Baby Ospreys

by palmtree67 100 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

The feed is choppy for me right now, so I can't see the hatchling.....

I read that about raptors, too, EE.

I find this fascinating..... I can't stop watching them.....

• elderelite
    elderelite

Set you a pm palmie

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Replied!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Replied again.

• palmtree67
  • palmtree67
    palmtree67

No babies yet.....I'm hoping for a father's day hatching, since the father has been around a bit today.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The Ospreys in Wales almost lost both babies in the recent rain. Thanks to human intervention one survived!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

We have many ospreys in the area and I learned something new about them apparently when they grab a fish they have to be careful of its size because if its too big and heavy they can't release it and could drown.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Like a lot of things nancy some fact, some fiction.... many attempts to catch result in no catch at all... on occasion an opreys talons will sink into a fish and the fish naturaly struggles, sending the talons deeper. On rare ocassions the fish is so large the osprey cant fly. Usually the bird will struggle with the fish until it can get it to shallow water and drown it, and dislodge it and eat it. Its a dangerous manuver and exposes the osprey to attack from other predators. And on rare ocassion it can result in the osprey drowining itself, although its argued those birds are sick or injured already, making them vuneranble to accidents of any sort...

What has long facinated me about osprey is they are the only raptor to have a moveable toe. Most raptors have three in front one in back. The osprey can move its outer toe so it has two in front, two in back to better hold fish. They are even smart enough to turn fish "face forwards" in flight to make them more airodynamic. ;-)

• Glander
    Glander

The other parent just came and relieved the one that has been there all morning. The eggs are still unhatched. Not sure of how to ID the sex of the two adults. Have get out the bird book.

I love this site.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit