How many here smoke?

by cantleave 52 Replies latest jw friends

• red21
    red21

Well, if there is one thing good that comes out of being a JW it is not smoking. My mother died of lung cancer, so did my father, and my wife's mother. So, no thank you. Dirty habit in my opinion and I could never be with a woman that did smoke...just me mind you.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I started smoking at 13, gave it up at 17 in order to be baptized, and abstained for seven years. But I never lost my craving for cigarettes. It was absolute torture to see someone smoking in a movie or television show! I loved to be around people who were smoking. I started back after I left the cult and have smoked ever since. Yes, I've tried the patch and pills several times, and nothing has broken that craving. I know it's crazy! My granddaddy died from COPD from smoking, and my husband's sister and mother both died from lung cancer. Since the price has gone up so high, we now buy cigarettes at the roll your on stores where you purchase the tubes and cut pipe tobacco and use a commercial rolling machine. There are none of the chemicals of regular cigarettes, and my husband and I both smoke a little less. I'm trying to cut back some more.

If you don't smoke, please don't start. It is NOT cool to be a slave to craving and impulse.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Chemicals In Cigarettes

The chemicals in cigarettes and tobacco smoke make smoking harmful.

Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 different chemicals, at least 50 are known to be carcinogens (cause cancer in humans) and many are poisonous.

Cigarettes are one of few products which can be sold legally which can harm and even kill you over time if used as intended.

There are ongoing lawsuits in the USA which aim to hold tobacco companies responsible for the effects of smoking on the health of long term smokers.

This is not an exhaustive list of the chemicals in cigarettes but it gives examples that many people will be able to recognise and relate to the harmful health effects of smoking them.

Harmful Chemicals In Cigarettes
    ChemicalDescription
    Benzene
    (petrol additive)
    • A colourless cyclic hydrocarbon obtained from coal and petroleum, used as a solvent in fuel and in chemical manufacture - and contained in cigarette smoke.
    • A It known carcinogen associated with leukaemia.
    Formaldehyde
    (embalming fluid)
    • A colourless liquid, highly poisonous, used to preserve dead bodies - also found in cigarette smoke.
    • Known to cause cancer, respiratory, skin and gastrointestinal problems.
    Ammonia
    (toilet cleaner)
    • Used as a flavouring, frees nicotine from tobacco turning it into a gas
    • Often found in dry cleaning fluids.
    Acetone
    (nail polish remover)
    • Fragrant volatile liquid ketone, used as a solvent, for example, nail polish remover
    • Found in cigarette smoke.
    Tar
    • Particulate matter drawn into lungs when you inhale on a lighted cigarette. Once inhaled, smoke condenses and about 70 per cent of the tar in the smoke is deposited in the smoker's lungs.
    Nicotine
    (insecticide/addictive drug)
    • One of the most addictive substances known to man, a powerful and fast-acting medical and non-medical poison.
    • This is the chemical which causes addiction.
    Carbon Monoxide (CO)
    (car exhaust fumes)
    • An odourless, tasteless and poisonous gas, rapidly fatal in large amounts
    • The same gas that comes out of car exhausts
    • The main gas in cigarette smoke, formed when the cigarette is lit
    Others
    • Arsenic (rat poison)
    • Hydrogen Cyanide (gas chamber poison)
  • THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I once wanted to be a smoker and tried a few cigarettes but didn’t like the taste. I had to accept that I would never be a smoker and would have to die of something else. Many years later I tried a cigar which I loved. I now have 3 or 4 a year in the hot weather on special occasions.

Such a small amount is not life threatening. I am more likely to die in the Roman arena.

• Nambo
    Nambo

I do, and whats more, it doesnt stop me recieving Holy Spirit thereby identifing the JWs stand as being another of their "docrines of men".

When you consider they would stone someone to death (disfellowship), or deny them a relationship with God for something God himself obviously isnt so hung up about, shows what a dangerous religion they are.

I was going to give up again but decided to keep smoking in view of all the Uranium and Plutoniom particles flying around in the air, there is a school of though that suggests the increase in lung cancer isnt as a result of smoking, its a result of all the nucleur bomb testing, smoking makes a suitable scapegoat, whereas smoking has been observed to encourage the lungs to self clean more due to the lung irritation smoking causes.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Never started, never will.

My mother had lung cancer (thru passive smoking) and watching her slowly die of that horrible disease was enough to swear me off smoking - ever. The JWs' stance had nothing to do with my decision.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

For those who think smoking doesn't do any harm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM2C0fiZcp8

• jemba
    jemba

Ive smoked a few as jw but never really cared for them. Usually smoked one if out drinking: once in a blue moon.

But it could never be an addiction for me as it gives me head spins and I'd never allow myself to get hooked as its a killer on your health and pocket. $10+ for a pack of 20 here in Australia as far as I know. Heavily taxed.

So yeah probably about 20 cigarettes in my whole life... and only as a dub. I guess that means I was just rebelling.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

a spliff every now and then. a cigar maybe once or twice a year. a few cigs only when i'm really drunk (always regretting it afterwards). but i'd call myself a non-smoker.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

there is a school of though that suggests the increase in lung cancer isn't as a result of smoking, its a result of all the nuclear bomb testing,

HA HA HA ...... Must have come from the school of complacent idiocy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit