How many here smoke?

by cantleave 52 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

I don't and am very unlikely to after seeing my father dying of a smoking related lung disease (even though I would like to try a high quality cigar).

But I am curious to see how many people take up smoking after leaving the org.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I know a bunch of people who have left the org and started smoking, but I'm not one of them (unless you count my foray into weed for a very short time). Cigarettes aren't my thing.

• zoiks
    zoiks

A fine cigar, from time to time. No cigarettes, though.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its a common occurrence of people particularly the young, to experiment with forbidden things while being a proclaiming JW.

Cigarettes, booze, drugs even sex, stifling oppression has a psychological effect on people .

You could class me with this group but eventually my maturing intellect told me that these habits were heath dangerous and I stopped

them all.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Never smoked. Never will.

In fact, when looking for a new girlfriend on match dot com after my divorce, I filtered out all of the smokers. That dropped the number of eligibles a lot.

• blondie
    blondie

My parents were both heavy smokers. My brothers and I have paid permanently with chronic ear infections and operations because of the constant exposure. Yes, my jw mother smoked until 1973 like many jws did. I have a sensitivity to smoke, sneezing nonstop just standing next to a heavy smoker, just from the smoke that clings to their clothes. I am happy I live in an area where smoking is not allowed at work, restaurants, bars, theaters, grocery stores, etc. If people are smokers, I might not be able to visit their home...but then I'm allergic to cats and have to avoid the homes of friends with cats. So I don't smoke and it was not the edict from the WTS that influenced me.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i smoked as a 14 year old kid at school--got free ciggies off a mate--whose father got boxloads free through business contacts.

when i started work i couldnt afford to buy them. by then i was baptised--but it wasnt a DF offence back in those days.

when i met my 2nd wife -to-be--in 1983--she smoked--so i started again--and did so for the next 13 years--till a heart attack nearly cancelled me out.

i stopped there and then--never have since.

BUT--if they were NOT harmful--and affordable--i would smoke now. i thoroughly enjoyed it.

in the UK they cost about £6 a pack of 20--i think. most of that money goes in tax.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I smoked from the age of fifteen until I was twenty-one. My wife smoked too when we first got married, but we both gave up as part of our determination to make a go of Da Truf, boy, I wish we hadn't decided that, but giving up smoking was a good thing.

A nice cigar at Christmas is still tempting. Maybe I will this year.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Occasional cigar or pipe.

• cofty
    cofty

Never appealed to me at all but I fancy trying a cigar, any tips?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit