cedars - some of the Wibble ladies would like you to post a recipe for fried frogs legs over on the Wibble thread.

They want to welcome you to Wibble.

James

• AnneB
    AnneB

There are cooking boards for this kind of thing.

• Heaven
    Heaven

ooooohhh... Cedar Blank Salmon.... drooling now.

• Wilfried
  • cedars
    cedars

AnneB

"There are cooking boards for this kind of thing."

There are also boards for politics and sport, but it doesn't stop people from devoting entire threads to those subjects on this forum.

Cedars

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

It's a good thing I ate before I looked at this thread...

• Quendi
    Quendi

I love to cook and so will be an enthusiastic reader and sometime contributor to this topic. Welcome, MrsCedars, and thanks.

Quendi

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Open mind, Cedar Plank salmon, how appropriate! Love it!!!

The local Von's and Ralph's sell cedar planks for $5 - 7 for two. I have a variation on OM's recipe. BTW, ONLY use Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon. Never use farmed Atlantic salmon:

Preheat the BBQ to 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit. In the meantime generously coat the salmon with a basting sauce of melted butter, brown sugar and fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Place the soaked cedar plank on the grill for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, flip the cedar plank and immediately place the salmon fillet on it.

Close the grill. Come back in 11 minutes or so depending on the size and thickness of the fillet. I usually cook a 3/4 lb. to 1 lb. fillet. When the internal temp of the salmon is 140 °F or thereabouts you're good!

Serve with a nice rice pilaf or risotto, parmesan roasted asparagus and a nice Pinot Noir. Mrs. 00DAD and I love this!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit