The Good Food Thread

by MrsCedars 64 Replies latest jw friends

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

As Mr Cedars already mentioned, I love trying out new recipes and have fun while cooking, so I would love to share my discoveries with you and learn from you. It would be great to know where you get your recipes from and whether you have made up some recipes that you are able to share with others. My inspiration comes from the ingredients I have at hand, very often leftovers, and also home grown produce, herbs and spices. Often I will find great recipes on YouTube, but I also love going through my cook books (which I'm trying to collect) and jazzing up the recipes to my taste. I still have a lot to learn, but I have come a long way since I first started cooking for Mr Cedars.

I think the first recipe on this thread should by the one that OODAD has posted on other thread...

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

SHRIMP SCAMPI

Ingredients

• 1 Red Bell pepper
    • Artichoke Hearts
    • 1 - 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined - tails left on
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • Olive oil
    • 1 small onion, sliced thinly
    • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    • 1 lemon, juiced
    • 1/2 cup white wine
    • 1/2 cup shrimp or vegetable stock
    • 2 tablespoons cold butter
    • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
    • Lemon slices, for garnish
    • Pasta or Rice, as accompaniment

Directions

*DO THIS FIRST: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, artichoke hearts, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about 6 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl; cover to keep warm.

Season the shrimp thoroughly with salt and pepper. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add enough oil to lightly coat the pan. Add the shrimp and quickly saute until just starting to turn pink, but not cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onions and saute just until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add the lemon juice, white wine, and stock, and reduce by 2/3, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and the other veggies back into the pan and swirl in the butter. Finish with the parsley and check for seasoning. Garnish with lemon slices and serve over rice.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/shrimp-scampi-recipe/index.html

Other than that, I look forward to receiving your submissions, and talking about great food!

Mrs Cedars

• minimus
    minimus

So, Mrs. Cedars, you are here to share some recipes?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Well Hello there Mrs. Cedars and welcome

• james_woods
    james_woods

If so, it is a great asset to the board, Minimus! (I am here to Wibble and to promote the Ferrari...)

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Update to my recipe. It says serve over rice, but I often substitute a pasta. Fettucine works nicely!

00DAD

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

That’s one of the reasons why I’m here. I noticed that there weren’t many similar threads so why not? However, I do appreciate that others come here for more serious discussions, which I may join from time to time, but for now here is one simple recipe.

By Jamie Oliver

ingredients

• 1/4 cup butter

• 1/3 cup sugar (vanilla sugar is nice)

• grated rind and juice of 1 lemon

• 2 large eggs, separated

• 61/2 tablespoons self-rising flour

• 11/4 cups milk

method

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cream the butter, sugar and lemon rind in a mixing bowl. Add the egg yolks and flour and beat in, then add the milk and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix well.

Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff, then add the rest of the mixture. Mix it all well but don’t overmix it; you don’t want the air to come out of the egg whites. Pour into a buttered ovenproof dish, stand the dish in a roasting pan about a third full of water, then bake in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes until the top is set and spongy and it’s a nice golden colour.

Only I do it in double quantity and with vanilla pod. Also I add a tiny bit more flour and bake it in a square ovenproof dish (so you can see the layers once it’s baked). Once it's done I let it chill for good few hours. Final product is great chilled lemony-custardy-spongy cake for hot days.

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

james_woods can you tell me more about Wibble?

• DT
    DT

Welcome Mrs. Ceders. I like your avatar.

A recipe is like a story with a happy ending.

• minimus
    minimus

Please make me some lobster pie.

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

I agree DT!

Sure minimus! Just have to find a recipe for it!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit