1/2 cup sour cream
    1 envelope (.9 ounce) dry vegetable soup and dip mix
    1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
    1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
    1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
    1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    1 garlic clove, pressed
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375°F. Unroll one package of crescent dough across one end of
    Stoneware Bar Pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. Repeat with
    remaining package of dough, filling pan. Using Baker's Roller(TM), roll dough to
    seal perforations and press up sides to form crust. Bake 10-12 minutes or until
    light golden brown; remove from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack.

Meanwhile, in Classic Batter Bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and soup mix;
    mix well. Drain spinach in small Colander, squeezing out as much moisture as
    possible; add to batter bowl. Drain artichokes and water chestnuts in colander;
    chop with Food Chopper. Add artichokes, water chestnuts, feta cheese and garlic
    pressed with Garlic Press to batter bowl; mix well.

Spread spinach mixture evenly over crust. Using Deluxe Cheese Grater, grate
    Parmesan cheese over filling. Bake 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
    Remove from oven; cut into squares with Utility Knife. Serve using Mini-Serving
    Spatula.

Yield: 24 appetizers

Nutrients per serving: (1 square): Calories 150, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 3 g,
    Cholesterol 10 mg, Carbohydrate 12 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 360 mg, Fiber 2 g

Cook's Tip: One-half of a 1.7-ounce envelope dry vegetable soup and dip mix can
    be substituted for the .9-ounce envelope, if desired.

Source: Pampered Chef

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Food..

One of my favorite subjects on JWD..

Most people are unaware that..

Beer is a Food Group..

........................... ...OUTLAW

• umadevi
    umadevi

Welcome Mrs Cedars! Yummy recipe!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

As people who know me will tell you...I'm cheap as hell but I like to cook briskets. Well, briskets are currently selling for about $35 to $40 a piece now but I still need to eat meat so I found a nice cheap alternative, pork shoulder.

I can get a 5 pound pork shoulder for about 7 or 8 bucks.

Cook it at 275 for about 5 hours or until it's 165 and holding it there for a few minutes.

You can spice it up any way you like. Last Saturday I coated one with spicy mustard and then rubbed it down with salt, black pepper, cayenne, garlic, and sage.

I cook mine in a Pampered Chef stoneware crock and usually lay it on a bed of onions and cover with foil.

Delicious and it leaves more money for Pabst Blue Ribbon.

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

Thank you everybody for warm welcome and for sharing recipes. That’s the entire point of this thread, for everyone to share.

Open Mind that Cedar Plank Salmon recipe sounds delicious.

James W , I will have to try your oyster recipe, I love coriander, never had it in this combination. I am a lot like you, I don’t measure ingredients, but when baking I noticed that most of the time it is necessary, or it goes all wrong. On the frogs issue, I have never prepared them myself, I had them in a restaurant, however I did find the recipe, it will be up on Wibble, if Wibble allows it.

Anne B , I agree with you, there are cooking boards for that, and I do participate in some, however this is forum for various topics for “Friends” that have JW past in common, and one thing that “friends” discuss is food. I know this is not for everyone, but I thought that people that takes pleasure in cooking might appreciate the thread.

00DAD , I like your version of Cedar Plank Salmon too. I LOVE salmon (and fish in general), especially grilled or with pesto/pecorino crust. I will probably have it with some veggies (when I find the cedar plank). Thank you for that asparagus recipe. Yummy. Nice choice of wine too. Mrs 00DAD must be very happy with her cook!

Talesin , thank you for sharing the fish cake recipe. I love making and eating fish cakes (especially with sweet chilli lemongrass sauce). As you are writing a recipe column I believe we will all benefit from your contributions on this thread. We all need tasty and inexpensive recipes for busy days. I can't wait for your new one.

ScenicViewer , thank you for the welcome, and hope you join in!

FreeGirl, thank you for your recipe. I will definitely try this sometime soon (can I use artichokes from my garden?)

Outlaw , a dancing rubber chicken and beer for dinner - just what I always wanted!! Thank you for your profound input. I think you are a very important poster for this kind of thread, so keep them coming. Can you tell us more about the beer of your choice?

sooner7nc , thank you for your recipe. Pork, mustard, onion and sage, you can’t go wrong there!!

cofty, do share the love!

and minimus I would feel sorry to put lobster in a pie, but you asked for it. It's from the food network, not my recipe.

Lobster Pie

Ingredients

5 (1-pound) lobsters

1/2 pound butter

2 tablespoons lemon juice

3 cups crushed snack crackers

4 sprigs parsley

Lemon wedges

Directions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water and add the lobsters. When the water comes to a second boil, cook the lobsters for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the lobsters from the water and let cool. Crack the tails, knuckles and claws. Pick out the meat from the shells over a bowl to hold the juices. Reserve the tomalley. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add the tomalley and lemon juice. Remove from heat and stir in the crushed snack crackers. Add enough reserved lobster juice so the mixture is thick like turkey stuffing. Divide lobster meat among 4 individual casserole dishes. Cover each dish with the cracker mixture, patting it on evenly. Bake until the top begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the dishes from the oven and garnish each with a parsley sprig and a lemon wedge.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

MrsCedars, Yes, Mrs 00DAD, (aka 00WIFE) is fabulously happy with her chef husband.

Last night we had Grilled Skirt Steak with Roasted Jalapeno Chimichurri, grilled bell peppers and onions and a side of steamed rice. Mmmm! You'll want to pair this with a full-bodied red wine such as a big cabernet or a tasty Zinfandel.

Grilled Skirt Steak with Roasted Jalapeno Chimichurri

Ingredients

• 2 jalapeno chiles
    • 2 cups cilantro leaves and sprigs, finely chopped, and/or
    • 2 cups parsley leaves and sprigs, finely chopped
    • 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
    • 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
    • 3 tbsp dry red wine
    • 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
    • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • Optional:
      • Red pepper flakes, and/or
      • Chile powder
      • 1/4 Onion
      • Oregano
    • One 2-lb skirt steak

Directions

Preheat a grill or grill pan to high.

Roast the jalapenos on the grill until charred on all sides. Put in a bag or covered bowl to steam and cool a little; then peel, stem, and seed the chiles.

Put the jalapenos, cilantro, parsley, garlic, lime juice, red wine, vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor or blender and pulse to blend. Taste for salt, adding more if needed, and blend again.

Brush the steak with olive oil and generously season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill the steak, turning once, until medium-rare, 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Transfer to a plate, tent with foil, and let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Slice the steak 1/2 inch thick across the grain with the knife blade tilted at a 45 degree angle, pile on a serving platter, and top with some chimichurri; pass extra sauce at the table. Serves 4.

- - - - - - -

People who haven't worked a lot with jalapenos, Scotch bonnets, anchos, guajillos, and poblanos might not realize that these different spicy chiles also have pronounced and unique flavors - or that those flavors change when the peppers are roasted or grilled. Here, the grassy-herbal jalapeno picks up a bittersweet char on the grill and still lends its familiar kick to this variation on garlicky South American chimichurri sauce. And there's no better cut for this recipe than juicy, chewy-in-the-best-way skirt steak, grilled just to medium-rare.

BTW, I've tried the chimichurri with just cilantro and just parsley and found that for my tastes it is definitely better when you use 1/2 of both! Mmmm. Tonight is leftovers.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

BTW, 00WIFE, my Hungarian Goddess, makes a helluva' Paprikás Csirke served over a bed of homemade Nokedle. Maybe one day I'll get her to commit the recipe to paper.

She makes it the way her mother showed her. Her mother learned it from her mother ... you get the idea. No one ever wrote it down.

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

OODAD you are quite a chef, and I would love if your Hungarian Goddess share some authentic recipes with us. Cedars loves a good steak so I will definitely try your recipe.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

OK, nobody's added to this in a while so I thought I'd share what 00WIFE and I had last night. It's another one of our favorites and it's pretty easy to make, but it does leave a lot of dirty dishes from the prep work. I've modified it somewhat from the original recipe by Emeril (see footnote for link to the original).

SHRIMP SCAMPI

Ingredients

• 1 Red Bell pepper
    • Artichoke Hearts
    • 1 - 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined - tails left on, or not
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • Olive oil
    • 1 small onion, sliced thinly
    • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    • 1 lemon, juiced
    • 1/2 cup white wine
    • 1/2 cup shrimp or vegetable stock
    • 2 tablespoons cold butter
    • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
    • Lemon slices, for garnish
    • Pasta or Rice, as accompaniment, Fettuccine is my favorite for this.

Servings: 4 - 6

Directions

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large (nonstick) skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, artichoke hearts, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about 6 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl; cover to keep warm.

Season the shrimp thoroughly with salt, pepper and some lemon juice. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add enough oil to lightly coat the pan. Add the shrimp and quickly saute until just starting to turn pink, but not cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside. Be careful not to fully cook the shrimp. They'll continue to cook a bit in the bowl and you'll be adding them back into the mix at the end.

Add the onions and saute just until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add the lemon juice, white wine, and stock, and reduce by 2/3, about 5 minutes. Swirl in the butter. When it has melted, add the shrimp and the other veggies back into the pan. Finish with the parsley and check for seasoning. Garnish with lemon slices and serve over a bed of pasta or rice.

Wine Pairing Recommendation: I like a not-too-sweet Pinot Grigio or a medium Pinot Noir with this.

Note: Depending on what you prepare as an accompaniment--rice or pasta, you'll need to plan carefully to have it all come out at the same time. If you are making rice you'll probably want to start that first and then begin sautéing the veggies immediately. If you are having pasta, it works out well to get the pot hot and then put the pasta in after you finish with the veggies and right before you start cooking the shrimp.

Mangia

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/shrimp-scampi-recipe/index.html

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

I love your recipe, I do something similar, only without artichokes. Actually, I was going to post one pasta recipe myself. This is what I make when I'm short on time.

Roasted Summer Vegetables Pasta

Ingredients: (all optional and you can always add more or less vegetables of your choice or change it up)

1 aubergine

1 large red onion

few peppers of your choice (depending on your choice you will need the moderate the amount, meaty ones are better)

1 courgette

chestnut mushrooms (optional)

1 chilli (finely minced)

few pear tomatoes (the more you put the juicier)

olive oil

Italian herbs

season to taste

3 garlic cloves (finely minced)

rigatoni

Directions

Very simple. Wash your veggies and cut them all to similar bite size pieces. Coat them in olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs and spread on the baking sheet (if needed spread it on two baking sheets if it's too crowded on one). The vegetables need to be properly roasted, if not they will look more like they are steamed and will not taste the same.

5-10 min before the veggies are done add the garlic, stir the veggies and you can add splash or two of balsamic vinegar.

At the that time start cooking the pasta in salted water.

When pasta and vegetables are done, combine all (if too dry add a bit of cooking water and a bit more of olive oil)

Finish off with some grated Parmigiano Reggiano and fresh basil

If you want to jazz it up you can add

1 packet of long thin sausages (roast them cut up with vegetables)

or

smoky bacon

or even tuna (rio mare in olive oil)

Another twist on it is to omit the tomatoes and add the cream at the end.

Bon appétit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit