What happened to politeness?

by Seeker 101 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

Oh the shame..caught snooping thru your threads

Funny you hear rumors about online "rules" of conduct...but never actually see them.....

• teejay
    teejay

Funny you hear rumors about online "rules" of conduct...but never actually see them.....

Zee,

What's even funnier than that is that once I suggested starting a thread to which we could all contribute. It would be a list establishing appropriate, db behavior. I was accused of wanting to be an arbiter of online behavior.

Needless to say, that idea didn't go over very well. Maybe if someone else suggested it...

• Prisca
    Prisca

Politeness on this DB went out the window when a bunch of H20ers (not including you Seeker) joined up here a year ago. What used to be polite chats now blow up into conflict.

Not pretty.

• teejay
    teejay

Btw, at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=19615&site=3, I entertained this very matter. In it, I brought together several comments that others had made at the time, comments that bear on this issue. It might be worth a look.

tj - a former h20er, Prisca!

• Patriot
    Patriot

...In NYC..never heard of that..*

• Xena
    Xena

I remember that thread teejay...it was a very good one! Made lots of good points about how we can disagree without having to label others or made rude personal comments. Thank you for the link!

But rules of conduct are only good for those that use them....unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your viewpoint)...we have no "police" here to enforce their use.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Greetings, Seeker!

I believe people who act as you describe in online settings are either, stupid, ignorant, frustrated or else just plain ole egotistical fools, which means they’re frustrated ignoramuses, which means they’re stupid.

There is no sound, or moral, reason for walking away from giving an insult without defending it or else apologizing. A person might complain they feel as though they were talking to an imbecile, and therefore applied some insult out of frustration. But if a person really is an imbecile then intelligence dictates just walking away at the point of realization. Why waste time insulting an asshole in the first place? I mean, how much character damage can you do to an asshole? On the other hand, even assholes have feelings, and intelligent people tend to avoid inflicting needless emotional hurt.

By the way, if you are the same Seeker that use to converse with Friend then I have a private message for you. It appears you have been on this forum for quite awhile, but somehow that escaped my notice until now. Otherwise I would have tried contacting you earlier. I will explain in private email. My email is open, but how can I know if you are the one responding to me, assuming you will?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Ah, just tell them to piss off...remember, 99% of the pop. are ignorant. (Rough estimates, methinks)

ashi

• Seeker
    Seeker

Marvin,

I did indeed have lots of threads with Friend in the past, but am I the Seeker you are thinking of? I don't know. There was Seeker4 as well, and he may have spoken with Friend quite a bit too. Can you be a bit more specific, or shall I just email you?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire
    refiners fool

Now see, there you go again.
    Tell you what.
    Im gonna ignore that insult and break the chain. I'll even ignore your next 2 insults as well.
    I reckon thats fair.
    But after that, if you insult me again, Im gonna remember it and wait till the next time your depressed again. No use hittin someone unless theres a chance of it hurting, now is there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit