The Good Food Thread

by MrsCedars 64 Replies latest jw friends

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Parmesan Roasted Asparagus

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus (about 30 large)
    • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    • 2 lemons cut in wedges, for serving

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees °F.

If the stalks of the asparagus are thick, peel the bottom 1/2 of each. Lay them in a single layer on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and return to the oven for another minute or so. Serve with lemon wedges.

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/parmesan-roasted-asparagus-recipe/index.html

• talesin
    talesin

Welcome!

What a great idea for a thread. :))

I write a recipe column for a monthly newsletter. The newsletter is for people living with mental health issues, who are new to independent living. The recipes are designed to be tasty and inexpensive. Here's one:

Fish Cakes

500-600 g fresh haddock
    5 medium sized potatoes
    1 egg, lightly beaten OR 1 tbsp. flour (optional)
    1 tbsp butter, melted (optional)

Scrub and slice the potatoes lengthwise for quicker cooking. Place in a pot, with lots of water, and simmer until falling apart when touched with a fork.
    Scoop out the potatoes, and put the haddock filets into the simmering water for about 3 minutes, or until the fish is cooked. Remove from pot.

Place the fish and potatoes in a bowl, and mash together. At this point, some folks may want to add a small, finely-minced onion. It is important to mince the onion, because it takes less time to cook. Now, if desired, add the egg or flour - this will help to 'bind' the other ingredients. The butter is for flavour. Mix. Place the mixture in the fridge to cool for a couple of hours, and it will be easier to handle. Remove from fridge, make individual fish cakes.

Heat 2 tbsp. canola oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet to medium-high, add fish cakes. When the cakes are browned, turn and continue frying until side 2 is browned. Serve with salt and pepper to taste.

*Substitute olive oil for canola, and add a small tab of butter for flavour.
    ** Substitute salt fish --- first, soak it overnite, drain and cover with water. Bring to the boil for about 10 minutes, and it's ready to go!

tal

• Open mind
    Open mind

@ 00Dad: Re: Cedar Plank Salmon, excellent idea to expose one side of the plank to the heat for 3 minutes, then flip the plank and put the salmon on the now-heat-sterilized side of the plank. Not doing that has always made me a little bit leary as far as food safety goes. Although, we've done it for years and never gotten sick, (cedar probably has inherent anti-microbial properties), I think I'll start doing that from here on out.

Thanks,

om

• 00DAD
    00DAD

OM, I got the idea from one of the packs of cedar planks I bought at the store. It seems to help steam the fish too, so you get it cooked three ways:

1. Indirect heat
    2. Smoked from the wood
    3. Steamed released from the wet wood

Whatever, it tastes amazing!!!

• cedars
    cedars

Hi guys! Mrs Cedars informs me that she has now reached her limit for the day, so she's sad that she can't respond to some of the messages/recipes.

I'm sure she'll be back with a vengeance tomorrow.

Keep these excellent recipes coming in food lovers!

Cedars

• minimus
    minimus

I'm still waiting for that lobster pie.

My girlfriend is an excellent cook but she doesn't make chicken pies or meat pies. I don't like flaky crusts. I love the harder ones.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

There are boards dedicated to cooking of course, but I love how broad this forum is. It includes a Social section with various categories that include,

- Jokes and Humor

- Entertainment

- News and World Events

- Physical Activities

- Family and Parenting

- Dating and Relationships

Entertainment includes such things as

- TV

- Movies

- Art

- Literature and Music

A cooking thread fits nicely into Entertainment if you view cooking as an art, which I think it is. It would also work under the Family heading, and could even be included in the Dating and Relationships area....'The way to a man's heart is through his stomach' and all that.

I see that MrsCedars has chosen to post in the the Friends section under the heading of Jehovah'sWitnesses, which is stated as a place to "...meet new friends." Recipies and cooking are a pretty good way to do that.

Thanks for the thread MrsCedars, and once again Welcome to the forum!

• LV101
    LV101

Welcome MrsCedars --- The recipes are a nice touch and hopefully will inspire me to cook more in this hot weather in the desert.

• cofty
    cofty

Loving this thread.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

OK, Cofty, share the love! What's your favorite recipe!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit